U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:17 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,065,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There isn't a single state in the union with a minimum wage "less than half of that" because the federal minimum wage is $7.25/hr. And while exchange rates currently have the two currencies very close to one another, typically the Canadian dollar is worth about 15-20% less. So if exchange rates return to recent trends, that would put Ontario's minimum wage at about $8 to $8.50/hr, which incidentally straddles the difference of Illinois' minimum wage of $8.25. So it's not that ridiculously high.
No. It's less than 4% higher.

CADUSD=X 1 Jul 21 0.9625

$10.25*0.9625 = $9.87 US

$9.87 > $8.50
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 01:50 PM

35,926 posts, read 55,265,215 times
Did you read the entire post?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:32 AM

16 posts, read 16,091 times
I can tell you if you put an ad in any employment site for a packager warehouse person @$10/hr in TO your phone will ring off the hook.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:56 AM

507 posts, read 467,697 times
Canada is a civilized country, US is not, simple.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:46 PM

705 posts, read 616,555 times
Don't believe this and let's take a look at today's Toronto star

Few aware of labour rights in Toronto

Sue Zheng was happy to land her first job in Toronto at a manicure salon. But there was a catch: she had to pay a $400 deposit to work there, and receive only $25 a day for 10 hours of work, seven days a week. She took the job anyway.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:23 PM

507 posts, read 467,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
Don't believe this and let's take a look at today's Toronto star

Few aware of labour rights in Toronto

Sue Zheng was happy to land her first job in Toronto at a manicure salon. But there was a catch: she had to pay a $400 deposit to work there, and receive only $25 a day for 10 hours of work, seven days a week. She took the job anyway.
Not Canada's fault she went to work for a Chinese criminal tong !
There is actual slave factor in south FL fields and hundreds of thouands of
Chinese working in same conditions living 20 people in 12x 12 room in NYC.

I've lived in both and Canada is VASTLY more civilized although many would prefer a more uncultured atmosphere to be sure.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:03 PM

35,926 posts, read 55,265,215 times
Oh sure, Ontario is just one big bastion of high culture and sophistication. I learned this by watching the Red Green show.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 PM

4,405 posts, read 4,152,042 times
There are some US places, mostly in the midwest and south.....were they have jobs that are not exactly survival jobs (like admin assistants) that pay that and think it's a livable wage.
The joke minumum wage though (US Like) in Canada, is BC's: 8.80 hourly with more taxes and a higher cost of living.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:53 PM

848 posts, read 1,296,531 times
There's some obvious trolling up above that I'm not going to bother to fuel, but here's an additional facet to the discussion of minimum wage that various folks growing up on one side of our border or the other might not have an awareness of:

In the USA, the federal government sets a minimum wage, and that becomes a minimum for the states to set theirs. Not all our states do so, a couple just let that federal wage take effect. Most of our states, however, enact legislation to set their own wages. Obviously we have a lot more diversity since we have a lot more states than Canada has provinces and territories. One of the most significant differences among our states in this regard is the treatment of service workers who receive tips. In most of the USA, these workers are paid a pittance (can be as low as $2/hour in some places) presuming these tips will be earned (and then we tax those tips, and further, our customs often include the workers sharing parts of those tips with other service workers in a hierarchy).

In Canada, the minimum wage does vary from one region to another, but overall this practice of paying service personnel drastically less is not as commonplace. For example, such workers might lose a percentage in the teens versus other minimum wage workers, as opposed to losing the vast majority of their wage.

In a few areas in both countries, this kind of "not-really-a-minimum" wage practice is actually illegal, but I don't have the data in front of me on exactly which states or provinces do that (I seem to recall it was a very small number).

Old 07-27-2010, 03:29 PM

7,371 posts, read 3,175,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Oh sure, Ontario is just one big bastion of high culture and sophistication. I learned this by watching the Red Green show.
Really, I thought the bastions of Canadian culture were (in no particular order), Trailer Park Boys, Bob and Doug McKenzie, and Don Cherry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada