Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:16 PM

5 posts, read 5,401 times

Advertisements

we are trying to get the price of gas down and we are asking all canadians who care to help out, until the price of gas comes back to a .99 a litre, this is what you can do. don't buy gas at ESSO,SUNOCO AND PETRO CANADA, by starving out these companies, they will lower the prices to be competive in the market place, but let the price war continue until the price hits .99. don't rely on the goverment to do anything to help out as the higher the price is the more they make in taxes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 01:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
We wont be seeing $0.99L gas ever again, as for boycotting various gas stations? that dont work as you'll never get such a concentrated following to make a differnce and those gas companies can wait a lot longer than your need to fill your gas tank. Also many gas companies are the only name in town once out in rural Canada.
Also there is no price war here in Canada as all the companies are in collusion to all set the same regional price.. even if your efforts at getting everybody to stop buying gas i suspect the companies would just declare bankruptcy and go out of business before lowering their prices or just rely on their profits from other countries around the world.
If you want to personally get out from under high gas prices buy a fuel efficient car (40mpg+), drive less.or ride a bicycle or live within walking distance to work..

Last edited by jambo101; 04-02-2012 at 01:15 AM..

Old 04-02-2012, 04:58 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Agreed. To be honest, what we need to do is just transition away from gas entirely. It sounds like it isn't doable, but with concerted social effort we can do it. Really, lower gas prices would just be a quick fix, we need to look long term for a children's future. It'll be tough, but we need to see electric cars (and the infrastructure to make them convenient) take root, as well as buses that run on other stuff. Forget about gas, we need to just quit the stuff.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:58 AM

Agreed on the alternate fuels, Electricity being a good one if you have the option to plug it in, Natural gas would be another option, personally i drive a Yaris and the wife drives an Echo,, very economical cars..
For some reason most of our conservative neighbors to the south have their knickers in a knot when it comes to alternate fueled vehicles or tiny fuel efficient cars like the Smart car or Hybrids etc.,mention plugin cars and they start acting all weird like you are one of those infernal environmentalist tree huggers types, you would definitely be considered a Communist if you showed up in an electric car at Big Bubba's BBQ

Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
I'm currently still wintering in mid-Florida and am amazed at the number of Prius's I've seen on the streets down here.

Folks are waking up but it's gonna be a long hard slog to convince people the need to economize should involve buying a car that is close to twice the cost of anything else with similar spec's.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'm currently still wintering in mid-Florida and am amazed at the number of Prius's I've seen on the streets down here.

Folks are waking up but it's gonna be a long hard slog to convince people the need to economize should involve buying a car that is close to twice the cost of anything else with similar spec's.
Just got back from a winter trip to the Tampa Bay area and i can see why they are all whining about gas prices as they've never heeded the warning signs that higher gas prices were coming, seems they are mostly driving large vehicles especially pickups and suv's and tell me that 20mpg is pretty good gas mileage..

Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 PM

178 posts, read 523,817 times
In American south many people need to drive trucks to fish and hunt. Tell me how you will go off road in your prius? Tell me you are going to put a smelly fish or animal into your backseat? Also what if you need to tow your trailer or a boat? People forget that a lot of areas in Texas and Florida are unpaved, or paved so badly with cracking pavement. Only a truck will go there.

Then again a lot of Canadians need to drive up to Simcoe and see what is sitting in 90% of driveways. Gasp. it's the god-awful pickups...

leftists like Jambo make me laugh sometimes.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:18 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
I agree, I don't think we'll ever see .99L gas again. I think it will be easier for the majority of Canadians to transition away from gas fueled vehicles than it will be for Americans because Canada has 1/10th the population and Canadians aren't as spread out through the country as much as Americans are. Eventually those Canadians (and Americans) who don't NEED trucks and other gas hogs will have to give in to other more practical and economical modes of transportation. I can see a time coming in the future when gas will be rationed and those who need big gas guzzlers (as opposed to just wanting them) will have to prove that they need them to support their livelihood in order to qualify for them and the gas rations.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architext View Post
In American south many people need to drive trucks to fish and hunt. Tell me how you will go off road in your prius? Tell me you are going to put a smelly fish or animal into your backseat? Also what if you need to tow your trailer or a boat? People forget that a lot of areas in Texas and Florida are unpaved, or paved so badly with cracking pavement. Only a truck will go there.

Then again a lot of Canadians need to drive up to Simcoe and see what is sitting in 90% of driveways. Gasp. it's the god-awful pickups...

leftists like Jambo make me laugh sometimes.
The world throws challenges at us regardless of what we need to do, hard reality doesn't care about the conditions we built ways of living around. Yeah, this is a challenge for Canadians to, the fact that the going is slow and the transition is tough doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile to move towards this goal. I'm actually pretty confident we'll build systems that will optimize how we use our resources, so rural people will probably be given the means to continue working the land, but it's change or fail, that's how things have always worked.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:50 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I agree, I don't think we'll ever see .99L gas again. I think it will be easier for the majority of Canadians to transition away from gas fueled vehicles than it will be for Americans because Canada has 1/10th the population and Canadians aren't as spread out through the country as much as Americans are. Eventually those Canadians (and Americans) who don't NEED trucks and other gas hogs will have to give in to other more practical and economical modes of transportation. I can see a time coming in the future when gas will be rationed and those who need big gas guzzlers (as opposed to just wanting them) will have to prove that they need them to support their livelihood in order to qualify for them and the gas rations.

There won't be a need for gas rations. It will self-ration by virtue of economics. If you can afford it, you can have it. If not, walk, bike, plug in, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada