U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 04:44 PM

9 posts, read 14,472 times

Advertisements

Hello, a lot of the discussion on this forum is about relocation to and within canda. I'm currently planning to leave the prairies and head to SW Ontario- more specifically Windsor or London. I'm not too worried about weather, cost of living, etc.

What I am concerned about is the move itself. Can people who have decided to move across country give me some advice on the following, please?:

For those who didn't move due to Job relocation- moved simply to try something new: Where did you find the best places to find jobs and housing? Does Ontario use Kijiji and the Used[insert city] or is craigslist more known? Or are there property management sites I can find?

How did you move? As in your belongings? Did you ditch everything and buy it all once you moved? Did you use a moving company, if so, what were the costs and whom? What would you recommend inregards to the moving of the belongings.

Any advice on the move itself and the settling in portion would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:18 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,422,518 times
Kijiji is a growing force in the southern Ontario classifieds field ---- more than one printed classifieds paper has gone belly up trying to compete with free online ads.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:29 AM

10,900 posts, read 23,173,761 times
I would try to have a job lined up and a place to live before you make the big move.
also maybe go there for a week vist to see the places first hand and get an idea of where you want to live and a feel for the jobs in the area. It will also give you and idea if you want to move their or not and what to expect when you do.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:30 PM

156 posts, read 348,599 times
Wait your from the prairies and don't have a huge 1 ton truck and travel trailer to carry your belongings?!

Old 07-30-2010, 01:43 PM

9 posts, read 14,472 times
Ha! No, I do not own a truck, I don't listen to country music AND (are you sitting down now? because you should be) I do NOT bleed green! I know- a bit unbelievable, agreed! But, I did check and it turns out I bleed red.

I think going for a visit may be a good idea, thank you for the suggestion. I will begin looking for a job a few months before I decide to take the move. I do have an undergrad in Business and a few years in my respect field; however, I'm also willing to start from scratch and work a billion part-time jobs if thats needed. I'm doing this simply for the change, I want something new and I know that this may be a big(ger) decision but if I can make the move out there, I can always make the move back home.

I guess what I'm looking for mainly is some suggestions with the moving poriton. I did some research and I've come up with the cost of $3,000 to move the little things I would like to bring with me. This cost is not including the gas, food and hotels along the way. I simply cannot believe that this is the only route I can take and it will cost me this much.

If any of you have done an across country move and taken things with you, can you please pass along some tips, suggestions and ways I can drop that stupidly high cost down?

Thanks!

And fourlung- I hope I didn't disappoint. I suppose I'm not truly a "prairie girl" at heart.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:47 PM

4,060 posts, read 9,106,870 times
I have done the move west from Ont. and know many others who also have. For the most part, it's not worth the cost to bring your stuff. I would pack my vehicle as full as I can get it with the more valuable and irrreplacable things and ship some of the other (lighter) things and then get good used stuff through kijiji (my Mom in Toronto just sold an almost new $1400 microfiber recliner sofa in mint condition for $375 or $399).

PS if you have faminly at home perhaps they can store a few things for you for a while in case you want them down the road or decide to return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or