Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live - in Canada or United States?
Canada 270 48.13%
United States 291 51.87%
Voters: 561. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 54,188 times

Advertisements

I just saw Michael Moore's movie "SiCKO", and I'm like OMG...
Just a quick question: Where would you rather live - in Canada or United States?
No flaming, please!

Old 07-16-2007, 04:26 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,022,718 times
US especially because of winters. I don't really dig the cold. I've visited Canada and enjoyed my time there, it's a great country but come February, I'm good, I want to be down south where it's a little warmer.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:33 PM

548 posts, read 2,642,297 times
Social and political climate: absolutely Canada. The cold though...I don't know. I don't do well with cold weather.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:45 PM

21 posts, read 162,645 times
I vote USA because of the weather (I would love to move to Hawaii) but I prefer Canada because it's my country and also it's safer, less crime, and I share the values of Canada.

I hate military and Bush. And USA are confusing (it seems normal to watch someone being decapitated on TV, but when Janet Jackson shows her nipple, it's a scandal??? What the f...!?).

Old 07-16-2007, 11:08 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,365,525 times
Canada's been making a lot of headway with me, but at the moment, I still lean towards the U.S. mostly for weather-related reasons. Never doubt the magnetic pull of the palm tree.

With that said, the two are almost neck and neck for me and if Canada had warmer weather, it would pull far ahead for me and I'd probably be filing papers to immigrate.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 54,188 times
Thx for voting, guys!
Other members of this forum - VOTE!!!

Old 07-20-2007, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 26,944 times
Get a map, for pity's sake! Much of Canada is south of New York. Most of us don't live in the Arctic, we live along the Great Lakes. I didn't wear winter boots a single time last winter. Look ahead a little: balance cold against HEAT waves!

If you go somewhere hot in the U.S., what will your children be taught in school? Do you really want dinner table arguments about whether evolution is a discredited theory?

Old 07-20-2007, 12:11 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,773,258 times
Having been raised in a border town -- Buffalo -- I have spent lots of time in Canada. Interestingly, the weather (although cold in winter) has very little snow in Toronto -- because when the winds blow over Lake Erie/Lake Ontario, it brings "weather effect snow," which is much worse than north of the border.

Yes, Montreal and Quebec City get snow, too, but no worse than New England. And I recall Vancouver being much, much sunnier and warmer than Seattle!

I prefer the culture and less crime in Canada. It is a well-educated country, lots of culture, open, accepting, (a bit pricey, though), and has really nice areas. It is also very, very clean -- that is one thing that always amazes me as I cross the border -- you can visually see the immediate difference from the States to Canada. I also love that Quebec is there and it's like going to France without having to travel to Europe.

Unfortunately, to immigrate there now is very difficult. I have friends from Buffalo who moved up there many moons ago, but now it's almost impossible. They have a very strict immigration policy.

Canada is a cool place!

Old 07-20-2007, 03:01 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,603,525 times
Quote:
If you go somewhere hot in the U.S., what will your children be taught in school? Do you really want dinner table arguments about whether evolution is a discredited theory?
What? That doesn't happen in public schools in the US. Where'd you hear such a thing?

Old 07-20-2007, 03:34 PM

578 posts, read 3,059,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Having been raised in a border town -- Buffalo -- I have spent lots of time in Canada. Interestingly, the weather (although cold in winter) has very little snow in Toronto -- because when the winds blow over Lake Erie/Lake Ontario, it brings "weather effect snow," which is much worse than north of the border.

Yes, Montreal and Quebec City get snow, too, but no worse than New England. And I recall Vancouver being much, much sunnier and warmer than Seattle!

I prefer the culture and less crime in Canada. It is a well-educated country, lots of culture, open, accepting, (a bit pricey, though), and has really nice areas. It is also very, very clean -- that is one thing that always amazes me as I cross the border -- you can visually see the immediate difference from the States to Canada. I also love that Quebec is there and it's like going to France without having to travel to Europe.

Unfortunately, to immigrate there now is very difficult. I have friends from Buffalo who moved up there many moons ago, but now it's almost impossible. They have a very strict immigration policy.

Canada is a cool place!
Not sure if its harder for US citizens to emmigrate to Canada but they are one of the easiest countires to emmigrate to along with Singapore, needing skilled workers, plus the point system in Canada is easy its something like 63 to qualify and if you know french well then thats a big plus, without any experience and not knowing any other languages other than English I nearly qualify for Canada I just wish the US was as easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada