U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 05:00 AM

14,333 posts, read 13,076,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Only in Canada are these people indulged. And only in Canada is a party like the Bloc whose raison d'etre is the destruction of the country, allowed to exist. It's part of our masochistic, pussycat DNA.
I don't think its unique to Canada. We've got the Second Vermont Republic movement in Vermont, and some other less liked secession parties. Other countries have their secession movements. Czechoslovakia did peacefully split into two countries. Belgium has its secessionists, as does Scotland.

I was surprised when I saw a militia in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 AM

19,455 posts, read 14,990,655 times
Going to be hilarious if Quebec does ultimately vote to separate from Canada only to find that it would be an illegal act because the courts find that Quebec belongs to all Canadians not just the ones living in Quebec..

Booo Hisss Maudit Anglais

Old 01-11-2011, 08:16 AM

9,489 posts, read 10,125,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Going to be hilarious if Quebec does ultimately vote to separate from Canada only to find that it would be an illegal act because the courts find that Quebec belongs to all Canadians not just the ones living in Quebec..

Booo Hisss Maudit Anglais
You've never heard of the Clarity Act?

Old 01-11-2011, 11:18 AM

Either havent heard of it or i've forgotten about it. As acts of any government can get quite long and full of legalese language whats the gist / meaning of the clarity act?
Thanks

Old 01-11-2011, 12:16 PM

537 posts, read 679,959 times
In short, a region cannot unilaterally secede without negoatiation with the country it is trying to separate from. The referendum question would have to be clear first and foremost.

Also, a simple majority (50% + 1) would likely not suffice, because such a vote is too unstable and not by any stretch convincing. They would need a supermajority like 3/5 or 2/3.

Finally, it allows for federalist areas within Quebec to secede from Quebec.

A bunch of other stuff regarding minorities' rights and First Nations as well, but that's the gist.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
In short, a region cannot unilaterally secede without negoatiation with the country it is trying to separate from. The referendum question would have to be clear first and foremost.

Also, a simple majority (50% + 1) would likely not suffice, because such a vote is too unstable and not by any stretch convincing. They would need a supermajority like 3/5 or 2/3.

Finally, it allows for federalist areas within Quebec to secede from Quebec.

A bunch of other stuff regarding minorities' rights and First Nations as well, but that's the gist.
It doesn't say anything specific about 50%+1 being sufficient or not, nor does it qualify the supermajority. It is also not explicit about federalist areas in a separating province seceding from it to remain in Canada. But it does allude to aboriginal and minority rights it is true.

The full text of the Act:

Print

Old 01-11-2011, 02:38 PM

537 posts, read 679,959 times
Thanks for the link. I think the 'clear majority' language alludes to the opportunity to decline a very small majority. As far as the issue of the divisibility of Quebec, my bad, I thought it was in the Act. It definitely was part of the debate 'hey if Quebec can secede from Canada, why can't a region within it (say West Island) secede from Quebec?'

Old 01-12-2011, 01:46 AM

Quote:
It definitely was part of the debate 'hey if Quebec can secede from Canada, why can't a region within it (say West Island) secede from Quebec?'
More importantly if Quebec can secede from Canada why not BC or Alberta etc.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
As far as the issue of the divisibility of Quebec, my bad, I thought it was in the Act. It definitely was part of the debate 'hey if Quebec can secede from Canada, why can't a region within it (say West Island) secede from Quebec?'
It certainly was, but the Clarity Act does not really provide any certainties on this.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
More importantly if Quebec can secede from Canada why not BC or Alberta etc.
Well, the Clarity Act does not allude to any specific province, so it does legally apply to BC, Alberta and all the others as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada