U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 12:11 AM

17 posts, read 27,582 times
So what your saying is that you think the world would be a safer place if every responsible person had a gun to protect themselves? Or at least had the right to own one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 12:23 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,013,915 times
Hmmm, sounds like someone wants to start a thread advocating much easier access to handguns for the average Canadian.

You can talk, write, hope, and pray for that to happen, but you'll be doomed to be disappointed. The current Canadian political climate won't even permit a minority federal government ot tinker with the current gun registry system. Furthermore, I very much doubt the vast majority of Canadians would be in favour of increased access to handguns.

Even though Mark Twain once claimed there were lies, damn lies, and statistics, here are some numbers for you, olegplanets.

According to EG Krug, KE Powell and LL Dahlberg. "Firearm-related deaths in the United States and 35 other high- and upper-middle-income countries.", International Journal of Epidemiology 1998. [1] Statistics among 36 countries between 1990 and 1995. :

Firearm Homicides per 100,000: Canada 1992 -- 0.76

Firearm Homicides per 100,000: US 1993 ------ 7.07

Regardless of what social ills you wish to blame for the disparity, it's going to be very hard to convince most reasonable people that firearms homicde rates are going to decrease by allowing more people to carry pistols in their pockets.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:44 AM

Thanks Cornerguy1 for the stats, but thats all I was trying to say is that more guns = more people shot. Thats the difference in our countries Canadians don't seem to be hurt that we can't get handguns as easy. Where in the US it's your constitutional right to have one and to take away or regulate that right is just wrong.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:39 AM

6 posts, read 8,344 times
I'm really sorry but please stop pointing at our neighbours in the south. You have to understand, they have something what I would call "wild capitalism". But Canada has a lot of social programs which won't leave people desperate.
When you give me the statistics of firearm homocide rates, they are completely useless. You have to take into considiration much more in order to be able to make a more or less accurate statement about the effect of availability of guns on criminality or homocides. Just ask youself, how it that possible that the number of firearms in U.S. increases constantly but firearm homocide rate is the same as 30 years ago. Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide Trends in the United States: Trends in homicides by weapon type table (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/tables/weaponstab.htm - broken link)
I also think that limiting yourself only to firearm homocide rate is not very represantative. Guns, among other things, help people to defend themselves. I already talked about how often Canadians resort to firearms for self-protection. Imagine all these people dead. People who died because they had no means to defend themselves will not be shown in your statistics of firearm homocide rate. Whereas if you look at the total homocide rate, you know how many people were killed in total. Anyway, here is the rate of homocides involving firearms in Canada.
Canadian Homicide Trends (http://teapot.usask.ca/cdn-firearms/Gimbarzevsky/homicide.html - broken link)
Last graph, "RGtot - total homicide rate involving all firearms". It is not falling. Now take a look at these statistics: http://www.statcan.ca/francais/freepub/85-002-XIF/0060585-002-XIF.pdf (broken link) page 21, table 5. Homocide with a firearm from 1994 and onwards. There is no decrease. When you look at the statistics it is good to look at all the crimes, not just firearms deaths. The reason why is because they are all interrelated and interconnected.
There is a good study which looks at the different crimerates comparing U.S. with other countries like Canada which have very restrictive gun control laws.
http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/admin/...Experiment.pdf
In my opinion, relying on many studies, I would say that almost no country enjoyed crime rate decrease after adopting draconian gun laws. Actually, I don't know any such a case.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:29 PM

So what would you change about the current gun laws? and do you realistically think that Canadians will go for them?.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:07 PM

15,757 posts, read 19,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Hmmm, sounds like someone wants to start a thread advocating much easier access to handguns for the average Canadian.

(snip)

According to EG Krug, KE Powell and LL Dahlberg. "Firearm-related deaths in the United States and 35 other high- and upper-middle-income countries.", International Journal of Epidemiology 1998. [1] Statistics among 36 countries between 1990 and 1995. :

Firearm Homicides per 100,000: Canada 1992 -- 0.76

Firearm Homicides per 100,000: US 1993 ------ 7.07

Regardless of what social ills you wish to blame for the disparity, it's going to be very hard to convince most reasonable people that firearms homicde rates are going to decrease by allowing more people to carry pistols in their pockets.
That is actually the interesting issue...see...

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/concarry.pdf

These are the Lott et al studies and the refutation to same. Lott makes a strong argument. His opponents refute it...but do not really assert that concealed carry increases crime. So you have the interesting case where both sides basically agree that at least as it can be measured by science, pocket pistols do no harm...

Old 06-26-2007, 10:24 PM

6 posts, read 8,344 times
devil
I would allow responsible people, without psychological disabilities and who don't have criminal record to carry handguns. And of course a training course how to use firearms etc. The registry for long guns would be cancelled. I think these are the main points.
What do you mean that Canadians would go for them? If you're asking if Canadians would use this right to carry firearms, I would say yes. Of course not a majority, but still many people who need it. Also it's important to mention that government brainwashed people to the point where they would refuse to use guns even if another person attacks them with a gun. Of course I generalize but many people here in Quebec to who I talk say that guns are evil and they would not defend themselves with a gun if they had opportunity, they would rather try something else. So I think that this passive attitude which was developped for a long time will prevent people from "going for it". But if government stops advertising passive way to react to aggression and conducts honest researches about effect of gun control, then I think Canadians will become familiar with guns and won't fear it like a deadly virus. I'm not encouraging everyone to have a gun and to sleep with it, I rather say that if people who consider that they have reasonable grounds to feel unsafe should have means for protection. I think this would only make our society better. If only tight gun control measures were to prevent criminals from acquiring guns I would support such control 100% and advocate for complete ban of firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada