U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:41 AM

793 posts, read 513,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeda View Post
I believe the US is overcrowded, while nursing jobs are available, it is difficult there is terms of living expenses...
I really just want to be somewhere laid back
While I have never lived in Nova Scotia from my visits it has always given off a strong Laid back vibe to me. If you have a good position lined up there I dont see why there would be an issue if you are looking for laid back.

Just to clarify as well though there are many not overcrowded areas of the US that are laid back, the landscape is quite diverse (And COL is almost always less as well). But, if you have a position in NS lined up then why not!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 01:05 PM

287 posts, read 623,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeda View Post
still have this one! but i am wondering if thats the best province for me...
Don't worry, Halifax will be a great start. It's a beautiful, laid-back city and Nova Scotia has some of the best scenery in Canada. The only things getting used to coming from Jamaica will be the cold and the taxes (the HST in NS just went up from 13% to 15%).
If it doesn't work out, I'm pretty sure nurses are in demand all over Canada, so I don't think you'd have too hard a time relocating.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:28 PM

20,442 posts, read 16,839,481 times
If you have a job opportunity in Halifax i'd say get the paper work rolling and jump on the opportunity, once you have a job in Canada (Halifax) you can then start looking for jobs elsewhere in Canada if Halifax seems to not fit the bill.
Halifax has some of the nicest people and places to visit,
you could do a lot worse in life than being a nurse in Halifax..
Free tour
halifax nova scotia - Google Search

Last edited by jambo101; 08-26-2010 at 01:56 PM..

Old 08-26-2010, 01:34 PM

793 posts, read 513,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggo View Post
The only things getting used to coming from Jamaica will be the cold and the taxes (the HST in NS just went up from 13% to 15%).
Not really, the VAT in Jamaica is 16.5% itself.

Income taxes are a flat tax of 25%, so I guess the "progressive" taxation of Canada would be an adjustment. Keep in mind though Makeda that Canada does have a tax treaty with Jamaica, so there may be a need to report foreign income based on situation to JA. Luckily though the exemption amount was raised by PM Golding again this year.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:53 PM

377 posts, read 375,280 times
If you are ever in Winnipeg, let me know and I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:16 PM

287 posts, read 623,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh1954 View Post
If you are ever in Winnipeg, let me know and I'll buy you a cup of coffee.
Hmmm did you see her profile picture too? Actually makeda, why don't you move over here to Toronto instead? hot cha

Old 08-26-2010, 04:41 PM

31 posts, read 67,210 times
Quote:
Hmmm did you see her profile picture too? Actually makeda, why don't you move over here to Toronto instead? hot cha
.. guess thats a good thing right...Toronto nah..thats too much for me

Old 08-26-2010, 05:48 PM

454 posts, read 489,463 times
I was in Halifax a couple of years ago and it was very beautiful. Canada has very high taxes with very high cost of living than the US, so might not be able to save very much.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:15 PM

377 posts, read 375,280 times
Quote:
No, I was just being friendly (remember our provincial motto Friendly Manitoba). I would probably bring my better half along for the coffee.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:21 PM

31 posts, read 67,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh1954 View Post
No, I was just being friendly (remember our provincial motto Friendly Manitoba). I would probably bring my better half along for the coffee.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada