Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:37 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Wal-Marts the are busiest stores in Calgary, and I'm assuming in Canada. There is a reason for that... When you walk into a Walmart you know the quality for many things might not be the best, but at least you won't get ripped off...
Canada as well isn't nearly as well retailed as the US (even Hawaii has better retail) so in many cases folks don't have much choice except Walmart for their price point.

Walmart though has actually been credited in Canada for helping keep inflation in check.

Canadians have a love/hate relationship with Walmart... Many folks who think they are "above" Walmart might slander it, but they still shop there... It's almost like a dirty little secret... What many Canadians don't like is Walmarts politics, the anti-unionization, the chiselling of suppliers and forcing them to go to China, etc. Remember, Canada is still primarily a left wing country outside of Western Canada...

Now when Target opens up here in a few years things will get interesting.... Target fits in more with the Canadian vibe than Walmart.
Yes, I agree. Honestly I would rather pay more for quality products than most of the crap in Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 PM

613 posts, read 815,222 times
I can't speak for anyone but myself.

I detest Walmart.

I never shop there and I never will.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:30 AM

746 posts, read 1,676,906 times
If canada hates walmart, they sure have a bad way of showing it. Every time I go to wallyworld, the lines are long, the store is packed and there isn't a parking space to be found.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I hope the new super stores are open 24/7 like they are in the US.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:34 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh1954 View Post
I can't speak for anyone but myself.

I detest Walmart.

I never shop there and I never will.
agreed!!, I would rather pay more to avoid that hell-hole

Old 01-27-2011, 08:31 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times
I love Walmart. When in Canada I buy a lot of name brand products there (cosmetics, cleaning supplies, etc) as they are less expensive than elsewhere. Clothes, never. And who doesn't love this site (albeit photos are from USA stores) but still a good chuckle! Funny Pictures at WalMart California

Old 01-27-2011, 09:14 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,695 times
I rarely go there, but I do agree that groceries etc., are cheaper, especially for people with families. I am just not a fan of WM, Costco, RCS, or any of these stores. Their parking lots, size, and lineups drive me crazy. If I had a family, I might feel differently...no, I probably would still hate WM. They have had a profound effect on "Mom and Pop" operations, and the sense of community especially in smaller towns.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:18 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
I hate Walmart. I have been to Walmart when I couldn't find filters for my vacuum cleaner anywhere else. That's it.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
Of course Canadians don't "Hate Walmart". Some may but the millions that shop there obviously don't. There are many great things about the company and some bad things also. That's life and the way of the world. I really like their energy policies and in the corporate world they are leading the way in so many green areas. In their anti union stance I personally have a big problem. I'm not really a Walmart shopper here in Canada but when I'm in the USA I probably shop there more than anywhere else.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
I rarely go there, but I do agree that groceries etc., are cheaper, especially for people with families. I am just not a fan of WM, Costco, RCS, or any of these stores. Their parking lots, size, and lineups drive me crazy. If I had a family, I might feel differently...no, I probably would still hate WM. They have had a profound effect on "Mom and Pop" operations, and the sense of community especially in smaller towns.
I took my mom to Walmart once. She doesn't like running from one store to the other to find different things, and she doesn't like driving in the city.

She hated Walmart and she has a family and she looks for the best bargain. She liked K-mart when it still existed. But Walmart, nope.

So you probably would still hate Walmart no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada