U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2012, 02:52 PM
 
6,815 posts, read 2,244,396 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't understand your kind of logic.

What makes you think you would be financially better off to return to Canada if the USA had a financial collapse? Do you think that a financial collapse in USA would not cause dire financial repercussions to Canada as well?

Wouldn't you rather be poor in a place where you were at least happy with the people and the politics (non-progressive right leaning USA) than to be poor in a place where you would have no real friends and be utterly desolate and miserable with the people and politics (progressive left leaning Canada)?

I say that because I've read your other posts on the board and I think with your grim outlook that you would be in despair and would passionately hate living in Canada even if you were indescribably wealthy and could buy friends with money.

.
Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark.

 
Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Mississippi Delta!
469 posts, read 133,492 times
Reputation: 268
Perhaps the OP could have joined the Freedomites:

Freedomites - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CKB
 
Old 04-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Status: "enjoying Indian Summer now" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: British Columbia, Canada
1,750 posts, read 1,703,255 times
Reputation: 1912
My old dad told me about the Doukhobor Freedomites (only they don't call themselves that anymore). He said they produced truly excellent jam in their factories and he praised it as the best he'd ever had.

The Doukhobor Jam Factory in Nelson, British Columbia
Brilliant Jam Factory was Thriving Industry

.
 
Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 PM
 
585 posts, read 422,260 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenRyan View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Canada from Kentucky, USA. I want to live somewhere where there are more progressive values. Is this true of Canada, if so which parts? Are unions stronger and more abundant in Canada? Does Canada have an area that is like California (counter-cultural, hip and permissive?)

Has anyone out there lived in the Mid-west and Canada? I like the weater in the Mid-West and would not want to live in an area that is very cold. What are the best areas to live for singles? What are some popular activist groups in Canada? I am an activist and am always interested in that sort of thing.
It will be cold in the winter. But not brutal if you stay in the south. Get a down parka, some good gloves and you'll be fine.

As an American I understand where you're coming from, where it seems a lot of the other Canadians here "answering" your post aren't being too helpful, questioning your motives and values and all that.

What would in America be "counter culture" is everyday politics in Canada. For example, they have real substantive discussions and policies regarding the environment. It's an important issue in Canada. In the US, anyone who advocates for the environment is considered a Socialist leftie freak.

In Canada they have a deficit problem and they make real and effective decisions to bring it down in some sort of fair and equitable manner. In the US we just live in pure insanity, our bought-and-paid for leaders pretending that giving more and more money to rich people, and guns and church to the rest of us, will solve all our problems. You're wanting to move out of Kentucky, so I have a feeling you get my drift. Kentucky Senator and minority leader Mitch McConnell is downright scum and should be skinned and burned for his dereliction of duty to the average American.

But don't expect many Canadians to "get it". They live in a sensible wonderland of bliss compared to Americans. But they don't know it. But don't blame them: how could they? They haven't had to deal with what's going on in the US right now.

You'll be happy anywhere in Canada because things will all of a sudden make sense again. Just get a good coat.
 
Old 04-07-2012, 10:05 AM
 
5 posts, read 4,790 times
Reputation: 21
Hey Hippie move to BC.All the Liberals (Amazingly the call themselves progressive.I guess they are ashamed of their liberal ideas also).Midwest is mostly full of us Rednecks.
 
Old 04-07-2012, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
348 posts, read 329,183 times
Reputation: 297
Crazy question I know, but what does the OP do for a living?
 
Old 04-08-2012, 12:28 AM
 
19 posts, read 23,825 times
Reputation: 60
I have lived in ON, Canada for the last decade, though I am from the deep south originally (new orleans). Living here has had its ups and downs, but I think I prefer the US where I was raised.

As far as politics go, the post that said canadian conservatives are more left than US liberals is pure bull. Harper (Canada's PM) is RIGHT of Obama. Not as politically right as say, Palin, but he would not be welcomed in the Democrat Party of the US with some of his conservative stances. I like him very much, moreso than I did Bush (I'm a US conservative and I didn't think Bush was all that conservative).

The taxes and unemployment here in Ontario are sky-high. Beer, gasoline, groceries are all much higher than in the US. Weather is lousy 8 months out of the year, and they don't seem to know what a Mexican restaurant is.

I am eventually moving back south, but Canada did offer some nice people & experiences here, but ultimately not my cup of tea. Oh yeah..and they are slightly "British" here, as in they love British humor. Er, I mean humour.

