U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 AM

485 posts, read 1,446,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
I really don't know why an intellectual disability has anything to do with you feeling "disabled" about shopping at Walmart. I do agree with you that one should never buy clothing at Walmart. Most of it is poorly made, and if you are a serious shopper, you can find great deals on anything almost anywhere.
Agreed taigagirl. It's a pet peeve of mine too... kkgg7, we know you're better than ripping on folks with disabilities. Honest mistakes happen though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Yes, I agree. Honestly I would rather pay more for quality products than most of the crap in Walmart.
Like the saying goes, "I can't afford to buy crap."

Old 01-27-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I hope the new super stores are open 24/7 like they are in the US.
Most of Canada, outside parts of Toronto/Montreal and a few border regions is just not a 24/7 place unfortunately... Calgary, business capital of the west and a city of 1million+, you think any stores would be open 24 hours a day... Nope.

Most of Canada still has a small town ethos to it, and that means being in bed by 10pm.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I rarely go there, but I do agree that groceries etc., are cheaper, especially for people with families. I am just not a fan of WM, Costco, RCS, or any of these stores. Their parking lots, size, and lineups drive me crazy. If I had a family, I might feel differently...no, I probably would still hate WM. They have had a profound effect on "Mom and Pop" operations, and the sense of community especially in smaller towns.
The mom and pop retailers that survived the Walmart "revolution" had to create niches or excel at certain areas, and good on 'em. I remember the retail landscape before Walmart, the retailers, especially the mom and pops, too everyone for granted. We can thank Walmart for ridding the country of that, and I hope Target does the same.

I find myself at Target when in the states, and their clothing quality is better than Walmarts. Much better.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:11 PM

7,371 posts, read 3,183,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
The mom and pop retailers that survived the Walmart "revolution" had to create niches or excel at certain areas, and good on 'em. I remember the retail landscape before Walmart, the retailers, especially the mom and pops, too everyone for granted. We can thank Walmart for ridding the country of that, and I hope Target does the same.

I find myself at Target when in the states, and their clothing quality is better than Walmarts. Much better.
I go to Target sometimes when I am in the States. You're right, the mom and pops did take alot for granted. Walmart did rid the country of that, but the trade off in small rural communities has been high. Walmart likes to collect "donations" from its customers, which it may or may not match. The mom and pops were much better at giving at the local level, because they knew who buttered their bread. Fortunately, Winnipeg still has lots of small shops to wander around in, and I am much happier supporting local businesses that invest in the community, rather than WM. WM certainly forced retailers to get good at the game, or get out.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:33 AM

19,506 posts, read 15,057,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Most of Canada, outside parts of Toronto/Montreal and a few border regions is just not a 24/7 place unfortunately... Calgary, business capital of the west and a city of 1million+, you think any stores would be open 24 hours a day... Nope.

Most of Canada still has a small town ethos to it, and that means being in bed by 10pm.
When i'm vacationing in Florida its convenient to go shopping at 2-3am and pick up stuff like fishing gear and bait,shotgun shells,motor oil, clothing and do some grocery shopping.
(2-3am? its a 20yrs on the nightshift thing)

Old 01-29-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
I go to Target sometimes when I am in the States. You're right, the mom and pops did take alot for granted. Walmart did rid the country of that, but the trade off in small rural communities has been high. Walmart likes to collect "donations" from its customers, which it may or may not match. The mom and pops were much better at giving at the local level, because they knew who buttered their bread. Fortunately, Winnipeg still has lots of small shops to wander around in, and I am much happier supporting local businesses that invest in the community, rather than WM. WM certainly forced retailers to get good at the game, or get out.
I look at it this way... This is a capitalist country for the most part. Those mom and pop businesses that fell by the wayside didn't serve their customers needs well enough and deserved what they got... Its a form of macroeconomic catharsis. Market Darwinism. I work in an industry where the public takes no pity on the unsuccessful and the market can be cruel yet meritocratic. I don't see why some folks like "lower than average" unsuccessful shopkeepers and farmers deserve special treatment...

Old 01-29-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When i'm vacationing in Florida its convenient to go shopping at 2-3am and pick up stuff like fishing gear and bait,shotgun shells,motor oil, clothing and do some grocery shopping.
(2-3am? its a 20yrs on the nightshift thing)
People in the know (such as yourself) know that grocery shopping at 5am is much, much more quicker and efficient than at 5pm. Back in Windsor most grocery stores are open 24/7 thanks to the 24/7 industrial and transportation economy. Not so in white collar, white bread, small town Calgary unfortunately.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:42 PM

4 posts, read 10,859 times
Wal mart is so common here in Canada! It is definately the cheapest Place to shop, considering we don't have Target, there really arnt much of any competitors. The superstores here are also extremely convinent, there's one right down my street and If Im missing anything I could just walk there and grab em off he shelf. a problem is that the grocery there is not as fresh as loblaws. But hey, it's cheap!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:22 PM

1,041 posts, read 706,375 times
I don't hate Wal Mart. I just think it's a place for poor people. Going in there depresses me.

I generally dislike large retail stores. I try to avoid surburb malls with their huge hangars of stuff and never ending parking lot. I prefer shopping by foot in smaller shops downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada