U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 04:09 PM

662 posts, read 650,900 times

Advertisements

I love the pine forests, the rocks, the clean air and open spaces. Lake Erie's warm beaches, driving just a few hours and hearing Timber Wolves, seeing moose. Deer everywhere.
There is just a little too much winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 04:12 PM

748 posts, read 960,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Well I have met 10 Brits who want to move to Canada for every 1 that wants to go to the USA. Does that mean "much"?
Do they want to come to Canada, or do they pick Canada because they cannot get into the states?

Old 01-25-2011, 04:39 PM

1,788 posts, read 625,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishouldknow View Post
I love the pine forests, the rocks, the clean air and open spaces. Lake Erie's warm beaches, driving just a few hours and hearing Timber Wolves, seeing moose. Deer everywhere.
There is just a little too much winter.

And that is why you have clean air, open spaces, the song of the wolves, and other abundant wildlife.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:26 PM

142 posts, read 257,684 times
I agree with this thread wholeheartedly. I already lived in Toronto for 13 years and now in Montreal for 2.

I have officially had enough of Canada.

I would have moved to Europe if I had a EU passport but I don't. So I decided to moving to US in a few months after I sell my car. (I have a second car to get me over).

To be honest I cannot stay happy in Canada anymore. I would much rather work minimum wage than have money here only to see it being taken away in astronomical taxes and go outside to see -30 and gloomy weather. How can people live in such conditions?

Granted I don't have a family or anything tying me down, which is a great feeling I suppose.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:30 PM

43,261 posts, read 47,151,929 times
Fuun taht this came up. I was just lookig at the temperatures and wander why anyone would live i mnay of the popualr place even las night. I guess you have to be born with ice or fire in your soul mnay places.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:00 PM

239 posts, read 340,091 times
Treacherous climate.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:40 AM

485 posts, read 1,505,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammys View Post
No one wants to live in Canada because even though the dollar is at par, everything STILL costs 25% more.
Just another reason to remove all customs arrangements between the US and Canada... An EU style border would help revitalize the North American economy...

Old 01-26-2011, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
That might only be partially true. A lot of immigrants to Canada already have the plan to try and go to the states as soon as they get their Canadian citizenship. A big reason why we take in so many immigrants is to bump up the tax base and population numbers. Canadians these days aren't having babies as much as they should, hence the need for massive immigration to keep supporting the system.
A lot of them do want to live here, as they come from some pretty inhospitable places. A lot more of them would go to the states, if their immigration system was easier.
Things also cost more in Canada because we do not have the population to get prices down. America has 310 million people versus our 34 million, and we're far more spread out than our Yank brethren.

As to the original post, most people live in Vancouver because it is the warmest place in Canada without trying to live in the states. Most of the Canadian prairies and far north are just too cold for a lot of people to tough it out.
I guarantee you if the U.S. opened up the border tomorrow, Canada's population would be 5-10% lower easily within a year.

Alaska also has much milder temperatures despite being father north than 90% of the Canadian population.
I hate to say it but you are probably right. Canada is many immigrants 2nd choice for country to live in and many Canadians would be living in the US today if there was a EU style labour mobility scheme... As it stands, the US is a very hard country to live in permanently unless you have immediate family to sponsor you or you are a rich investor.

10%+ sounds right, especially with the housing prices being 1/2 what they are in Canada. The health insurance issue would keep many folks in Canada though.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Well I have met 10 Brits who want to move to Canada for every 1 that wants to go to the USA. Does that mean "much"?
Because for a Brit, as of today, it is MUCH easier to move to Canada than the US... All things being equal I'm sure the numbers wouldn't be so skewed.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:57 AM

748 posts, read 960,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
The health insurance issue would keep many folks in Canada though.
Possibly, but if the US said "come on down" would the lack of a Canadian health care style system be enough to hold people back? I think not, for the most part....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada