U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 11:42 PM

4 posts, read 27,831 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am a 20 year old Industrial Instrumentation Engineering Technologist working in Fort McMurray and am sick and tired of the male to female ratio here, the extremely cold weather, and the "keeping up with the Jones'" mentality that people up North have here,

I work for Suncor since mid February of 2011, and plan on leaving the job and city by August, or September.

I have Montreal in mind even though it can be really cold, and the people might be too direct and impolite, but I took High School French, and am willing to learn French, and enjoy a more relaxed, yet sexual European life that many men in Fort McMurray lack.

Then there is Vancouver. What's not to like? Lots of green, rain, and singles to mix with. The traffic may be horrible, but I am confident than in one weeks time, I can easily network my way to my free time after work. The dating scene here is crucial though as I hear that women are generally cold, and men are generally lazy in their game. Lots of brown girls, so it helps to meet women from my race.

St John's, Newfoundland is another good place to be, though for engineers and technicians it can be tough to find jobs. Most men move to Fort McMurray, or elsewhere so the women are left behind. The place is my favorite so even if I can find a decent job with affordable pay, I would move there just to spend my 20's as a ladies man. I would really love to find a contact from St. Johns who can help me out in that regards.

Anyways, what do you guys think? I know I am being shallow, but I am young, finished my education, and now gaining experience from a multi-billion dollar oil/gas company. It's about time I toned down, and enjoyed life.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 06:37 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,365,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowscar View Post
Hi!

I am a 20 year old Industrial Instrumentation Engineering Technologist working in Fort McMurray and am sick and tired of the male to female ratio here, the extremely cold weather, and the "keeping up with the Jones'" mentality that people up North have here,

I work for Suncor since mid February of 2011, and plan on leaving the job and city by August, or September.

I have Montreal in mind even though it can be really cold, .
Montreal may not be mild but it certainly not as cold as Fort McMurray...

Old 03-15-2011, 08:25 PM

233 posts, read 451,682 times
I'm from St. John's.

Finding a job in the oil & gas industry in the city is hard when you don't have any experience, though I know of people, with and without post-secondary education, who spent only a matter of months in Alberta and now have well paying jobs on the rigs. With your education though you'd probably rather not be on the rigs. I know of an engineer and an engineer tech who applied for jobs with different oil companies in Alberta and the companies told them that they could relocate them to St. John's within a few years, so checking with Suncor on oppertunities here might be an idea too.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:12 PM

4 posts, read 27,831 times
HAHAHA! Weather is something I can get used to, and Vancouver seems really nice on that. However, my main concern is having a good job. If I can have a decent job, then women should be plenty. I do not say this because I am a player, but rather because I want to spend time with a girl who is not necessarily a picky *****.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:08 AM

10,907 posts, read 23,190,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowscar View Post
Hi!

I have Montreal in mind even though it can be really cold, and the people might be too direct and impolite, but I took High School French, and am willing to learn French, and enjoy a more relaxed, yet sexual European life that many men in Fort McMurray lack.

Then there is Vancouver. What's not to like? Lots of green, rain, and singles to mix with. The traffic may be horrible, but I am confident than in one weeks time, I can easily network my way to my free time after work. The dating scene here is crucial though as I hear that women are generally cold, and men are generally lazy in their game. Lots of brown girls, so it helps to meet women from my race.

St John's, Newfoundland is another good place to be, though for engineers and technicians it can be tough to find jobs. Most men move to Fort McMurray, or elsewhere so the women are left behind. The place is my favorite so even if I can find a decent job with affordable pay, I would move there just to spend my 20's as a ladies man. I would really love to find a contact from St. Johns who can help me out in that regards.

Anyways, what do you guys think? I know I am being shallow, but I am young, finished my education, and now gaining experience from a multi-billion dollar oil/gas company. It's about time I toned down, and enjoyed life.
well traffic depends where you live and how far away you work and what would you free time after work because vancouver is in no a club or party town. best way to meet people is get into snowboarding or downhill mountain biking or something or get into a 4x4 club alot of people camp and party up at stave lake it was fun in my early 20's but now it is just a good place to go fishing stave is fun in that that where early 20's people party but for me since i was not a hard drinker and went to run my truck it was not fun when you break stuff on your truck or get stuck beyond being able to use your winch or be towed out.
stave lake is the whole reason I have a corbeau bucket seats and a 4 point harness in my F250 and built the suspension and drivetrain to handle being jumped as for getting a GF just be yourself and have fun.

also do you have your SAIT diploma in Instrumentation Engineering Technology?
because you would be nuts to leave Fort McMurray now just to meet a girl I would stay and work your butt off for 9-10 years and save half and invest the rest in both high risk and meduium risk stocks and an investment manager to look after your portfolio.

your young and have a future at suncor plus age 20-30 is when you invest in stocks that are high risk with the potential return to be very high but don't buy a new car/truck/boat or try and to a get a morgage for a house and no it is not worth it to give up a secure finacial future to a ladies man in your 20's.

the same thing happened here in vancouver in 05-07 with the housing boom the people in the trades made huge amounts of money and also spent alot of it on brand new fully loaded trucks and top of the line ATV's, jetskis and snowmobiles and partying but then it all crashed in 08 and they were screwed

Last edited by GTOlover; 03-17-2011 at 12:13 PM..

Old 03-17-2011, 01:28 PM

3,097 posts, read 4,155,684 times
I know there is a suncor presence in the GTA, maybe you can move here

Old 03-23-2011, 09:33 AM

64 posts, read 106,176 times
I am not sure what you actually can do but maybe a job on the railroad would be good? They make a lot of money.

As for the girls, seeing as you are young you may not care about this but I wouldn't recommend being with a girl that is only dating you because you have a good job. I assume women in Fort McMurray go after guys there to find a guy that makes a lot of money.

IMO girls from smaller cities are the best to marry due to not having the "material" mentality. Find a job for CN and move to a small border city.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:08 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,573,355 times
Medicine Hat. The companies there send their people out all over the world in the gas business.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:25 PM

233 posts, read 451,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Medicine Hat. The companies there send their people out all over the world in the gas business.
Medicine Hat still has cold winter and oil companies in any city send there employees around the world, depending on their job.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:23 AM

10,907 posts, read 23,190,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin69 View Post
I am not sure what you actually can do but maybe a job on the railroad would be good? They make a lot of money.

As for the girls, seeing as you are young you may not care about this but I wouldn't recommend being with a girl that is only dating you because you have a good job. I assume women in Fort McMurray go after guys there to find a guy that makes a lot of money.

IMO girls from smaller cities are the best to marry due to not having the "material" mentality. Find a job for CN and move to a small border city.
yeah but his degree is only in the oil and natural gas industry he would need to go back to school and CN is one of those industries it is not what you know it is who you know that gets your foot in the door. A heavy duty mechanic is in very high demand at CN right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or