Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:17 AM

543 posts, read 943,562 times

Advertisements

So one of my ultimate goal is to skate on ice as well as play ice hockey-I am pretty good at inline skating and have played hockey(Its my country's national sport and we suck at it on the international scale) but Ive never seen hard ice let alone stepped on one.

I was looking up the culture of Ottawa and it seems that Ice hockey is a part of life.I looked up some videos and have been doing some research but there is one aspect which is freaking me out-I am **** scared of anythin sharp
Honestly, If you have a gun and are about to knife me in the back-I will pay you to shoot me to death.....I have an ingrained fear of blades,knives and anything sharp

How will this effect my chances of becoming somewhat respectable at ice-hockey or even ice skating?
There is this video on Youtube where this guy gets his throat slit open while playing ice-hockey!!!!OMFG
Is there a safety catch like an iron scarf players can wear and beginners should;How sharp are those shoe-blades-enough to decapitate me;
Am I worrying too much ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:35 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Millions of people skate in Canada and other countries every winter and the number of injuries (cuts) from skate blades is very low. In fact, cuts from skate blades rank far down the list of injuries that are related to ice skating.

Most common are fractures and other injuries from falls and collisions with the rock-hard ice, with the boards that surrounds the rink or with other people skating. And also, in the case of hockey, players hitting other players with their sticks on the face, hands, etc.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:55 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,294 times
Skate blades are very bluntly shaped, their edges are sharp but not like knives are. Anyways the chance of anything happening is highly unlikely, a neck guard is more than sufficient for protection.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:23 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
So one of my ultimate goal is to skate on ice as well as play ice hockey-I am pretty good at inline skating and have played hockey(Its my country's national sport and we suck at it on the international scale) but Ive never seen hard ice let alone stepped on one.

I was looking up the culture of Ottawa and it seems that Ice hockey is a part of life.I looked up some videos and have been doing some research but there is one aspect which is freaking me out-I am **** scared of anythin sharp
Honestly, If you have a gun and are about to knife me in the back-I will pay you to shoot me to death.....I have an ingrained fear of blades,knives and anything sharp

How will this effect my chances of becoming somewhat respectable at ice-hockey or even ice skating?
There is this video on Youtube where this guy gets his throat slit open while playing ice-hockey!!!!OMFG
Is there a safety catch like an iron scarf players can wear and beginners should;How sharp are those shoe-blades-enough to decapitate me;
Am I worrying too much ?
Yes you're worrying too much. Five-year-old children play the game and survive quite nicely.

That said, your odds of becoming an accomplished skater or player without having skated until adulthood are slim, but there's nothing stopping you from enjoying the game in one of the many lower-level adult fun leagues.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:02 AM

39 posts, read 146,801 times
You're worrying too much. How many times have you hit someone in the throat with your in-line skates? Wear a helmet, maybe some knee and elbow pads in case you fall, and you will be fine.

And while I doubt you'll play in the NHL, you could definately become a pretty decent skater or hockey player if you put in the effort.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:25 AM

543 posts, read 943,562 times
Lol, I dont aspire to play in the NFL, I just don't wanna be that guy who clumsily tries to stay afloat while trying his best to show he is a PRO and ends up falling flat on his face

Old 07-30-2010, 07:28 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Almost every Canadian city's recreation department has skating classes for adult beginners that you can take in the winter...

Old 07-30-2010, 10:50 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Yes you're worrying too much. Five-year-old children play the game and survive quite nicely.

That said, your odds of becoming an accomplished skater or player without having skated until adulthood are slim, but there's nothing stopping you from enjoying the game in one of the many lower-level adult fun leagues.
yeah if the OP comes to vancouver he can join out little drop in league at burnaby 8-rinks

also he can join the ASHN which is national kinda beer league hockey
ASHN
you will start out in the E-division which is fun and you meet some great hockey buddys there.
E -- No experience with an organized League, started playing hockey as an adult

they also extend all over canada and the U.S
heres how to find a rink close to where you live
http://www.adultsafehockey.net/hm/rinks.php

Old 07-30-2010, 06:16 PM

613 posts, read 815,222 times
If you can play hockey on inline skates you are more than halfway there. I'd rather wipe out on nice slippery ice in bulky clothes, than asphalt in light summer clothing.

I can't really offer an opinion on learning to skate as an adult, since I learned as a child, but I'm sure you will have little trouble after inline skating.

Good luck and have fun.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Arenas abound all over Canada,most of the community arenas have free skate times during the day and skates can be rented by the hour,.Every town has informal hockey leagues made up of regular people who like to skate but arent NHL caliber..
Also most companies have a group of guys who play hockey together and usually challenge other companies in the area.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-31-2010 at 06:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada