U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 AM

7 posts, read 9,967 times
Default How Difficult is it to move from US to Canda?

I'm an American citizen and would like to move to Vancouver but am not sure what kind of hoops i'll have to jump through just to move into Canada.

I don't qualify as a "skilled worker" even though i'm a construction project manager. I don't qualify as an entreprenuer or an investor either. Is there any kind of easy to get a permanent residency card?

I mean, i'm a straight, attractive, young, ambitions, white, American male. Something I expect any country would welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:54 AM

8,690 posts, read 4,129,700 times
Well, what I would suggest to you is to get in touch with an immigration lawyer in Vancouver and get the ball rolling. I think you have made a wise decision. Van is just too cool! I just really love that city and if it were not for the fact that I have 6 kids living here in the east I would move there myself. So, the very best of luck to you in your quest.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:34 AM

3,548 posts, read 4,467,241 times
You probably haven't looked at the Immigration Canada website in a long while. Have a look, they've changed the skilled workers category to skilled trades, mostly -- especially skilled trades supervisors are needed:

215 Contractors and Supervisors, Carpentry Trades
7216 Contractors and Supervisors, Mechanic Trades
7241 Electricians (Except Industrial & Power System)
7242 Industrial Electricians
7251 Plumbers
7265 Welders & Related Machine Operators
7312 Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanics
7371 Crane Operators
7372 Drillers & Blasters - Surface Mining, Quarrying & Construction
8222 Supervisors, Oil and Gas Drilling and Service

Instructions on which skilled worker applications are eligible for processing

Old 03-10-2011, 11:44 AM

286 posts, read 561,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillN View Post
I mean, i'm a straight, attractive, young, ambitions, white, American male. Something I expect any country would welcome.
You forgot to mention "red-blooded".

Hope it works out for you. It's not as easy for Americans to move to Canada as most people would think.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:51 AM

5,992 posts, read 6,583,124 times
From what I've heard, it's darn near impossible. If it was easier, I would be in Canada right now.

If you can't get into to Vancouver, you could always move to Bellingham, Washington. It's about 30 minutes away -- close enough to experience a similar atmosphere and visit from time to time (if Canadian immigration lets you through).

Old 03-10-2011, 03:55 PM

3,062 posts, read 3,811,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillN View Post
I'm an American citizen and would like to move to Vancouver ... I mean, i'm a straight, attractive, young, ambitions, white, American male. Something I expect any country would welcome.
Well actually, in Canada they like gays and people of all races, so being straight and white doesn't give you an advantage. Now if you were a neurosurgeon or something . . . . okay, forget that. You could always marry a Canadian!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:29 PM

398 posts, read 126,358 times
One way is to go to school up there. After you graduate, you can get a work visa to stay. After a few years, you can turn that work visa into a permanent residence visa, which is a route to citizenship. That's the way to do it if you can't qualify as a skilled worker.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:13 AM

11 posts, read 28,853 times
As I just posted in the "health care costs..." thread, I am an American who went to graduate school in Canada. The relocation was really pretty simple. However, if you're not looking to go to school I think it may be a bit more difficult. Get a Canadian company to give you a job, that's probably the best way to do it.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:38 AM

95 posts, read 29,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
From what I've heard, it's darn near impossible. If it was easier, I would be in Canada right now.

If you can't get into to Vancouver, you could always move to Bellingham, Washington. It's about 30 minutes away -- close enough to experience a similar atmosphere and visit from time to time (if Canadian immigration lets you through).
Exactly. I've wanted to move to Canada since I was in high school. Yeah if it was that easy I would be there too. It is hard for yanks to move to Canada. And you'lle notice Canada is very diverse. They have nationalities there from all over the world, but not that many americans. I live in Seattle, and go to Vancouver or Victoria when I get a chance. But visiting briefly just isn't enough. Canada is a wonderful place to live in comparison to the states. There is no "easy" way to move to Canada, leave the states, or move to any country. Every country, especially Canada has really restrictive, bureaucratic, demanding immigration laws. I went to school in Vancouver last year as an international student for two semesters, but had to leave because it was super expensive, and you can't even work legally for the first six months. I saved up for 2 years to go to school in Canada, and all my money was gone within a year. And this is even with taking out student loans! My plan was to study there so that I could get more points when I apply for permanent residence, because you get more points as a skilled worker if you've studied in Canada. So it seems the most practical ways to move there would be to "get married" which I'm not gonna do, or wait until I do qualify under the points system which is very difficult. I still have about 3 years to go til I get my bachelors. Even with that, I still wouldn't make enough points, so more than likely I'll have to get 5 years of pro work exp., learn french, and/or do grad school. So it'll be like 7 years from now or so, before I can apply. That's too long. Immigration is BS. And we should have an easy alternative to living in america.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:40 AM

95 posts, read 29,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Well actually, in Canada they like gays and people of all races, so being straight and white doesn't give you an advantage. Now if you were a neurosurgeon or something . . . . okay, forget that. You could always marry a Canadian!
I don't know about that. I'm African American and I met some bigots in Canada. Alot of people stereotyped me there too. Not saying all Canadians are like this, but Canada does have it's share of racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada