U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 PM

35 posts, read 69,265 times

Advertisements

My sister tells me she's read about some kind of program where the Canadian government allows people from outside the country to live in Canada if they will settle in an under-populated area. Sort of like a homesteading program. I can't find anything about its at Canada.gov. Has anybody heard of something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 09:00 PM

9,097 posts, read 12,592,087 times
Is she referring the the Provincial Nomination program? You can google that, specific provinces have programmes to recruit immigrants to settle in their location.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:28 PM

3,187 posts, read 2,780,142 times
It depends on what you mean by 'homesteading.' From what I've read on other boards here, it seems to mean people who want to live off the land, often without any experience, and sometimes people who are hoping to get land for very little money. Homesteading in the sense that I've read about it by Americans doesn't seem to really exist here.

What we have is this: Young Farmer Nominee Program | Business Immigration | Invest in Manitoba | Manitoba Entrepreneurship, Training and Trade

Our farm is surrounded by farmers who came from other, European, countries with a lot of money. Other provinces may have similar programmes.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:59 PM

Thanks Minibrings, I Googled the Provincial Nomination Program and also found some information on the programs that Netwit listed.

Unfortunately they seem to be aimed at attracting people who are 1) really young, and/or 2) highly skilled in an occupational area in which the country has a shortage of workers, and/or 3) rich.

Oh well. I was hoping there was a program under which a middle-aged person could get a visa to settle in an under-populated area, say 200 miles away from Toronto. I wasn't looking for low-cost land so much as relaxed immigration requirements.

My nephew is in school in Toronto, and I was thinking about moving to Canada to be closer to him - I drove up there last week, around 600 miles each way, and realized I won't be doing that again anytime soon. (And then 72 hours after my trip home, motorists were stranded in snow for up to 24 hours on the same road I'd been traveling - not a happy thought).

I did notice on the Canada.gov site that there's a program to help family members join their relatives in Canada, however that really sounded like it was aimed at Canadian citizens who want to bring younger relatives into the country, not at nephews whose old aunties would need some leeway from Immigration in order to move up there.

Well, thanks again for the help, I appreciate it !

Old 12-04-2010, 01:34 AM

398 posts, read 188,643 times
As far as I know, there is no provincial nomination program for Ontario anyway, settlers who want to live in Ontario have to go through the federal process. If you have a college degree you may be able to qualify as a skilled worker. One possible route is to look at Quebec's nomination program. It is more liberal when it comes to defining categories of "skilled workers," but you do need to speak at least a little French to get accepted by Quebec. Once accepted and you land, you can move anywhere in Canada of course.

Family class immigration is only for parents and children. I can't even sponsor my sister under family class, I would have to sponsor my mother, have her land, then she could sponsor my sister.

This is not legal advice, and I am not a Canadian immigration lawyer nor certified immigration consultant.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:27 PM

Thanks NorthBound81, for the idea about Quebec - I do know about ten words of high-school French, maybe I could brush up.......

I saw a program at the Canada.gov site that allows you to become a citizen after you've been employed as a full-time caregiver for (I think it was) a little under 4000 hours. You have four years within which to meet this requirement. This would include caring for children, a disabled person, or the elderly. Probably not something I'm going to do, but it could be a great option for somebody who has caregiving abilities and doesn't qualify to immigrate under the other programs.

I'm sorry you can't sponsor your sister in, it's too bad that siblings aren't eligible.

Thanks again everyone for info and advice!

Old 12-06-2010, 08:29 AM

10,162 posts, read 11,127,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
One possible route is to look at Quebec's nomination program. It is more liberal when it comes to defining categories of "skilled workers," but you do need to speak at least a little French to get accepted by Quebec. Once accepted and you land, you can move anywhere in Canada of course.
You don't need to speak French to get accepted by the Quebec program. Although you get more points if you do, which increases your odds of getting accepted.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:54 PM

Merci beaucoup, Acajack.

Now to cancel those Berlitz classes........

Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 PM

398 posts, read 188,643 times
Google around. Many people were flatly rejected by the interviewer because they spoke no French. I wouldn't spend the money to go the Quebec route and lack at least basic French knowledge. Just enough to show the interviewer you are serious about learning French.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 PM

10,162 posts, read 11,127,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiniwashere View Post
Merci beaucoup, Acajack.

Now to cancel those Berlitz classes........
I wouldn`t cancel them too quickly. French will make life much much easier if you ever do move to Quebec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada