Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:43 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeaman0 View Post
I don't know about that. I'm African American and I met some bigots in Canada. Alot of people stereotyped me there too. Not saying all Canadians are like this, but Canada does have it's share of racism.
Sorry to hear that - but your experience has nothing to do with governmental regulations on immigration and who gets into the country: Canada Immigration does not discrimate based on sexual orientation or race and same-sex partners have equal footing with straight applicants.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:30 PM

42 posts, read 154,764 times
Quote:
Every country, especially Canada has really restrictive, bureaucratic, demanding immigration laws.
This isn't really true... the reason why Canada has so many immigrants is because it is not very difficult to immigrate there. Of late though, because of the increasingly large number of applicants, Canada has become more selective. But still it is a lot easier to immigrate to Canada than to say, the US.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:16 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Quote:
Immigration is BS. And we should have an easy alternative to living in america.

You converted me.

I'm going to write a stern letter to my MP demanding the Harper Government (formerly known as the Government of Canada) recognize the needs of US citizens and pass new "open door" regulations especially for them.

It seems the only fair thing to do considering the existing "special" considerations Canadians are granted by the US.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:17 PM

95 posts, read 258,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
You converted me.

I'm going to write a stern letter to my MP demanding the Harper Government (formerly known as the Government of Canada) recognize the needs of US citizens and pass new "open door" regulations especially for them.

It seems the only fair thing to do considering the existing "special" considerations Canadians are granted by the US.
It doesn't suprise me that you would have something smart and sarcastic to say as usual. Whatever you say. I'm glad I converted you. Write your letter. While you're at it go ahead and reply with something else smart, I know you will. You're just a funny guy.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Sorry to hear that - but your experience has nothing to do with governmental regulations on immigration and who gets into the country: Canada Immigration does not discrimate based on sexual orientation or race and same-sex partners have equal footing with straight applicants.
Well I wasn't saying Canadian Immigration is like that with who they let into the country. I said what I said in response to someone else who said everyone is treated fairly and equally in Canada. I was just saying that isn't always true. Not with immigration, but in general society.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziz93144 View Post
This isn't really true... the reason why Canada has so many immigrants is because it is not very difficult to immigrate there. Of late though, because of the increasingly large number of applicants, Canada has become more selective. But still it is a lot easier to immigrate to Canada than to say, the US.
Well considering what I put in my last post, I have to disagree with it not being very difficult to immigrate to Canada. If it was easy, I would've lived there for almost 10 years now. But I have heard from most that the u.s. is much harder to immigrate to.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
You converted me.

And I can express myself however I want. What I said does make sense. People should have an alternative to living in america, because it sucks. However most americans actually like living here, so most would stay. And there's lots of Canadians here. There's a hell of a lot more Canadians here, than there are yanks in Canada. You sarcastically joked about "open door regulations", but that's exactly what exists between OZ and NZ, and for the EU. But there is no easy alternative for yanks, although some claim this is the "freest" country in the world.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:52 PM

398 posts, read 732,850 times
If any American who wanted to move to Canada could do so at the drop of a hat, Canada would pretty soon lose its unique qualities. If anyone from Los Angeles, or New York, or Florida, or Oklahoma could pack a U-Haul and move to Toronto or Calgary or Halifax, we would have a lot of people moving there for free health care, cheaper universities, taking available job openings, then turning around and voting the same way they did back in the U.S. (for ignorant right-wing politicians) thus turning Canada into nothing more than a colder version of the U.S. with more hockey fans. Back in the day when travel was costly and difficult, there were open borders and plenty of Americans moved to Canada, many of whom were not skilled university-educated people. But now unfortunately travel is so cheap and easy that there realistically needs to be some level of immigration control. If a U.S. citizen really wants to move to Canada, I am sure he or she can find a way unless they are inadmissible under the serious criminality grounds. Canada is extremely generous with extending student visas to work visas upon graduation, and then providing a route to permanent residency. The U.S. doesn't allow that... if you go to school in the U.S. you have to get the hell out after you graduate unless you come in under a costly and difficult H1B or other employment visa.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:04 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Quote:
And I can express myself however I want. What I said does make sense. People should have an alternative to living in america, because it sucks. However most americans actually like living here, so most would stay. And there's lots of Canadians here. There's a hell of a lot more Canadians here, than there are yanks in Canada. You sarcastically joked about "open door regulations", but that's exactly what exists between OZ and NZ, and for the EU. But there is no easy alternative for yanks, although some claim this is the "freest" country in the world.
I totally agree with you, but it will never happen. The right-wingers in the U.S. and the Canadians who want Canada to remain distinct will vote against it. It used to be a lot easier to go to Canada, but now it's difficult with new restrictions and passports.

However, I can see where the Canucks are coming from. A Canada with a lot of Americans is just Minnesota. It would lose it's difference as "the better America." And because Canada is already virtually culturally identical to the U.S., it wouldn't take much for it to lose what tiny difference it has.

If you're looking for an easy alternative to America, look at Svalbard. It's an island north of Norway. There are virtually no immigration restrictions -- all you need is a job offer and you can move there. Plenty of Americans live and work there. Also, I think you can go to college free there, too. The downside? It's freezing cold. It's at the same latitude as northern Greenland, so it gets frigid weather.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:30 PM

228 posts, read 696,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I totally agree with you, but it will never happen. The right-wingers in the U.S. and the Canadians who want Canada to remain distinct will vote against it. It used to be a lot easier to go to Canada, but now it's difficult with new restrictions and passports.

However, I can see where the Canucks are coming from. A Canada with a lot of Americans is just Minnesota. It would lose it's difference as "the better America." And because Canada is already virtually culturally identical to the U.S., it wouldn't take much for it to lose what tiny difference it has.

If you're looking for an easy alternative to America, look at Svalbard. It's an island north of Norway. There are virtually no immigration restrictions -- all you need is a job offer and you can move there. Plenty of Americans live and work there. Also, I think you can go to college free there, too. The downside? It's freezing cold. It's at the same latitude as northern Greenland, so it gets frigid weather.
The Arctic? Seriously? I don't think he's that desperate to leave the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada