Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 04:40 AM

11 posts, read 38,563 times

Advertisements

I intend to study in Toronto, and I've heard that as an international student, to get Canadian citizenship, I need to live there for 3 years.

Is it true and that easy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:37 AM

Ok, seems I was misinformed. I first need Permanent Residnece status before going for Citizenship.

Rephrasing the question: What is the way, or what are the requirements for an international student to obtain Permanent Residence status asap so that they can pursue citizenship lateron?

As I understand it, study permits of course don't mean permanent residency. So what's the next move after a study permit?

Old 09-05-2010, 10:28 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
When you get here you'll be able to source counseling on all the choices. But the fastest way to do it is to have some kind of short-term crisis in your home country and IMMEDIATELY apply for refugee status since you're already here.

Since we grant citizenship in two years by the time the "crisis" is over you'll already by a citizen.

The "study permit" isn't part of the lineup to citizenship.

Are you coming from a modern industrial country? In that case it's much, much harder. i.e. Japanese find it almost impossible to get in, what with their level of education, adaptability, incredible work ethic, and tendency to avoid violence and narcotics dealing. Unless you're a part of the "Empire", upon which, the sun never sets. (there's GB, again)

And you're young. We're scooping all the young ones up! Don't worry about it; just get here.

So anyway, what's your study major and what's the country?

Yes, I'm putting this into my smartass category, but it's still good info.!
go "Kanada, frozen banana republic"!

Old 09-05-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
When you get here you'll be able to source counseling on all the choices. But the fastest way to do it is to have some kind of short-term crisis in your home country and IMMEDIATELY apply for refugee status since you're already here.
Been told to do that by many, but I just don't like refugee status (although I'm from somewhere that has many problems and can probably easily get the status)...

I don't like it due to limitations and, from what I heard, being easily "identified" as a refugee.

Quote:
Since we grant citizenship in two years by the time the "crisis" is over you'll already by a citizen.
lol our home country crisis is never over, so this should not be an issue.

Money is not an issue however, so I thought I should not go the refugee route.. Plus, I really do want to study in Toronto. It isn't a disguise. The citizenship is what I'll probably be looking for after I finish my studies.

Quote:
Are you coming from a modern industrial country? In that case it's much, much harder. i.e. Japanese find it almost impossible to get in, what with their level of education, adaptability, incredible work ethic, and tendency to avoid violence and narcotics dealing. Unless you're a part of the "Empire", upon which, the sun never sets. (there's GB, again)
lol ok, it is getting a lil complicated. I'm from a "third world" country. Received British school education since childhood and would like to get a second college degree in a different major in Toronto.
Quote:
And you're young. We're scooping all the young ones up! Don't worry about it; just get here.
See... here's the thing... I'm not "exactly" young. I actually finished college long ago but always had this thing in mind that I want to pursue ... a major I wanted but had to choose another back then.... "Computer Studies in Toronto"... I'm 27 years old btw.

So what is the best easiest way to get permanent residence from there on?
Quote:
go "Kanada, frozen banana republic"!
errr... that's another thing that started to scare me. Never really thought that weature would be an issue, until a friend of mine nearly died there... lol

Old 09-05-2010, 01:01 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
You'll have 3-4 years of college to find and marry a nice Canadian girl.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:08 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambi View Post
I intend to study in Toronto, and I've heard that as an international student, to get Canadian citizenship, I need to live there for 3 years.

Is it true and that easy?

All jokes aside, here's the skinny:

- In order to become a citizen, you first need to be a permanent resident. Here are the different options to become a permanent resident:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

(Note: the Federal Skilled Worker and the Canadian Experience Class programs would be the ones that are more applicable to graduating international students in Canada)

- Once you have obtained permanent residency, here are the requirements to become a citizen:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become.asp

You have a few years to build towards permanent residency and citizenship. Plan your steps carefully and purposefully.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
All jokes aside, here's the skinny:

- In order to become a citizen, you first need to be a permanent resident. Here are the different options to become a permanent resident:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

(Note: the Federal Skilled Worker and the Canadian Experience Class programs would be the ones that are more applicable to graduating international students in Canada)

- Once you have obtained permanent residency, here are the requirements to become a citizen:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become.asp

You have a few years to build towards permanent residency and citizenship. Plan your steps carefully and purposefully.
Thanks man!

I found out the skilled worker option has limited occupations that are accepted (can't see any computer related stuff), so I guess the Canadian Experience Class programs are the best suited.

Here is the paragraph that shed some light:

" Work experience
As a graduate of a Canadian post-secondary educational institution, you must have one year of full-time (or equivalent) work experience in Canada after graduation. Your work experience must be gained within two years of applying.

You may get work experience by applying for the Post-Graduation Work Permit after graduation. Work permits may be valid for up to three years with no restrictions on the type of work you can do or where. To ensure that you can apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class, at least one year of work experience under the permit must be at Skill Type 0, or Skill Level A or B under the National Occupational Classification (NOC). Your work experience must be gained within two years of the time you applied.

Full-time work experience means working at least 37.5 paid hours per week.

Note: Work experience gained during your studies does not count toward meeting the requirements for work experience. Only work experience gained after graduation can be counted."

- So, in order to get the permanent residence status, I first need to pursue a Work Permit after graduation.

- Apparently, I am forced to work for at least one year AFTER my graduation, since working during my studies (as a student) doesn't count.

- I also have to be a FULL TIME student to be eligible for this option: the Canadian Experience Class Programs.

So as I see it, in order to get the permanent residence status, I HAVE to work. Someone who doesn't need to work to support himself can't get the status.

The investors and businessmen immigration option requires someone to invest C$400,000 or more. Not applicable to me at the moment.

The Provincinal Nominee option seems interesting. But check this out quoted from their site:

"For foreign workers and international students, Opportunities Ontario may be a pathway to permanent resident status. However, it is important to understand that in most instances Opportunities Ontario is employer-driven. That means you can only apply if you have a permanent full-time job offer, your employer is pre-screened and the position is approved by Opportunities Ontario.

The only exception to the requirement of having a permanent full-time job offer is international students who are graduates of a PhD or Masters program from one of Ontario’s publicly funded universities."

So, the only way someone can get a permanent residence status in Ontario with this option, WITHOUT HAVING TO WORK, is if he/she is a graduate of a PhD or Masters program.

Other than that, you HAVE TO WORK. There is no way out.

Is my analysis spot on?

Thanks for your help,
Sambi

Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 AM

355 posts, read 2,369,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambi View Post

Is my analysis spot on?

Yes, I think you captured the essence of the different immigration options. Having experience working in Canada will only be beneficial to you. Once you become a resident, you can find work more easily if prospective employers see, on your resume, that you have been exposed to the local culture, you know your way around the Canadian workplace, etc.

BTW, IT used to be included in the list of professions, but they changed that and a new list (without IT) became effective last June.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Ok, I'm evaluating all options.. and now, the refugee thing doesn't look so "yucky!" as it was before I knew about the years of waiting to get the citizenship! lol

Especially since I can fit right into the category, given where I'm coming from. I've found out the cic site is limited in info about the refugee status, so please bear with me... I need more details from those of you who know:

- Ok, you said "immediately" apply for refugee status. Can an international student wait till they finish their studies? Or is it because it takes time, I need to apply soon?

- How long does the process usually take?

- What exactly do refugees get?? What kind of support?

- Are refugees really easily distinguished due to the limited regions/housings they are assigned? Meaning, is there something such as "the refugee area, street or district"??

- Do I need to pretend I'm "poor" or something? What about me paying for my studies... will it conflict with my refugee claims??

- Are refugees not allowed to leave the country for vacation or something? Or can they leave Canada, but not for their home country where the crisis is?

- Can they leave me alone to do my things?... like moving around the country (Canada).... purchasing stuff.... or is there some sort of restrictions?

Thanks again in advance for your help! I appreciate it.

Sambi

Old 09-07-2010, 01:38 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Fraud is probably not the best ground to lay your foundations on in a new country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada