Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 11:37 PM

6 posts, read 22,584 times

Advertisements

I have to job offers and have troubles to decide. I am married with 1 kid, original from China and don't have permanent residency in both Canada and US.
a) 104K CA$ from Sasktoon, Canada. Permanent job after one year probation, 4-5% increase per year. It easier for me getting permanent residency in Canada.
b) 75K US$ from San Francisco, USA. Renewable contract per year. I don't have to paid health insurance for my whole family. I might get better chance to move other places if I stay in USA. And my wife have better chance to find a job in San Francisco.

My questions:
1) Considering the tax, price of consumer goods, housing costing, ect, how good the live can be in Saskatoon and how bad it can be in San Francisco?
2) How remote and cold Saskatoon is?
3) Which one you will take if you were me?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 11:56 PM

148 posts, read 877,265 times
Considering the cost of living in the bay area, being one of the highest in the U.S.... I would highly consider 100k in Saskatoon, you will be living very comfortably.
Also really depends on what you appreciate most. Of course winter will be much harsher in Saskatoon, it gets cold... but you do have warm summers. There are also so many other factors to consider which I can't answer for you since I do not know you personally.

But, as I said from a financial standpoint, you will be MUCH more comfortable in Saskatoon then in San Francisco.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:05 AM

Thanks Ocuri.
Are you from canada? Have you been in Saskatoon? Do have any idea that how cold it can be in the winter?
I agree with you that financially Saskatoon is the winner. But the tax is so high and goods are more expensive in canada.
Do you think 1 CA $ in canada can buy stuff similar to 1US$ can buy in USA?

Old 06-24-2007, 12:35 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,753,282 times
Organ,

As far as purchasing power goes, somes things are cheaper in the US, some are actually cheaper in Canada. This fact came as quite a shock to my father-in-law during his recent visit to Canada from Oregon. The recent decline of the US dollar is evening the playing field somewhat.

You can live very comfortably in Saskatoon on a salary of $104K.

Saskatoon winter = BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! very chilly, indeed. Night time lows of -30 Celsius happen frequently.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned: San Fransisco has a large and well-established Chinese community. Your initial adjustment period might be more comfortable if you and your wife had access to Chinese foodstuffs and conversation in your native tongue.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:18 AM

thank you cornerguy1.
Those two cities are opposite in lots of aspects.

yes, SF have the biggest chinese community. I have been there and it is somehow china. But I have been in USA for >5 years, I will not have problem with adjustment.
I keep changing minds tons of times, I might choose Saskatoon in the end.
All my chinese freinds in canada say :don't come to canada,we all try to move to US.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:20 AM

323 posts, read 1,391,297 times
I would go to San Francisco. Easy weather, city with personality that doesn't exist anywhere else. Opportunities. Beauty, the ocean, interesting places to go on the weekend with the family. On the down side, more crime and very high cost of living. It depends what matters most. Culture or money and comforts right now.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:42 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,222,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organ View Post
thank you cornerguy1.
Those two cities are opposite in lots of aspects.

yes, SF have the biggest chinese community. I have been there and it is somehow china. But I have been in USA for >5 years, I will not have problem with adjustment.
I keep changing minds tons of times, I might choose Saskatoon in the end.
All my chinese freinds in canada say :don't come to canada,we all try to move to US.
Might I suggest you work it a little different? Where do you want to be in ten years? Your spouse?

In the immediate Saskatoon will just plow SF at the salaries and conditions discussed. Not even close. The winters are cold but you can adjust. Everything else will be fine.

Is it however where you want to be? There are other places in both the US and Canada. If you chose Saskatoon you may well give up the US for a long time or perhaps forever. For a foreign national to return from Canada will be a tall order.

So choose long term...you may well not get another shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada