U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 04:41 PM

6 posts, read 8,670 times

Advertisements

I've been reading alot about gun control in Canada. Something is very unclear for me. I went over the "History of Firearms Control in Canada" on Canadian Firearm Centre and I cannot find where is it written that people cannot carry firearms with them. I think that in Canada you can keep you gun home but you cannot carry it with you. I would be very thankful if somebody could give me a direct link where it is written that Canadians cannot carry firearms, which law is that? I just cannot find this. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 06:12 PM

I'll try to be more precise. Here (History of Firearms Control in Canada: Up to and Including the Firearms Act) it says that in the beginning individuals had a right to carry firearms. But where does it say that they no longer can?

Old 06-22-2007, 07:32 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,626,545 times
I don't know if there is a law about carrying guns either.

However I believe no where in Canada can you assume your life or someone you care about's life is in danger and kill someone. Even while being physically attacked, unless the attacker attempts to shoot you you can't shoot them. (and go unpunished) They are very concerned with what's called "reasonable force." So someone armed with something like a knife cannot be shot at by anyone other than police or the military.

(from the rumours that I've heard and what little I think I know about Canadian politics. )

Old 06-22-2007, 10:47 PM

17 posts, read 28,572 times
Default This might help

Firearms Act

I can't find where it says you can't carry guns, but you can't. Maybe if the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) pulled a farmer in the country over with a shotgun in the truck he probably won't be in to much trouble but in the city you would be in trouble. You can't even buy ammo without your licenses. I remember a friend telling me a story about when he was in court, this guy was ahead of him so he got to listen to the case. So this guy broke into a truck it had a gun in it, he picked up the gun and put it down and left. They somehow found out it was him and arrested him, check the gun for fingerprints and found his. Now I think he was on parole or he got a judge in a bad mood, but when he was sentenced because he touched that gun he now had firearms charges, which added a year or two, for touching a gun.

I wonder thought we can't even own prohibited guns here (fully auto's) can you people from the US own fully automatics?

Old 06-22-2007, 11:47 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,385,545 times
Quote:
Even while being physically attacked, unless the attacker attempts to shoot you you can't shoot them. (and go unpunished) They are very concerned with what's called "reasonable force." So someone armed with something like a knife cannot be shot at by anyone other than police or the military.

Actually, ColdCanadian, there are provisions built into the Criminal Code of Canada regarding justified self-defence, specificly Section 34 CCC:

(2) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted and who causes death or grievous bodily harm in repelling the assault is justified if
(a) he causes it under reasonable apprehension of death or grievous bodily harm from the violence with which the assault was originally made or with which the assailant pursues his purposes; and

(b) he believes, on reasonable grounds, that he cannot otherwise preserve himself from death or grievous bodily harm.

R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 34; 1992, c. 1, s. 60(F).

You don't have fight a knife with a knife, or a bat with a bat.

As far as carrying guns, there are different standards for long guns and hand guns. The Firearms Act clearly spells out transportation requirements for all firearms.

Quote:
Maybe if the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) pulled a farmer in the country over with a shotgun in the truck he probably won't be in to much trouble but in the city you would be in trouble.
You may legally transport a firearm in a vehicle regardless of your location, so long as the appropriate regulations are adhered to.

Besides federal laws regarding firerams, there are also provincial statutes which regulate where and when you can carry a firearm.

Want some light reading? Try the Criminal Code of Canada:

Criminal Code

Old 06-23-2007, 01:47 PM

8,327 posts, read 22,548,027 times
My understanding is that Canada has banned concealeable firearms, ie, pistols and revolvers for private citizens, and many long guns.

Some long guns are still allowed, but must be registered if a citizen. Or declared if you're a visitor or in transit and accounted for upon leaving the country.

USA does not allow citizens fully automatic firearms except with a very expensive and restricted permit and tax to possess them. Generally, only wealthy firearms collectors or a few dealers have them.

The USA "clinton gun ban" which has expired applied to certain characteristics of firearms regarding magazine capacity, and generally speaking, a "menacing look" about the firearm which was interpreted as an "assault weapon".

The gun banners never established a relationship between the banned firearms and firearm safety in the USA, and the ban was sunsetted out. Of course, there are still many legal/legislative attempts to restore or create a new firearm ban which is clearly aimed at law abiding citizens and restricting use and ownership.