One of the reasons I am moving is to own firearms. Canadians are not only hostile to business in general (sky high taxes), but gun ownership as well. Getting caught with a handgun is like getting caught with cocaine. I suppose it is similar in states like Massachusetts and California to some extent. But the 2nd amendment is too important to me to just throw away.
 
Old 04-08-2012, 01:07 AM
 
Location: Canada
3,040 posts, read 2,512,423 times
Reputation: 4875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothesayer9 View Post
I have lived in ON, Canada for the last decade, though I am from the deep south originally (new orleans). Living here has had its ups and downs, but I think I prefer the US where I was raised.

As far as politics go, the post that said canadian conservatives are more left than US liberals is pure bull. Harper (Canada's PM) is RIGHT of Obama. Not as politically right as say, Palin, but he would not be welcomed in the Democrat Party of the US with some of his conservative stances. I like him very much, moreso than I did Bush (I'm a US conservative and I didn't think Bush was all that conservative).

The taxes and unemployment here in Ontario are sky-high. Beer, gasoline, groceries are all much higher than in the US. Weather is lousy 8 months out of the year, and they don't seem to know what a Mexican restaurant is.

I am eventually moving back south, but Canada did offer some nice people & experiences here, but ultimately not my cup of tea. Oh yeah..and they are slightly "British" here, as in they love British humor. Er, I mean humour.

One of the reasons I am moving is to own firearms. Canadians are not only hostile to business in general (sky high taxes), but gun ownership as well. Getting caught with a handgun is like getting caught with cocaine. I suppose it is similar in states like Massachusetts and California to some extent. But the 2nd amendment is too important to me to just throw away.
In my experience (which is subjective), living in rural Canada and therefore surrounded by conservatives (small 'c'), I don't think Canadian small 'c' conservatives are overall more to the right of US conservatives.

I don't know of any self-identified conservative in favour of the loose guns laws in the US, or not in favour of universal health care, something that in the US at least is often identified as a 'liberal' value but I agree with you that Harper is definitely to the right of Obama. Leadership of parties is not as personality dependent as in the US so I think Harper has to rein in some of his more despotic right-wing tendencies, just as I think Obama has to rein in some of his natural liberal tendencies given the political climate in the US at this time.

Last edited by netwit; 04-08-2012 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: typo
 
Old 04-08-2012, 11:39 AM
 
585 posts, read 422,260 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothesayer9 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
our bought-and-paid for leaders pretending that giving more and more money to rich people, and guns and church to the rest of us, will solve all our problems.
Gee you wouldn't be a liberal would you?

You'd fit like a glove in Canada.
Indeed, that's the idea. America is insane now.

I'll assume from your attack that you're in favor of giving all the money to rich people and guns and church for the rest of us. Thanks for that; your right to vote provides a perfect Exhibit A of why to get the hell out of the US.

No wonder you're moving back; Canada must have been hell for you. And I'd bet precious few Canucks will be sad to see you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothesayer9 View Post

Gee you wouldn't be a liberal would you?
No, I'd never in a million years call myself a liberal. I'm very conservative on some issues and liberal on others. Like many sensible people, believe it or not.
 
Old 04-08-2012, 11:58 AM
 
585 posts, read 422,260 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
In my experience (which is subjective), living in rural Canada and therefore surrounded by conservatives (small 'c'), I don't think Canadian small 'c' conservatives are overall more to the right of US conservatives.

I don't know of any self-identified conservative in favour of the loose guns laws in the US, or not in favour of universal health care, something that in the US at least is often identified as a 'liberal' value but I agree with you that Harper is definitely to the right of Obama. Leadership of parties is not as personality dependent as in the US so I think Harper has to rein in some of his more despotic right-wing tendencies, just as I think Obama has to rein in some of his natural liberal tendencies given the political climate in the US at this time.
Exactly.

The crux of the issue is that Canadians (and the entire civilized world) realize that you need at least some sensible government to make society run. There are fights at the margin about how much and what it should do and not do of course, and that's all healthy. But everyone knows there needs to be a substantial government around to hold things together and make sure everyone plays fair.

But Conservatives in the US want to "drown goverment in the bathtub" (See Norquist, Grover, owner of right wing of the US Congress). They're unable to distinguish between good government and bad, let alone have sensible discussion about where the line is.

Last edited by qwerbilzak; 04-08-2012 at 12:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:55 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top