Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 05:10 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,343 times

Advertisements

I have heard the health standard is different, and therefore milk in Canada has better quality, which partially justifies its higher price. Is it true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 05:31 PM

228 posts, read 696,411 times
I don't know about better quality, but there is something "different" about American milk.

If I go to the show now in Canada, the best before date would be 2 to 3 weeks max. from now, and if you open the milk after a week and a half, 2 weeks it would spoil.

When I lived in the states, the best before date would be 2 months way from the date I purchase date, and the milk would last more than a month open in the fridge.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:38 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post
I don't know about better quality, but there is something "different" about American milk.

If I go to the show now in Canada, the best before date would be 2 to 3 weeks max. from now, and if you open the milk after a week and a half, 2 weeks it would spoil.

When I lived in the states, the best before date would be 2 months way from the date I purchase date, and the milk would last more than a month open in the fridge.
Uh, I think your memory must be off. I've never, ever seen a before date that far out on milk here in the U.S. In fact, what you're describing as being normal in Canada is pretty much what I see here in the U.S.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Uh, I think your memory must be off. I've never, ever seen a before date that far out on milk here in the U.S. In fact, what you're describing as being normal in Canada is pretty much what I see here in the U.S.
Nope, my memory is fine. I specifically remember buying milk in January and it having a best before date in March.

Maybe it's where I lived, or the brand of milk.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:40 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
2 month shelf life for regular milk? if they ever did have it they sure dont have it anymore,usually 20 to 22 days is the norm for pasturised milk and around 28 to 30 for the micro filtered milk..

Old 08-12-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
2 month shelf life for regular milk? if they ever did have it they sure dont have it anymore,usually 20 to 22 days is the norm for pasturised milk and around 28 to 30 for the micron filtered milk..
This was last year.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:15 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post
This was last year.
I would like to know where you saw that and the brand. I've never seen a before date that far out anywhere in the U.S., and I'm not a youngster.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:17 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,755 times
I've noticed this with pork too, it's just a matter of taste really. I went down to the Dominican republic and ate the bacon they have over there, it didn't taste remotely like the bacon I'm used to. It has to do with what the animals are eating. If the cow's being fed properly, obviously you'll yield better results!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I would like to know where you saw that and the brand. I've never seen a before date that far out anywhere in the U.S., and I'm not a youngster.
Nashville,TN. Organic Valley ultra pasteurized milk or Harris Teeter Brand.

Just to add

High Temperature Short Time (HTST) pasteurised milk typically has a refrigerated shelf life of two to three weeks, whereas ultra pasteurised milk can last much longer when refrigerated, sometimes two to three months. When ultra heat treatment (UHT) is combined with sterile handling and container technology (such as aseptic packaging), it can even be stored unrefrigerated for 3–4 months.

Pasteurization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-12-2010, 08:11 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
It's the same stuff. I joke with my bf that the cows in Canada must command a higher salary, because there's no way that I can see to justify the discrepancy in price.

And, it's not even just the stuff produced in Canada. $7 for a pint of Ben & Jerry's that would be $3-4 here. Yeah, someone's trying to sell you a bill of goods that the quality is better up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada