Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 05:18 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times

Advertisements

Even though violent crime in Canada is still declining, what's up with all the really disgusting brutal murders in Canada lately? And with the body parts in rivers/the ocean? I've heard it's pretty common to find people's hands wash ashore in British Columbia, and then that thing in Niagara Falls, you never really hear about that kind of stuff in the USA much even though we're a more violent and bigger society than Canada. It's almost becoming a Canadian stereotype.

It seems like a disturbing trend. First you had the Greyhound bus beheading, then you had Tori Stafford, and then the guy who mailed body parts to BC and Montreal, and now that body in Niagara Falls. Does Canada have an undercurrent of ultraviolence or something? Do you think it has anything to do with the influx of immigrants? I mean that kind of brutality is pretty commonplace in China and places like that where people are immigrating to Canada, but it can't explain the fact that some of the recent cases have been done by born-and-bred Canadians.

Is there some kind of great tension in Canada right now? Is the society there becoming less kind?

I love Canada but this is kind of disturbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 05:29 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
I'm sure the same sort of thing happens in the States (the beheading thing is pretty far out though), I don't think you can draw any conclusions from a few incidents. Actually I think Austria or something is similar in terms of cannibals and other gruesome/weird crimes.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:36 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm sure the same sort of thing happens in the States (the beheading thing is pretty far out though), I don't think you can draw any conclusions from a few incidents. Actually I think Austria or something is similar in terms of cannibals and other gruesome/weird crimes.
True, I don't really think it's a trend (if it turns out it is I might re-consider my move LOL) and the zombie attack thing did happen here in the US. But I hear a lot about body parts in Canada for some reason, maybe it's because crime is so rare there that every single horrific thing that happens there shocks the whole nation.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:38 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Psychopaths are in all nations.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:32 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Even though violent crime in Canada is still declining, what's up with all the really disgusting brutal murders in Canada lately? And with the body parts in rivers/the ocean? I've heard it's pretty common to find people's hands wash ashore in British Columbia, and then that thing in Niagara Falls, you never really hear about that kind of stuff in the USA much even though we're a more violent and bigger society than Canada. It's almost becoming a Canadian stereotype.

It seems like a disturbing trend. First you had the Greyhound bus beheading, then you had Tori Stafford, and then the guy who mailed body parts to BC and Montreal, and now that body in Niagara Falls. Does Canada have an undercurrent of ultraviolence or something? Do you think it has anything to do with the influx of immigrants? I mean that kind of brutality is pretty commonplace in China and places like that where people are immigrating to Canada, but it can't explain the fact that some of the recent cases have been done by born-and-bred Canadians.

Is there some kind of great tension in Canada right now? Is the society there becoming less kind?

It's mostly feet that keep turning up in BC, not so much hands (like that's much better :-)), and it's been determined that they are not originally from Canada, I believe some are from Japan but can't remember the exact details. I do know that they believe that they are not all murders. The Niagara Falls murder occured on the US side and washed up on the Canadian side so that was also not from Canada.

There was a recent article in The Toronto Star (online) that said that these types of murders (dismemberment) are not increasing in Canada (despite how it may seem), but there sure has been a run on them....really it's only two in Canada recently, the Lucca Rocco Magnotta one, and the asian woman in the Toronto area.

The Star article said that basically when someone commits a murder, as grisly as it is, they often have to dismember the body to dispose of it (so they can carry it, or get it out without drawing attention to themselves etc.) depending on the circumstances and where the live etc.

Believe me, Canada's murder rates are WAY below the US. The greater Toronto area murder stats are about 43 so far this year with 5.5 million population and 99% of those murdered knew their assailant (as was the case in the 2 dismemberment murders above). By comparison, New Orleans has had 134 murders so far and that's with a population of 360K (if Toronto had the same rate, there'd already be over 2047 murders this year).

Old 09-10-2012, 06:34 PM

242 posts, read 510,812 times
Just a blip on the radar. People are just doing more crazy things these days (In Canada and the US) ranging from mass gun shootings to mailing body parts in the mail lol. I imagine it's just a series of coincidences.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:

I don't think it has anything to do with the immigrants, almost all of the psychopathic killers I can think of were Canadian-born, and that Greyhound bus guy was your run of the mill schizophrenic who didn't even know what he was doing so his culture had nothing to do with it. I can't tell you why, I don't think it's something special about Canada, maybe it's just that we're dealing with such a small statistical sample, evil killers, that through shear chance we're bound to wind up with a random crop of murders every now and then.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:

You are referring to a few instances in Canada over the course of close to 5 yrs, being this close to the USA i'm amazed the number of these kinds of incidents arent more frequent as mass killings seem to be way too frequent down there.
Chicago Shootings: At Least 19 Wounded By Gun Violence Thursday, 13 Over 30 Minutes
Violence is part of the human condition but its much less in Canada and i certainly wouldnt get too worried about a few instances of nutcases in action..

Old 09-11-2012, 01:46 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
A report that I heard about the feet in shoes was that they're suspected suicides or murders from the States. When the bodies decompose the ankles break away from the legs and while the rest of the body's bones sink, the shoes float and get carried north on the rip current that sweeps up the coast straight around the Olympic Peninsula and up into the Strait of Georgia.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:51 AM

254 posts, read 316,268 times
Perhaps the media is so hyped up precisely because they are so rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada