Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:58 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammys View Post
No one wants to live in Canada because even though the dollar is at par, everything STILL costs 25% more.
I'm sure it's more than just taxes. The weather and job opportunites would probably be number one and two respectively. For every American that moves to Canada, there's 10 Canadians moving down south. For example.. we're losing a lot of our doctors to Americans because they get paid less up here to do more work because of our overbearing and high demanding health care system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 02:22 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,138 times
Alaska has unbelievable mountains and one can make a ton of money there if they play their cards right. Others mentioned the comparatively decent climate of Anchorage and Juneau. If a guy likes being single, he will find many like minded comrades in Alaska. Alaska also offers freedom, superb fishing & hunting, and some of the worlds best scenery. Alaska also pays people to live there!

Canada is great. I wanted to live in Canada as the Bushbarians were busily ripping our Constitution asunder. But your government was also drinking a lot of the Bushbarian tea! The last decade has just been terrible for individual freedom, privacy, and rights.

Biggest problem with 90% of Canada? It is colder than most people want.

Still....I love Canada. I rooted for Elvis Stojko and still feel upset about him being robbed of the gold so many years ago. I've been to Canada four times...Canadians are just great.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:27 PM

228 posts, read 696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
I'm sure it's more than just taxes. The weather and job opportunites would probably be number one and two respectively. For every American that moves to Canada, there's 10 Canadians moving down south. For example.. we're losing a lot of our doctors to Americans because they get paid less up here to do more work because of our overbearing and high demanding health care system.
This is not true. Minus personal taxes Canadian Doctors get paid more than US doctors.

Quote:
1. Favourable working conditions. Contrary to popular opinion, the vast majority of American doctors make less than their Canadian counterparts. The difference is about $100,000.

2. Despite the myth that Canadians are taxed more, there is not much difference for upper income earners in certain states.

3. In most provinces, doctors can incorporate which allows them to take advantage of numerous tax breaks and other "income-diverting" scenarios.

4. Canadian doctors don't have to deal with the headaches of collecting payments from a variety of insurance companies, since Canada is a single-payer (government) health system.

5. Malpractice insurance premiums are far lower here and Canadians are not as prone to suing doctors, compared to patients in the U.S., partly because court awards here are puny by comparison.
http://communities.canada.com/vancou...s-that-is.aspx

Also there been an reversal of American Doctors Immigrating to Canada.

Doctor drain turns to gain: Physicians move north (http://www.nationalpost.com/Doctor+drain+turns+gain+Physicians+move+north/3497414/story.html - broken link)

Old 01-25-2011, 02:31 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post
This is not true. Minus personal taxes Canadian Doctors get paid more than US doctors.

The Yankees are coming, the Yankees are coming! Doctors, that is. Five reasons why. - Medicine Matters

Also there been an reversal of American Doctors Immigrating to Canada.

Doctor drain turns to gain: Physicians move north (http://www.nationalpost.com/Doctor+drain+turns+gain+Physicians+move+north/3497414/story.html - broken link)
Wow this is news to me, Canadian doctor's are still overworked relative to salary, though. Most specialized doctors (from Canada) make their move to the States due to contrary belief. There's simply more money down there for that type of expertise.

I'd encourage you to read on past the title of the article. The numbers are not as significant as you claim..

Quote:
"The result by 2006 was that 12,000 Canadian-trained doctors — more than 10% of the total — were working in the States"
and we're getting...
"American-trained doctors who came here for the first time jumped to 52 in 2008 from a low of nine in 1995"
wow...that's maybe what, 450 American trained doctors?
"The number jumped to 87 last year from 10 in 2007, and has already reached 66 by this July."
what an exodus!

Old 01-25-2011, 02:34 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammys View Post
No one wants to live in Canada because even though the dollar is at par, everything STILL costs 25% more.
I just love informed participation.
No one wants to live in Canada? Would that be why Canada has the highest per capita net immigration rate in the world?

Old 01-25-2011, 02:52 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
No one wants to live in Canada? Would that be why Canada has the highest per capita net immigration rate in the world?
That might only be partially true. A lot of immigrants to Canada already have the plan to try and go to the states as soon as they get their Canadian citizenship. A big reason why we take in so many immigrants is to bump up the tax base and population numbers. Canadians these days aren't having babies as much as they should, hence the need for massive immigration to keep supporting the system.
A lot of them do want to live here, as they come from some pretty inhospitable places. A lot more of them would go to the states, if their immigration system was easier.
Things also cost more in Canada because we do not have the population to get prices down. America has 310 million people versus our 34 million, and we're far more spread out than our Yank brethren.

As to the original post, most people live in Vancouver because it is the warmest place in Canada without trying to live in the states. Most of the Canadian prairies and far north are just too cold for a lot of people to tough it out.
I guarantee you if the U.S. opened up the border tomorrow, Canada's population would be 5-10% lower easily within a year.

Alaska also has much milder temperatures despite being father north than 90% of the Canadian population.

Last edited by The_gateway; 01-25-2011 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-25-2011, 02:52 PM

228 posts, read 696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Wow this is news to me, Canadian doctor's are still overworked relative to salary, though. Most specialized doctors (from Canada) make their move to the States due to contrary belief. There's simply more money down there for that type of expertise.

I'd encourage you to read on past the title of the article. The numbers are not as significant as you claim..
I've read entire article actually and I never claim they was mass exodus.

I was "pre-med", so I know a low of people in the medical field. Yes most of my friends went to the states, but it mostly due to the limited spaces in Medical Schools and residency spaces up here. Salary was the last thing on their mind. For the majority of them, the US was the last resort.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:57 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
That really doesn't mean much.
It WOULD mean a lot if every country has exactly the same immigrating policy (It is equally difficult/easy to get a PR status in the US, UK, Sweden, France, Norway, Switzerland, Japan etc).

If one can apply for US green card offshore with a couple of years of work experience, I am not sure so many will choose Canada over the US?

Old 01-25-2011, 03:00 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post

If one can apply for US green card offshore with a couple of years of work experience, I am not sure so many will choose Canada over the US?
I would think, If an immigrant had a choice between Canada and the US, and both countries had identical immigration policies, More people would go to the US.

Last edited by The_gateway; 01-25-2011 at 03:12 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 03:01 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
That really doesn't mean much.
It WOULD mean a lot if every country has exactly the same immigrating policy (It is equally difficult/easy to get a PR status in the US, UK, Sweden, France, Norway, Switzerland, Japan etc).

Well I have met 10 Brits who want to move to Canada for every 1 that wants to go to the USA. Does that mean "much"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada