Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 01:47 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
Don't forget millions of immigrants who don't really have a lot of emotional attachment with Canada but will pick a country with 10X jobs opportunities and lower cost of living without much hesitation. I know many who moved to Canada from developing world, obtain citizenship and then find jobs in the US, not many who move to the US, obtain citizenship and find jobs in Canada. For them, many of Canada's advantage (being more liberal, equal, or whatever "spiritual" stuff) means absolutely nothing. What prevents them from moving is simply the US greencard is extremely difficult to obtain.
It is Canada's best-kept-secret that a lot of the immigrants admitted here came to Canada because they couldn't get into the U.S. Now, the reality is that many of these immigrants end up liking life in Canada and put down roots here, to the point that they completely give up on the American Dream they once had.

Although statistics are hard to find, I have seen studies that estimate that between one fifth to one quarter of all the immigrants taken in by Canada do eventually end up moving to the States.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:50 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think the number of Americans taking a Canadian offer, would be in such large numbers it would shock America. .
I don't think so. Getting Canadian permanent residency is relatively simple and easy. A lot of Americans could become Canadian PRs if they really wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I really cannot understand a Canadian wanting to become an American at this time in our history. Unless it was a Canadian that would reap a number of benefits career/personal wise by living in the US and taking US citizenship.
There can be many reasons why. Maybe, some Canadians on this forum could explain. There are already lots of Canadians living in the US and I'm pretty sure even now there are many who would come if they had the opportunity.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
More Canadians (especially highly skilled professionals such as doctors, lawyers, managers et) will move south compared with the reverse direction, most likely.
For example, what's the advantage of living in Vancouver versus in Seattle? Or Toronto versus San Fransico-Bay Area or Boston? Calgary versus Houston/Austin etc?
But don't forget that a lot of what some people see as the good stuff about the States (with regards to economic opportunity, capitalism, etc.) would eventually be present and become the norm in Canadian cities as well if the U.S. annexed Canada.

If you are a native Torontonian or a Vancouverite and all your friends and family are there, why leave your home for Chicago or Seattle for what are essentially the same economic and social conditions?

Old 07-05-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
There can be many reasons why. Maybe, some Canadians on this forum could explain. There are already lots of Canadians living in the US and I'm pretty sure even now there are many who would come if they had the opportunity.
Well, for starters, the economic marketplace in the U.S. is ten times bigger. If you're an ambitious person, that is a big deal.

Sure, the poor in the States tend to be poorer than the poorest Canadians, but the rich in the U.S. are also quite a bit richer. If you are confident that once in the States you will end up in the latter (richer) group, then it's worth the gamble I suppose. At least that is how a lot of people see things.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:00 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, for starters, the economic marketplace in the U.S. is ten times bigger. If you're an ambitious person, that is a big deal.

Sure, the poor in the States tend to be poorer than the poorest Canadians, but the rich in the U.S. are also quite a bit richer. If you are confident that once in the States you will end up in the latter (richer) group, then it's worth the gamble I suppose. At least that is how a lot of people see things.
Acajack, you forgot to mention the majority of Americans who are neither poor nor rich. You don't think the US is only about poor or rich, do you? This majority of people enjoy a pretty high standard of living, as the majority of Canadians do.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Not sure about the other questions, but the TV channels such as CTV apparently won't be able to survive if there is free competition. Just by looking at what TV shows Canadians are watching and we will all know how "competitive" Canadian TV industry is.
The same probably will go for big names such as Air Canada, Rogers etc. They will be dead in no time.
As far as I am concerned, CTV and Global are for all intents and purposes already American television networks anyway...

Old 07-05-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Acajack, you forgot to mention the majority of Americans who are neither poor nor rich. You don't think the US is only about poor or rich, do you? This majority of people enjoy a pretty high standard of living.
Of course not. I do realize that the United States is not Brazil.

However, people (Canadians in particular) do tend to focus on the extremes at both ends because that is what stands out.

Middle class Americans are the majority of the population, just like middle class Canadians are the majority here. But most middle-class Canadians who move to the States don't move there to become middle class Americans. At the very least most of them aspire to be affluent, upper middle-class people in the U.S. And to be honest, a good number of them really do want to get filthy stinking rich down there. So they've pretty much all got their eye on the rich end of the spectrum as representative of a certain "America".

And likewise, those Canadians who have no desire to move to the States often focus (somewhat exaggeratedly) on the other end of the spectrum, and focus on American poverty, crime, ghettos, people with no health coverage, etc.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:11 PM

701 posts, read 1,899,814 times
Quote:

Yes, and to be fair, many really don't have much choice.
I myself have a few friends who are students of prestigeous Canadian universities, such UofT or UBC etc. They told me they will move to the US after getting their degree simply because there are no or very few jobs in their areas. For example one majors in biology and wants to work in a large pharmaceutical company. Canada doesn't seem to offer that sort of opportunities. My other friend who studies telecommunication left for the same reason. Another will eventually leave as he believes there is no future for him in the field of chemistry.

I am lucky enough to have a job and have been trying to convince friends in the US to come as life will be easier and less stressful. Their response was almost unanimous: no jobs up there, as they have heard or even know PhDs driving taxis or sell toilets in Canadian Tire in Toronto or Vancouver.

And you are right about wanting to be rich thing. For example, it is natural for someone doing finance to want to work for JP Morgan or Goldman Sachs in New York more than for RBC or BMO in Toronto, because the former may pay two or three times the salary, not to mention a 50K bonus in not rare in US banks. You don't get these in Canada. In the end, these economics count more than anything else.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:20 PM

701 posts, read 1,899,814 times
Quote:
As far as I am concerned, CTV and Global are for all intents and purposes already American television networks anyway...
Sadly true.
Can anyone recommend a TV channel that is predominantly Canadian content (other than news or Canadian Idol)?

Old 07-05-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Sadly true.
Can anyone recommend a TV channel that is predominantly Canadian content (other than news or Canadian Idol)?
Well, the CBC certainly is but I think you are referring to private (English-language) networks.

On the French side, of course, almost all of them are predominantly Canadian content. The most popular (private) TV network in Quebec, TVA, is about 85% Canadian content in prime time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.