Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:15 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,596,316 times

Advertisements

Personally, I love cold weather and would b perfectly fine in Canada. However, from the sounds of it any sort of residency swap would in reality work out quite badly for Canada. Most people looking to move north are doing it for the social welfare goodies while Canadians moving south are doing so for the entrepenurial oppertuites. America looks to come out the winner of such a battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 05:07 PM

482 posts, read 2,412,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Personally, I love cold weather and would b perfectly fine in Canada. However, from the sounds of it any sort of residency swap would in reality work out quite badly for Canada. Most people looking to move north are doing it for the social welfare goodies while Canadians moving south are doing so for the entrepenurial oppertuites. America looks to come out the winner of such a battle.
Remember though, those social goodies come at a price, namely higher taxes, which and resident moving north would have to pay anyways... As well, anyone moving south would lose benefits such as universal healthcare. I think it would be a wash.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:02 AM

746 posts, read 1,672,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
The Beer Store in Ontario is a goofy concept with weird locations and business hours as well... That is, if you can find one.
That's something that just boggles my mind!
Like, it's borderline prohibition...as if limiting the number of beer stores will cause you to consume less?

I wonder if it's about protecting government jobs; I wonder if they're union and how much they're paid.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:19 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,825,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I would say that out of all these countries Australia is far ahead when it comes to places Brits think about emigrating to.

Canada is seen by many as having most of the good stuff the U.S. has, minus most of the bad stuff. For Brits at least, I would say climate doesn't play into it that much, as most Brits moving to the U.S. settle into the New York/Northeast region anyway.

I also should say that it seems like a lot of the Commonwealth countries have what one might call "insider's prejudice" when it comes to the U.S. People in Canada, the UK, Ireland, Oz and NZ watch so many American TV shows and movies, often violent or "dumbass", that they get this skewed view of what life in the U.S. is really like. A lot of people from these countries that I talk to are totally irrational and out in left field when it comes to estimating how much actual physical danger you are in when *just* visiting the United States.

All this being said, and Canada's good reputation notwithstanding, you encounter few *young* British immigrants in Canada these days. Most of the British accents you hear these days in Canada come out of the mouths of people 60 or over. Whereas in Australia everywhere you go there are young Brits. There are also quite a few young Brits in U.S. cities like New York, Boston and Washington.

It may be a question of a lot of "talk" being about moving to Canada, but when push comes to shove the "action" is going to the States.
The majority of UK immigrants seem to be over 40 or so, most of the young Brits you meet are backpackers on working holidays.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:21 AM

Most of Canada has very severe winters with average January temps of below -20C. To put that into perspective, only a handful of major world cities are that cold: mostly in Russia with one in Mongolia and a few in China. Even Canada's coldest big city of Winnipeg isn't as cold as -20C.

Anchorage averages -10C and Juneau about -2C from memory. Toronto averages -5C and Montreal and Ottawa -10C, in comparison.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:05 AM

26,777 posts, read 37,732,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The majority of UK immigrants seem to be over 40 or so, most of the young Brits you meet are backpackers on working holidays.
I don't want to contradict someone who is on there on the ground in Australia, but aren't a significant number of emi-immigrants who want to start anew aged between 25 and 35? This is true most anywhere... I think.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't want to contradict someone who is on there on the ground in Australia, but aren't a significant number of emi-immigrants who want to start anew aged between 25 and 35? This is true most anywhere... I think.
How did you come to the conclusion this is true most anywhere?

Anyone who lives in Perth can definitely back me up here. While we do get some young British immigrants, by FAR the majority are middle aged and older (by 'middle aged' in this context I mean over 35), often with their own children, who choose the comfortable suburban lifestyle. It's no surprise parts of Perth are almost half British.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:30 PM

26,777 posts, read 37,732,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How did you come to the conclusion this is true most anywhere?

Anyone who lives in Perth can definitely back me up here. While we do get some young British immigrants, by FAR the majority are middle aged and older (by 'middle aged' in this context I mean over 35), often with their own children, who choose the comfortable suburban lifestyle. It's no surprise parts of Perth are almost half British.
Well, I wasn't sure so that is why I said ''I think''. But I did do a search and apparently 85% of immigrants to Australia are under 40. Of course not all of them are British...

Part 2: Long-term demographic and economic projections (http://www.treasury.gov.au/documents/1239/HTML/docshell.asp?URL=03_Part_2.htm - broken link)

But I must say that I have lived in areas with lots of immigrants for most of my adult life. Most recent arrivals I meet or have met seem to be late 20s to early 30s. This follows a certain logic: by that age you generally have a pretty good idea if you are going to ''make it'' in the Midlands or if a move is in the cards. You are also normally young enough to not have kids yet, or if you do they are young enough that you can move them more easily than you could uproot a teenager.

We may also have a different definition of ''middle-aged'' as well, and there may be other specific factors at play locally in Perth.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:13 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,715,611 times
Would you lads care to step over to the Australia forum to debate Perth immigration stats?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:23 PM

661 posts, read 1,247,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
The Beer Store in Ontario is a goofy concept with weird locations and business hours as well... That is, if you can find one.
This makes it sound that you can only buy beer at a "Beer Store" Get the facts straight. You can buy Canadian and foreign beer at the Beer Store, at the LCBO and at the hundreds and hundreds of "Agency Stores". I live in a very small town, the two beer outlets are each no more than a 10 minute walk away. Hop in a car and 15 minutes away are 6. Yeah there isn't beer at every variety store, so? Do you really need that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada