Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:25 AM

5 posts, read 14,901 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Thunder Bay and was wondering if anyone could tell me more about the city. I know it has cold, long winters, which I consider a plus, so that doesn't need to be mentioned. What's the crime like? Are jobs hard to come by? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:38 AM

981 posts, read 2,701,174 times
Thunder Bay - what's it like in general?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:00 AM

51 posts, read 151,542 times
Visiting Thunder Bay, Ontario

Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 AM

I've read both of those. The first one didn't really give much insight, and while city sites can be informative, they don't really paint an accurate picture since they're concerned about making their city look good instead of how life there actually is. Nonetheless, thanks for the help so far.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:57 AM

122 posts, read 478,537 times
Unless you have a decent paying job already lined up, Thunday Bay would be a poor choice to start a new chapter in your life. Like the other thread mentioned, it's a lonely, isolated, economically depressed city where alcohol addiction runs rampant (hmmm, I wonder why???).

Sure, the cost of renting an apartment may be low, but if you can't get a decent paying job, what's the point?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:05 AM

Personally, I don't mind being isolated. As for a decent paying job, I'm wanting to go to college in the fall, so I'm not expecting one, and neither is my girlfriend who works in the childcare industry which isn't good paying to begin with. Speaking of which, are childcare jobs, such as early childhood/daycare teachers job hard to come buy?

Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 AM

122 posts, read 478,537 times
"are childcare jobs, such as early childhood/daycare teachers job hard to come buy?"

In a reputable daycare, yes.....

Old 03-16-2011, 08:04 AM

What about in North Bay?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 AM

64 posts, read 125,134 times
I live in Thunder Bay and it's not as bad as people say.

For the job debate, I graduate from uni (accounting) and found a job 40k/yr starting. My gf is a PSW and she makes over 40 starting. We are 24 years old. Obviosuly those are not high salaries as in Toronto but in Toronto we would make MAYBE 50k a yr for the same jobs. the cost of living would be almost double what we pay now if we lived down there. You can live a good life in Tbay with 80-100k family income.

For the alcohol debate, yes its bad. Only because there is nothing to do here unless you snow mobile, play hockey, go fishing etc. It's too cold in the winter to do anything so on a friday/saturday night, people go to the bars.

Also if you want to move here, don't live anywhere in Westfort, Simpson street area or near cumberland. Lots of Natives live there and (not to sound racist) they are not people you want to live by. Lets just say they have a hard life.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin69 View Post
I live in Thunder Bay and it's not as bad as people say.

For the job debate, I graduate from uni (accounting) and found a job 40k/yr starting. My gf is a PSW and she makes over 40 starting. We are 24 years old. Obviosuly those are not high salaries as in Toronto but in Toronto we would make MAYBE 50k a yr for the same jobs. the cost of living would be almost double what we pay now if we lived down there. You can live a good life in Tbay with 80-100k family income.

For the alcohol debate, yes its bad. Only because there is nothing to do here unless you snow mobile, play hockey, go fishing etc. It's too cold in the winter to do anything so on a friday/saturday night, people go to the bars.

Also if you want to move here, don't live anywhere in Westfort, Simpson street area or near cumberland. Lots of Natives live there and (not to sound racist) they are not people you want to live by. Lets just say they have a hard life.
What parts of Thunder Bay would you recommoned? Also, I know the crime rate is high, but is there a lot of random crime, or if you mind your own business then you're fine sort of thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada