U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 06:02 PM

7,371 posts, read 5,685,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh1954 View Post
I loved Front Page Challenge. I'd probably still watch today if it was n on the air.

I'd watch it too.... Pierre Berton wrote some excellent books. Gordon was such an irascible gentleman. I really wish that we had been given the opportunity to study some of Peter C. Newman's books which I think provide really fine examples of Canadian history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 06:19 PM

229 posts, read 608,238 times
Yes, they teach Canadian history in school. I learned history through out middle school to high school. Everything from Samuel de Champlain, John Cabot, Mathieu de Costa, Louis Riel to WWI battle such as the battle of Battle of Passchendaele and Battle of Vimy Ridge to the October crisis.

And how can you forget the "A part of our Heritage" (Historica minutes) commercials!

YouTube - Canadian Heritage Minute - Standard Time (Sanford Flemming)

Old 08-25-2010, 06:59 PM

397 posts, read 607,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
I'd watch it too.... Pierre Berton wrote some excellent books. Gordon was such an irascible gentleman. I really wish that we had been given the opportunity to study some of Peter C. Newman's books which I think provide really fine examples of Canadian history.
Who can forget Pierre Berton's classic segment on The Rick Mercer Report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lMOxuciYQ

Old 08-25-2010, 07:23 PM

397 posts, read 607,697 times
Another good clip, this time of Gordon Sinclair.

YouTube - Gordon Sinclair The Americans

Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 PM

7,371 posts, read 5,685,239 times
Thanks rickh for the awesome memories..

Old 08-30-2010, 07:32 PM

29 posts, read 53,705 times
Canadian history is taught in our schools, and that seems sort of odd that someone like that (half intelligent according to you) coudn't name the first Prime Minister or know that Ontario is a province; infact, it sounds like you are full of ****; and this is something I defintely woudn't doubt. Maybe you were just exaggerating; I don't know, but that just sounds a little ridiculous. (I could be wrong).

But unrelated to the question of this thread; Canadian history is boring as hell. Learning about a british colony that sucked the crowns c*ck for another 100 years after their neighbours to the south fought for their freedom and independence from the afformentioned can get really perpetual.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:15 PM

156 posts, read 338,905 times
I hated canadian history in high school. I can barely remember any of what they taught me and I'm only 20 years old.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:15 PM

20,605 posts, read 25,669,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustintml View Post
But unrelated to the question of this thread; Canadian history is boring as hell. Learning about a british colony that sucked the crowns c*ck for another 100 years after their neighbours to the south fought for their freedom and independence from the afformentioned can get really perpetual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlug View Post
I hated canadian history in high school. I can barely remember any of what they taught me and I'm only 20 years old.
These two recent posts show you exactly why average knowledge of Canadian history among Canadians is pitiful.

As for the classic "Canadian history is boring" (compared to U.S. history of course), well that's more conditioning than anything else. Anything that isn't depicted in movies or TV with Hollywood stars and tons of explosions is labelled "boring".

And even when they do produce something Canadian with a decent budget (Passchaendale), most people aren't interested.

As I said before... it's all about conditioning. Not so much about the history itself.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:47 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,948,311 times
DING DING DING - wake up everyone! It's troll time!

Old 08-31-2010, 05:04 PM

3,432 posts, read 3,271,979 times
I majored in history and yes they teach canadian history. In my opinion US history IS much more interesting than canadian history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or