Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 02:35 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell5252 View Post
that reminded of some article I read that gave me the impression that unions in Canada don't function the same way as they do in the US. Is there a publication that you would recommend for someone wanting to get a feel for the political landscape of Canada?
The unions here tend to believe more that they are out to help society and the down trodden... Any gains they make they believe will filter down to everyone... As well, they are not afraid to involve themselves in politics, in having legislation such as universal health care created... After all, why bother negotiating for a better health plan if you can just nationalize health insurance and pay via corporate taxes... Here though as well, public sector unions are more powerful than in the private sector... Some provinces are very union friendly to the point they are institutionalized, such as Quebec, while some provinces are private sector union unfriendly such as my native Alberta, where we have a lite version of right-to-work (oil and ag are the two main industries here, both very conservative), so there is a mix here as well...

Canada's Two National Newspapers are:
Home - The Globe and Mail
National Post | Canadian News, Financial News and Opinion

Our largest general news/opinion magazine (Canada version of Time, Newsweek):
Macleans.ca - Canada News, World News, Politics, Business, Culture, Health, Environment, Education

Our "high-brow" general interest magazine (like the Canadian version of the Atlantic)
The Walrus

Finally, the top Canadian news aggregator (like Drudge Report but centrist)
National Newswatch - LATEST NEWS

A book to start on th Canadian psyche I recommend...
The Unfinished Canadian: The People We Are: Amazon.ca: Andrew Cohen: Books

That should be a start
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 04:42 PM

661 posts, read 1,251,049 times
Next it will be "Hurricane" by Bob Dillon, no way in Canada the good could THAT song be played! The dreaded "N" word. How about "Working Class Hero" by the late John Lennon, the dreaded "F" word. My ears! My ears!

Old 01-16-2011, 04:47 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
I recall Dudley Do Right being censored for "holding the RCMP to public ridicule", to say nothing of Stokey the Bear

Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 PM

93 posts, read 170,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Canada's Two National Newspapers are:
Home - The Globe and Mail
National Post | Canadian News, Financial News and Opinion

Our largest general news/opinion magazine (Canada version of Time, Newsweek):
Macleans.ca - Canada News, World News, Politics, Business, Culture, Health, Environment, Education

Our "high-brow" general interest magazine (like the Canadian version of the Atlantic)
The Walrus

Finally, the top Canadian news aggregator (like Drudge Report but centrist)
National Newswatch - LATEST NEWS

A book to start on th Canadian psyche I recommend...
The Unfinished Canadian: The People We Are: Amazon.ca: Andrew Cohen: Books

That should be a start
Wow, thank you, that's like Canada 101.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:41 PM

9 posts, read 23,359 times
A couple days after this story aired, CBC radio's program Q had a great discussion of this issue. If I recall it correctly:

First they made it clear that it wasn't gov't censorship because it's an industry self-policing board.

Two they said, Dire Straits had produced a 'radio copy' that eliminated the words and had been playing on the radio for years and they also eliminated the word from their own greatest hits album.

Then they listed a whole bunch of other examples of the same self-censorship.
They also raised the issue that if the authors themselves change their own songs to get more radio airplay and album sales is it really censorship...

I'm back with the link - Listen to this!!! ...
http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2011/01/10/...y-for-nothing/

Here's a link to a good discussion in which the gov't takes the blame again. Hilarious :-)

CBC News - Calgary - Pop experts dissect Dire Straits brouhaha

Last edited by AlbertaSunwapta; 01-24-2011 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: added Q link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada