Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 AM

12 posts, read 28,420 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are of Asian (Indian) decent, born in the Caribbean. We're interested in moving to the Maritimes to further our education. We're attracted by the low tuition fees and the nice weather. However, we're worried about racism. We don't want to arrive there and find that we're harassed, heckled or discriminated against.

We're specifically considering Moncton (we can speak French) and from online demographics, it seems that less than 1% of the population of Moncton is non-white.

Could you advise us on whether or not it's advisable for us to relocate here? Or should we consider somewhere where we might blend in easier?

Thanks
AJB

Last edited by annejballard; 03-10-2011 at 07:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 07:33 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,624 times
Sounds like you are expecting to to find ill favor in advance.
Any basis for expected Asian hate in your new location?
Perhaps the locals are low acheavers and resent Asian drive. Is that it?
If they won't rent to you or beat you up reconsider.
If you are made to feel uncomfortable get over it.
Sticks and stones ........ but bad vibes never hurt anyone.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:14 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times
I wouldn't worry about it

Old 03-10-2011, 08:20 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Anything can happen anywhere, but I wouldn't be too concerned.

Especially in Moncton, there is an international vibe (mouvance) surrounding the Université de Moncton that is actually pretty cool and surprising.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:46 AM

233 posts, read 538,443 times
If you're looking for cheap tuition you should consider Memorial University in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador. Memorial has the lowest tuition fees in Canada and much lower then universities in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI. Memorial is also the largest campus in Atlantic Canada(which is the Maritime plus NL) and while I'm not sure of the percentage there are good number of international students of different races on campus, particularly asian. The city itself is probably just as non-white as Moncton but that doesn't include students at Memorial who are from different locations, and I doubt you'd experience any racism here.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:01 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Why are you being prejudiced against white people? Do you automatically assume that because an area is 99% white, that it's because of racism? Come on, man. I'm from the Caribbean too (Puerto Rico) and I lived in a 99% white area in the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania and had no problems. Open your mind, please

Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poscstudent View Post
If you're looking for cheap tuition you should consider Memorial University in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador. Memorial has the lowest tuition fees in Canada and much lower then universities in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI. ....

Not for International students.

Tuition for International Students at Memorial: $8800/year
Tuition for International Students at Universite de Moncton: $8343/year
Tuition for International Students at Crandall University (Moncton): $8175/year

Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 AM

228 posts, read 696,411 times
To tell you the truth op, you are not going to get a honest answer. Most of the people posting in this board are a part of the majority. They think because they're a few non-white people walking around their town, that everything is hunky-dory and racism doesn't exist when in reality that is further from the truth.

I can't speak about the maritimes, but based on my experience being born and raise in another part of Canada, you probably won't get harassed or heckled. discrimination do occur but it's very covert and you probably won't noticed it right away.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:21 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post
To tell you the truth op, you are not going to get a honest answer. Most of the people posting in this board are a part of the majority. They think because they're a few non-white people walking around their town, that everything is hunky-dory and racism doesn't exist when in reality that is further from the truth.

I can't speak about the maritimes, but based on my experience being born and raise in another part of Canada, you probably won't get harassed or heckled. discrimination do occur but it's very covert and you probably won't noticed it right away.
One cannot honestly say that any place in the world is free of racism, however there is no good reason to strongly advise a non-white person against moving to a place like Moncton or another of the major cities in Atlantic Canada. At least not compared to any other place on the planet where members of the racial group they belong to are, like Moncton, not the majority of the population.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:26 AM

233 posts, read 538,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Not for International students.

Tuition for International Students at Memorial: $8800/year
Tuition for International Students at Universite de Moncton: $8343/year
Tuition for International Students at Crandall University (Moncton): $8175/year

I hadn't thought about that, but how does this work if this couple actually relocates to Canada? They won't be able to get citizenship right away but are they considered international students?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada