U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 04:37 PM

3,717 posts, read 4,195,017 times

Advertisements

so i checked online and I'm eligable to get a working holiday visa for 12 months and work legally anywhere in Canada for that period of time... However I intend to stay longer... I know that WHP visa cannot be extended but are there any other ways to stay and work in ~Canada legally with that visa?
Is it possible to change the visa for working visa or apply for pernament stay? I would really like to live in Canada but i 12 months is not long enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 PM

36 posts, read 110,897 times
Welcome Page | Page d'accueil - you can only change if for a working visa if you find an employer who will hire you to do a job a Canadian can't. So you'd have to have a super special skill set. You can only apply for permanent residence if you are on the in-demand job list (see more details at the link I sent). And the only other way, assuming you don't have family members who are Canadian (e.g. parents) is to marry a Canadian. Or, convert it to a study visa and go to school here. So... it's pretty difficult.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:38 AM

difficult but not impossible ;p It's still easier then imigrating to USA lol Well if i will find a employer that would help me get the working visa i would be happy because after 2 years of working in Canada you can apply fo Canada exprience visa is this true?

Old 08-03-2010, 12:25 PM

23 posts, read 64,953 times
i think u better apply twice for that visa instead of staying ilegally or wasting ur time trying to get an extension... i got it last year and it expired in april this year so i'll apply again for it in september.... hope to be in canada by january, so why dnt u try to do that?

Old 08-03-2010, 01:46 PM

No, it's not impossible. I came on a WHV in 2003 and I haven't been back since. In fact, I went from being a cashier on a WHV (difficult to get a good job on one unless you have contacts) to studying to permanent residence to citizenship last year. ;-)

Lilprincessful, I think the OP wanted to stay in Canada for more than a year without having to leave, reapply and come back. And depending on the OP's age and where they are from, they might not be able to reapply.

OP, yes you can apply for PR after 2 years of experience but if you didn't have the paperwork to stay beyond those 2 years (e.g. you could only get 2 1-year WHVs) I don't know what you would do because Canadian Experience class takes 6-8 months to obtain after application (Application Processing Times: Applications Processed Outside of Canada). I can't help you with that as that class didn't exist back in 2004 when I was applying. Also, be careful when you come over on a WHV because for the Experience class you need 'at least 2 years' experience' so if you spend any time looking for a job, that won't count. Your best bet is to have an offer lined up, and make sure your job is mentioned on the NOC in-demand list. Out of curiosity, what job do you do or are you planning on doing when you get here?

Either way, good luck.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:16 PM

Well i gonna finish a level 3 diploma in travel and tourism so i think it's in hospitality category... British coulmbia is looking for people with tourism/ hospitality qualifications (semi- skilled) and Alberta wants people with hospitality qualifications as well. My ideal job would be a travel consultant/ agent or something like that... If i get a job offer to work in my industry in BC or AB i would be eligable to enter the provincional PNP program (and then get PR easily) but i dont think i will get a job offer while im still living in UK from any employer
Anyways... If i would go to Canada on WHV visa (obvioulsy i would find a job there eventually) how i gonna find a employer willing to sponsor me and how he's gonna prove that he can't find a Canadian on my place? its risky...

Converting my visa for student one wouldnt work for me because i wouldnt have money to pay for the school (or are there any free or cheap ones?) and you can't work, is that right? so how am i gonna pay the rent? ohhh so many problems and difficulties.

Marriage.... I don't know ;p i dont think one year is enough to meet someone who you can love and get married the same year haha

Reaplying isn't the best option because it can't be obtained in Canada so i would have to go back... And i don't even think polish citizens can even get that visa twice... (i couldnt find information about it anywhere)

Old 08-03-2010, 07:49 PM

I don't mean to be rude at all, but no Canadian employer is going to know what a 'level 3 diploma' is. Heck, I went through the UK education system and I don't know what it is. Maybe those provinces do want people with hospitality qualifications (where did you get that info?) but even so I would be willing to bet they want Canadian qualifications. Canada is very protective of its own like that (just Google 'no Canadian experience' or 'no Canadian diploma' and see) Unfortunately a travel agent or consultant is not on the 'in-demand' list as those positions can be filled by Canadians with similar qualifications and (maybe more, and certainly Canadian) experience. You're totally right to question how you are going to find an employer to sponsor you. I'm totally convinced it wouldn't be possible, particularly given these hard economic times (which are prevalent in Canada too).

School is relatively cheap in Quebec, btw (and you don't need French), even for immigrants. Try looking up CEGEPS (college level) or universities (but then they don't really do tourism qualifications at university level). Well, it might be the same price as studying at university in the UK now tuition there is about 3k pounds per year. You can work a little while studying - I think it's a max. of around 12 hours/week. Not enough to get the experience required for Canadian PR.

Marriage - yeah good luck with that. ;-)

Oh wait, I read you're Polish, so my apologies if level 3 is a Polish thing and not UK. I don't mean to be a downer but it IS difficult to get into Canada particularly when you don't have anything 'different' to offer. I'm just being realistic given everything I have read online and experienced in my own life as an immigrant and seeing other people do the same thing. It's a common anecdote here that Canada has a LOT of foreign doctors now working as janitors and taxi-drivers. You could probably find something (e.g. in Whistler) connected to tourism for a WHV, but enough in terms of quality and quantity to be sponsored for PR? No way, sorry. If you DO have luck, though, come back and let us know...

Old 08-04-2010, 07:06 AM

NCFE level 3 in travel and tourism is a 2 year course from which i can work as a travel agent/ consultant, hotels, airports, cabin crew, or many more and I am Polish but i live in UK so its and english qualification...

British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) - A semi-skilled worker in select Tourism/Hospitality occupations, Long-Haul Trucking occupations, and Food Processing occupations.

Obviously PNP is a program for people that want to move to Canada so of course majority of them dont have any Canadian qualifications... you can read about that on canadavisa.com

So you changed your WHV to student visa... how did you do it? i mean survive if you can only work so little... and then how did you get your PR?

I'm really determined to stay in Canada but you need to have a lot of luck....

Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 AM

oh and before leaving to Canada im planning to do Provincial credential assessment services. They assess academic credentials. The assessment will tell you how your education compares with educational standards in the province where you are planning to settle. You can give your assessment to any employer in Canada. and then they will know what level 3 in travel and tourism is and how it comapares to Canadian qualifications.

i also found that Airline sales and service agents is a in demand job in BC, AB and ontario....

Last edited by patrix542; 08-04-2010 at 07:46 AM..

Old 08-04-2010, 08:14 AM

PNP might be a good idea. I don't have any experience with it. You can have your credentials assessed to give you the equivalent, but I am telling you that "equivalent to a Canadian college diploma" with a foreign college name is not the same in employers' eyes as "Diploma obtained from x Canadian college".

Me, I worked for a full year and then right away a) applied for outside PR (didn't need an in-demand job back then) b) became a student. By the time my PR was processed I was still in school (2 year Master's) so I even got to pay Quebec fees. Graduated in 2008 and the tuition was so low (and I got a grant and some scholarships) that I had paid back my debt by December that year. Been working in a great job ever since. But I know I got lucky (or, I just picked my job and studies well, because there were 300 applicants for 20 places in the Master's but I had good grades).

Anyway, keep us updated on how it goes. What I am trying to say is that even if you DO get a visa allowing you to work, persuading those employers that you are equal to and better than a Canadian graduate will not be easy. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada