U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2010, 07:03 PM

24 posts, read 49,047 times
As someone who sells auto insurance in Alberta - it could cost you anywhere from $350/year to $10 000/year! Yep, that is the highest and lowest premium I have ever seen. It's all based on your driving record, how long you have had insurance. what kind of car you drive and even the postal code for where you live. As of Nov 1 in Alberta the government is mandating us to drop our rates by 5% for mandatory coverages so hopefully that will help people save some money.

As a new driver to Canada you will probably find premiums cheaper in provinces where car insurance is only offered by one company... the government. Sask, BC and Manitoba seem to have better rates for newer drivers. I know it goes against basic economics; you would think privatized insurance = more companies competing for your $ = lower premiums. Sadly that does not seem to be the way it works here.

To get a more accurate price for car insurance you can goggle car insurance websites for Canada and do on-line quotes for free
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 07:57 PM

7,371 posts, read 3,169,256 times
In Manitoba you can go to the MPI website (Manitoba Public Insurance Corporation), and use their insurance calculator to calculate your insurance.

If you drive in Manitoba, you must insure with MPIC. There are no private automobile insurance companies in Manitoba. I can't remember what my premium is but I am thinking around $130.00 per month and I have all my merits, no accidents, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada