Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:37 PM
atj atj started this thread

8 posts, read 11,329 times

Advertisements

Hello,
we're considering relocating to New Brunswick from No. Calif.
It is just too crowded, noisy and expensive for us here, and we want to retire in a quiet, small town.

I've been looking a homes online in different towns in New Brunswick, and it's so hard to tell what they are like.

We'd like to find a small, quiet town, with some charm and/or historic interest.

We are looking for the "4 seasons", and would like snow.
The only weather I don't particularly care for is TOO much gloom and overcast and rain.

The 3 main issues seem to be, 1) Not too much gloom & rain - 2) Noise, highway, trains, planes, off road vehicles, etc..., 3) hunting.

We are not into hunting, and I am worried that this may be a very big activity in NB - I know it was when I looked into Harvey.

I don't mind the french speaking areas, as I speak french.

Work is not an issue, my husband works from a home office - but would need hi speed internet.

When it snows in NB, is it usually gloomy and overcast - or does sun ever peek through?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
atj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 12:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
One of the surrounding towns of Fredericton might suit your needs. Also dont exclude Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia in your search for tranquility.
Heres a site you may want to become familiar with..
Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Old 06-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Hi Jambo and thanks...
I actually am going to look into Nova Scotia and P.E. Island - although I don't know if hunting is a "big thing" there also?

I was told by a New Brunswick realtor on the phone yesterday, that hunting can not be avoided in Canada - (except probably in the cities).

However, a realtor in St. Andrews emailed me and said that although this is true in the rural areas of NB, that St. Andrews is considered a "tree hugging" town - which I consider to be great.

Since Harvey was close to Fredericton wasn't far from Harvey, and Harvey had a lot of hunting, I'm reluctant to pursue areas near Fredericton.

I will look into St. Andrews, to see if it's a small town and one to consider.

But will appreciate any feedback about NB, Nova Scotia and P.E. Island -small towns/villages - where hopefully, hunting isn't a big activity.

Thanks so much,
atj

Old 06-21-2011, 02:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I doubt you would have any problems with hunters within a towns jurisdiction as there isnt really anything to hunt in town and usually hunters are relegated to remote designated areas away from any significant population areas.
I've been camping in NB (Mt Carleton area)for many years and i've yet to run into a hunter or even hear hunters.
I'm curious as to whats up with your aversion to hunters? As they are usually quite safe and professional about their past time and for the most part dont come into town to hunt the citizens.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:21 PM

Jambo,
I'd RATHER they come into town and hunt the citizens...
At least the citizens-humans, would have a fighting chance.
We could obtain firearms and defend ourselves, if need be.

Animals don't stand much of a chance against high powered rifles and all the latest gadgetry.

I cannot, and will never understand the desire to kill an innocent creature.
I don't go for argument, "that I eat what I kill."
Men, and some women, get some kind of thrill out of stalking a beautiful animal, killing it, and displaying it's head or hide in their homes.

To me, that is sick behavior - way too much testosterone in this world, and I strongly feel that it is the reason behind most of the wars of this earth.

There is plenty of meat at the grocery store, it's not like the frontier days when one had no other alternative.

Yes, I am forced to eat some poultry and fish at the moment - as I am ill and am too sick to figure out at the moment, how to get the nutrition I need from complete vegetarianism.
I have been a vegetarian in the past, as I love animals so much.
When I get well and have the stamina, I'm going to stop eating it.

We have a pretty good sized deer population in the development that I live in.
Last year, a bunch of old farts started complaining that "their roses were being eaten," and tried to surreptitiously pass a proposal to have some bow hunters come into the development and cut down the deer population.

Luckily, word leaked out, and the majority freaked out, the media was called in, and I was one of the people very active in stopping that action.

I had had $900.00 worth of roses eaten - I just re planted with deer resistant plants - it didn't make me want to initiate a massacre..
After all the deer were here first..

No, the towns I've researched so far have told me that approx. 1 in 4 residents will be hunters.
That, "they are polite, and some are bankers, lawyers, and so on," - like that makes it better somehow..

I don't care if it's God - if they are destroying a lovely, innocent creature, I don't want to be within many, many miles of them.
I couldn't handle moving to a "nice" little village, and seeing men wearing camouflage - how macho - and looking out my window as a deer strapped to a vehicle drives by.
Not my idea of pleasant places to live.

An animal is not always killed immediately.
Some are maimed and suffer, that's "sport??"

I'm a peace loving person, but I'm sick of men's macho drive, it's behind so much terror in the world.
I'm actually glad when I hear about a hunter shooting another hunter by mistake - how does it feel ??

I'm not a man hater, I'm married to a strong, loving man, and I've met so many others in my life - the idea of hunting sickens them also.

So that's my diatribe on hunters..
atj

Old 06-21-2011, 06:02 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atj View Post
Jambo,
I'd RATHER they come into town and hunt the citizens...
At least the citizens-humans, would have a fighting chance.
We could obtain firearms and defend ourselves, if need be.

Animals don't stand much of a chance against high powered rifles and all the latest gadgetry.

I cannot, and will never understand the desire to kill an innocent creature.
I don't go for argument, "that I eat what I kill."
Men, and some women, get some kind of thrill out of stalking a beautiful animal, killing it, and displaying it's head or hide in their homes.

To me, that is sick behavior - way too much testosterone in this world, and I strongly feel that it is the reason behind most of the wars of this earth.

There is plenty of meat at the grocery store, it's not like the frontier days when one had no other alternative.

Yes, I am forced to eat some poultry and fish at the moment - as I am ill and am too sick to figure out at the moment, how to get the nutrition I need from complete vegetarianism.
I have been a vegetarian in the past, as I love animals so much.
When I get well and have the stamina, I'm going to stop eating it.

We have a pretty good sized deer population in the development that I live in.
Last year, a bunch of old farts started complaining that "their roses were being eaten," and tried to surreptitiously pass a proposal to have some bow hunters come into the development and cut down the deer population.

Luckily, word leaked out, and the majority freaked out, the media was called in, and I was one of the people very active in stopping that action.

I had had $900.00 worth of roses eaten - I just re planted with deer resistant plants - it didn't make me want to initiate a massacre..
After all the deer were here first..

No, the towns I've researched so far have told me that approx. 1 in 4 residents will be hunters.
That, "they are polite, and some are bankers, lawyers, and so on," - like that makes it better somehow..

I don't care if it's God - if they are destroying a lovely, innocent creature, I don't want to be within many, many miles of them.
I couldn't handle moving to a "nice" little village, and seeing men wearing camouflage - how macho - and looking out my window as a deer strapped to a vehicle drives by.
Not my idea of pleasant places to live.

An animal is not always killed immediately.
Some are maimed and suffer, that's "sport??"

I'm a peace loving person, but I'm sick of men's macho drive, it's behind so much terror in the world.
I'm actually glad when I hear about a hunter shooting another hunter by mistake - how does it feel ??

I'm not a man hater, I'm married to a strong, loving man, and I've met so many others in my life - the idea of hunting sickens them also.

So that's my diatribe on hunters..
atj
You should not move to New Brunswick. It is not your kind of province.

Look into hippie towns in coastal BC (no snow, though) or quaint country towns no more than a two hour drive or so from Toronto. In such places, you are far more likely to run into/live amongst kindred spirits.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:55 PM

Well,
I haven't been a "hippie" since the 70's...
And I'm working with a realtor I like Re: St. Andrews, which is not a hippie town, but a fairly upscale resort community, which has a small population, historic homes and other points of interest - which are all things we're looking for.

The world famous Fairmont Algonquin Resort, and The Algonquin Golf course designed by award winning architect Thomas McBroom are also there - which will be nice for my husband, as he is a golfer.
There is no hunting there.

I don't know if it will be the place I end up choosing in the end, but it has shown me that nice, small towns do exist in NB - without hunting.
I'll just steer clear of the rural areas.

Thank you though, for your suggestions.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:20 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,348 times
Quote:
Well,
I haven't been a "hippie" since the 70's...
In New Brunswick, you'd be a screaming hippie. I'm just giving you fair warning.

Quote:
And I'm working with a realtor I like Re: St. Andrews, which is not a hippie town, but a fairly upscale resort community, which has a small population, historic homes and other points of interest - which are all things we're looking for.

The world famous Fairmont Algonquin Resort, and The Algonquin Golf course designed by award winning architect Thomas McBroom are also there - which will be nice for my husband, as he is a golfer.
There is no hunting there.

I don't know if it will be the place I end up choosing in the end, but it has shown me that nice, small towns do exist in NB - without hunting.
I'll just steer clear of the rural areas.

Thank you though, for your suggestions.
I lived in New Brunswick for three years. I regret to inform you that it's highly unlikely to suit your needs. Please don't shoot the messenger. Again, I'm just giving you fair warning.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:36 PM

86 posts, read 171,768 times
ATJ: do you have enough points to migrate to Canada?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:03 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
You should not move to New Brunswick. It is not your kind of province.

Look into hippie towns in coastal BC (no snow, though) or quaint country towns no more than a two hour drive or so from Toronto. In such places, you are far more likely to run into/live amongst kindred spirits.

Given the OP's aversion to hunting and those who participate, the above is about the best advice in the thread.

I would add, however, that you will not find hunting-free zones in those quaint country towns 2 hours from Toronto.

Frankly, Canada as a whole tends to be a country where many people place a value on outdoor activities; hunting and fishing are very popular regardless of where you go.

If hunting is an issue, then stick to larger towns where it isn't permitted.......but conflicts with your desire to out in the country.

The long and short of it is that "country" people tend to engage in "country" type activities.........and probably won't feel to kindly to a newcomer suddenly explaining how their heritage is wrong.

The OP certainly has their work cut out finding their ideal place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada