U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,813 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone!! first of all I would like to apologize should I be posting in the incorrect section, but i have a few questions i want to ask and i thought you guys might be able to help me out with a few things

First of all, I'd like to state that I'm a student from Lebanon,(it's right above Israel) and also I'm Polish

I am thinking about Traveling to Live & Study in Canada since it's standards of Life and Education are noticeably High, and I am thinking about starting a new life there

I have just finished High-School here and am thinking about starting University there, but i have a few questions i would like to ask first, one of all:

Is it possible for me to apply for a Permanent Residency Card? since I plan on living there for a term of 3-5 years at first and it would make things much easier for me there, and also i would like to ask, what would be the approximate time to get this Card, given that i pass all the requirements? i mean what are we talking about, weeks, or months?

I'm going to visit the Canadian embassy here on Monday of-course, but i thought that asking other people is also good. Any Information or help will be greatly Appreciated

Best Regards,
Raficoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 07:42 PM

1,746 posts, read 4,698,880 times
Getting this Card get can be a pretty long process: Definitely months (more than 6 months) and probably longer than a year.

It would be much easier to get once you in Canada as a student on student permit.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:33 AM

454 posts, read 686,126 times
It would be better to get the student visa first and then apply for the resident permit when you are Canada.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,813 times
Thank you for the replies guess my planning is gonna take longer then I expected, But i still some questions to ask if i may....

As I've previously said, i would like to study & Live in Canada, but it seems I have to enter with a Student Visa first, but should I do, how long as a student studying would i have to live there until i can apply for the Permanent Residence? I've heard that mentioning you have family members there(who are Canadian; which i have) can ease the waiting time(correct me if I'm wrong)

Also what is strange, that I've contacted one of my friends who immigrated there after we finished High-School(he's actually Canadian, who finished High School here) and he told me that he didn't have to do the "Freshman Year" there since there is no such thing in Canada, can this be true?

also after some talking, i was thinking(if all went well) to study in the University of Ottawa, but as i see, the Prices of Majors for "International Students" is more than Double Price of that for "Citizens" or "Permanent Residents" or "Exempted International Students" (which I'm going to presume it's for all Unis there) does anyone know any idea of how to get "Exempt" from this?

eh, sorry I'm asking too many questions, guess i need to do more research then

Old 08-21-2010, 11:24 PM

1,746 posts, read 4,698,880 times
I think, you've to be in Canada on a student / working permit for a year, before you can apply for the PR in the Canadian experience class. At least, this is what I hear from international students here, in Vancouver. And yes, tuition fees for international students are higher than for Canadians / Permanent residents.

You should definitely do some research on the Canadian immigration site. The site is easy to navigate, and you will definitely find a lot of information there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or