Canada has experienced a similar situation in banning firearms. There's been no corresponding reduction in gun crime by law abiding citizens and it appears that the criminal element still has ready access to firearms of their choice and continue to use them in increasing crime rates.

There's studies that suggest that the criminal element appreciates that the general population is most likely unarmed and available to prey upon. Increased violent acts upon persons using firearms have recently incresed in Canada, Australia, and England since they all banned firearms.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:55 PM

That's excacly what I'm doing. I'm doing a research on gun control in Canada. For some reason I cannot find anything pertaining precisely to the carrying of firearms. I'm sure I can find information by reading through the criminal code but at this point I'd rather want a summury. Anyhow, I think I found some information of what I've been looking for and I'm ready to share it with anybody who might be interested. So the law passed in 1977 divided all firearms into three caterogies. For some reason, handguns fall under the category of restricted weapons. While its actually true that there was never a law which prohibited carrying firearms, its almost impossible to get a carry permit for self-defense.
Quote:
Handgun carry permits for self-protection are issued "only in exceptional cases" where the issuing officer is "satisfied" of the applicant's need.
The Failure of Canadian Gun Control
I think it's really sad that people in a free country cannot defend themselves if threatened with a deadly harm.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:21 PM

Default not understanding

"I think it's really sad that people in a free country cannot defend themselves if threatened with a deadly harm."

We are allowed to defend ourselves it just won't likely be with a gun. If you said defend yourself, my first thought is not a gun. Now i'm not saying that there is no crime here but if I need a gun to defend myself, then my neighbor will want one and so on. The more guns that are easily accessible the more people will have them. If you need a gun to protect yourself then your somewhere where you shouldn't be or you're a RCMP. I can't find the rates but how many gun death's per capita happen here (total dead not just crime related) compared to the US.

Sure some criminals have guns but as everyone has already said criminals will be criminals regardless of weapons. So why make guns easy to get, so you can have more school shootings? or more guns for criminals?. Just look at videos on the internet, which modern western country has the most clips of people getting shot or hurt with a gun?. Crazy people are everywhere I just think If everyone had a gun and was safe that would be great but unfortunately people aren't so don't blame the criminal, blame yourself for giving them the gun in the first place.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:27 PM

One final quick thought its not the guns that are the problem, its the underlying social issues that can't or won't be helped such as health-care, racism, education, media, war and politics. Both are countries face these problems and if we helped these issues more there would be less criminals in the first place.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:34 PM

Hmm, if "it just won't likely be with a gun", then I can tell you, your chances of having a successful defense are really low if you are threatened with a deadly harm, such as another gun or a knife. I agree with you, of course it won't likely be a gun, because we practically cannot use it. I also agree with you that these are precisely social issues which have a significant influence on violence and crime rate. However, nowhere did I say that more guns should be easily acceptable. I said that a law-abiding citizen which has no criminal record of psychological dysfunctionning should have a right to defend his life if such a necessity arises. And it does, because “Canadians report using firearms to protect themselves between 60,000 and 80,000 times per year from dangerous people or animals. Between 19,000 and 37,500 of these incidents involve defense against human threats.” (Mauser 1996)http://www.saf.org/journal/11Mauser.pdf (broken link)
Even more, I will tell you "how many gun death's per capita happen here". The last year that I could find is 2002, in which 816 firearm related death occured. http://www.statcan.ca/english/freepub/82-003-XIE/0040482-003-XIE.pdf (broken link) page 44
Now make a quick calculation. Imagine, that at least in 5% of those cases where firearm was used for self-protection a life has been saved. Compare now this number to that of total firearm related death. Moreover, most of gun deaths result from a suicide. Yes, gun control helps to reduce suicide gun rate, little problem, researches show that suicides increase proportionally by other means. One last thing, page 39 of that same document, look how rare the accidents are. Try to type in google "car accidents" or something and compare the numbers. Shouldn't cars be prohibited? Just one thing I forgot to mention. When you say "blame yourself for giving them the gun in the first place" I understand that you imply that criminals get their guns from ordinary citizens. If that is what you mean then I have to tell you, very small number of guns purchased legally ends up in the hands of criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada