U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:42 AM

3 posts, read 12,141 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are presently living in Edmonton but deciding to move Ontario. Main reason for the move is the Cold weather. Our daughter can't handle the cold winter of Alberta and tends to get very sick every winter. So what I want to know if any of you fine folks will be able to provide some information about the mentioned cities. Like cost of living, economy, housing and job market.

I am a computer consultant with more than 10 years of experience, and presently doing M.B.A in project management. My wife is studying Early Childhood, will not be able to complete her education prior to her move. So she has continue her Education in one the cities and hopefully after the complete she should be able to find job in her field.

So please folks help us make a right decision, as this will be our fourth move.

Thanks

Sarosh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:19 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,421,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saroshrabia View Post
Hi,
We are presently living in Edmonton but deciding to move Ontario. Main reason for the move is the Cold weather. Our daughter can't handle the cold winter of Alberta and tends to get very sick every winter. So what I want to know if any of you fine folks will be able to provide some information about the mentioned cities. Like cost of living, economy, housing and job market.

I am a computer consultant with more than 10 years of experience, and presently doing M.B.A in project management. My wife is studying Early Childhood, will not be able to complete her education prior to her move. So she has continue her Education in one the cities and hopefully after the complete she should be able to find job in her field.

So please folks help us make a right decision, as this will be our fourth move.

Thanks

Sarosh

Windsor has a slightly milder climate than the other 2, but I wouldn't call it a significant difference. You're probably best to choose the location where you can find a job.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,561,521 times
I'd choose Hamilton. It's a great city and very affordable too. If it were me I would consider even more down the road towards Niagara. St. Catherines is a very nice place to live and so is Niagara falls. A house just a few doors from me in NF just sold in one day. Compleltey updated backsplit backing on a forest in a very nice neighbourhood for $225K. There are a lot of advantages to living in Niagara. It's a little warmer than the GTA. It's not too far from Toronto if you ever have the need for big city things. It's 10 minutes from my house to shopping in the USA. Niagara is a full service region with all the amenities. It's geographically beautiful with the lake, the escartment, the Niagara river and just a lot of natural beauty. The one thing it has over Hamilton is that there is very little run down bad neighbourhoods like ther is in Hamilton. Don't get me wrong though I have put in offers on houses in Hamilton in the past but they just never panned out. I love a lot of the areas at the bottom of the mountain near the downtown.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 AM

I just read St. Catharines, has 9% unemployment rate and average household income is only 26K. Is that true?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:51 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Is it really worth it to move to southern Ontario from Edmonton mainly for the weather?

The average temperature in January in Edmonton is around -10, whereas in the cities mentioned it is between -5 and -7. That does not seem to be a big difference, especially when one considers that southern Ontario is probably more humid than central Alberta is.

Probably the only place in Canada where you could find a significant difference in climate would be if you moved to southwestern BC around Vancouver and Victoria.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,561,521 times
As Winston Churchill once said,"There's lies, damn lies and then there's statistics. These numbers don't really mean a lot. First of all there are thousands of students in the city that will skew the results. I really doubt the average household income figure.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:54 AM

3,858 posts, read 6,129,318 times
Southern Ontario is not warm in winter. I doubt that moving there would improve your daughter's condition. What about southern BC?

Of those three, in order, I'd pick Hamilton, London, then Windsor as best for job opportunities.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:29 PM

398 posts, read 582,686 times
I would imagine the winters are shorter in southern Ontario than in Alberta.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Winters are definatly longer in Edmonton, and average temp in Edmonton is -15 to -20 (not including the windchill). Like today its -4 right now but last week it was -20 to -24. I thought about moving to BC but figures it will be nearly imposible for me to purchase a house there and also in Ontraio we do have some family. Oh also it is an NDP state. HAHA just kidding.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:08 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saroshrabia View Post
Winters are definatly longer in Edmonton, and average temp in Edmonton is -15 to -20 (not including the windchill). Like today its -4 right now but last week it was -20 to -24. .
The average daytime high in Edmonton in the coldest month (January) is -7. The average low is -16. This is the average over the past 30 or 40 years.

One cannot single out one or two weeks during a winter, or isolate a particular winter, and say that this is typical. It doesn't work that way. Some winters are colder or milder than others. This is true in Edmonton and in southern Ontario as well.

So while I will agree that winters are slightly milder than Edmonton in southern Ontario, once again the difference is not significant. At least not significant enough that it warrants moving from Edmonton to Windsor "to warm up".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or