Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live - in Canada or United States?
Canada 270 48.13%
United States 291 51.87%
Voters: 561. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:20 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,534 times

Advertisements

USA defianately. Socialized health care alone makes living in Canada a definate no go.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:11 AM

24 posts, read 159,490 times
I picked Canada for the overall socio-political climate. But the cold is a deterrant for me (I'm from the desert).
It doesn't seem to be that horribly difficult to gain permanent residency in Canada. I just took the test on their website and scored 70, you must have at least a 63, I think, to qualify. I don't speak French and no job lined up before applying (these factors would get you higher points).

Old 08-31-2007, 01:14 AM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,230 times
Canada seems much further ahead of the U.S. in most things (except military spending). Also, I've went road-tripping through British Columbia, and a few years later, through Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. I thought the scenery was so lovely, and everyone I met seemed rather friendly. I don't know if I could handle the long winters though.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:23 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Having been raised in a border town -- Buffalo -- I have spent lots of time in Canada. Interestingly, the weather (although cold in winter) has very little snow in Toronto -- because when the winds blow over Lake Erie/Lake Ontario, it brings "weather effect snow," which is much worse than north of the border.
Actually, it's referred to as "lake effect snow."

Old 08-31-2007, 07:16 AM

115 posts, read 335,775 times
Canada (hell anywhere but here lately)

As long as the dictatorship is in effect, as long as our borders are overrun, as long as illegals are taking our jobs and killing our taxes we want OUT.

As for the cold.. LOL we live in Montana. I LOVE the cold.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:33 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
Quote:
Fleet: Actually, it's referred to as "lake effect snow."
Duh! Sorry, you are absolutely correct. I guess my mind was thinking weather and it came out that way. "Lake Effect!"

Old 09-01-2007, 05:28 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,806 times
I've lived in New York for many years and now living in Florida. Been to Canada a number of times...when it comes to cold versus heat... I would rather change of season such as those offered in New York and Canada. Christmas just isn't Christmas without snow, Halloween isn't the same in 90 degree weather, Thanksgiving just isn't the same. I miss the changing of the leaves in the fall, the blossoming of the trees in the spring. Anyway I am kinda getting senitmental here and straying away from the topic. Without a doubt Canada, I love everything about the country and have plans on moving there in a couple of years.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:01 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
I've lived in New York for many years and now living in Florida. Been to Canada a number of times...when it comes to cold versus heat... I would rather change of season such as those offered in New York and Canada. Christmas just isn't Christmas without snow, Halloween isn't the same in 90 degree weather, Thanksgiving just isn't the same. I miss the changing of the leaves in the fall, the blossoming of the trees in the spring. Anyway I am kinda getting senitmental here and straying away from the topic. Without a doubt Canada, I love everything about the country and have plans on moving there in a couple of years.
I totally agree. Love the seasons. But in the US, you have a much greater variety of climates. From arctic Barrow, AK to tropical Miami to the dry, oven of Phoenix to the damp chill of Seattle to the 4 seasons of the Northeast. Our climate diversity can't be beat.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:32 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
I liked Canada until I noticed that there are no big cities up there. Where's Canada's version of the great big cities of New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago? All of Canada's cities are actually smaller than my native Houston, which I am trying to get out of because even it is too small in the state "where everything is bigger (except for the cities)." Toronto is as big as Canada can go, yet it is still smaller than Houston? WTF?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:45 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I liked Canada until I noticed that there are no big cities up there. Where's Canada's version of the great big cities of New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago? All of Canada's cities are actually smaller than my native Houston, which I am trying to get out of because even it is too small in the state "where everything is bigger (except for the cities)." Toronto is as big as Canada can go, yet it is still smaller than Houston? WTF?
Toronto is not smaller than Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada