U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-24-2011, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley
4,063 posts, read 9,131,410 times
Reputation: 3441

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info on the situation regarding agent orange sprayed by Ontario Hydro?

I grew up living on a hydro field and played in it daily, we walked back and forth to school through it and even ate the wild strawberries growing there. It was virtually our playground and now I find out that Ontario Hydro sprayed agent orange there....yikes!!!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2011, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Niagara Falls ON.
10,024 posts, read 10,585,797 times
Reputation: 8913
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Does anyone have any info on the situation regarding agent orange sprayed by Ontario Hydro?

I grew up living on a hydro field and played in it daily, we walked back and forth to school through it and even ate the wild strawberries growing there. It was virtually our playground and now I find out that Ontario Hydro sprayed agent orange there....yikes!!!
Are you sure they sprayed it there? They usually only sprayed line cuts where the trees were incroaching.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley
4,063 posts, read 9,131,410 times
Reputation: 3441
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Are you sure they sprayed it there? They usually only sprayed line cuts where the trees were incroaching.
I will have to check it out for sure, it's unbelievable to me that they would do this anywhere.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Niagara Falls ON.
10,024 posts, read 10,585,797 times
Reputation: 8913
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I will have to check it out for sure, it's unbelievable to me that they would do this anywhere.
Well, back in the day they really didn't understand the degree of danger these chemicals presented to people and the environment.

Every friday night when we got to our cottage up north there were a few flies that had gotten in during the week. WE actuall liberally sprayed DDT all over the cottage. It was amazing how that stuff killed the bugs!!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 PM
 
4,285 posts, read 14,435,977 times
Reputation: 3867
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Does anyone have any info on the situation regarding agent orange sprayed by Ontario Hydro?

I grew up living on a hydro field and played in it daily, we walked back and forth to school through it and even ate the wild strawberries growing there. It was virtually our playground and now I find out that Ontario Hydro sprayed agent orange there....yikes!!!
We're talking 40- 50 years ago, adventuregirl.

At the time, Agent Orange and other herbicides were regarded as safe for use. People did all sorts of other foolish things like smoking in every building, driving without seatbelts, etc. simply due to ignorance of the consequences.

Agent Orange was actually a mix of 2 herbicides, 2,4,D and 2,4,5,T. The second herbicide had some productions issued which could make it a high risk carcinogen.

2,4,D is still in widespread use today as a broadleaf weed killer and 2,4,5,T manufactured under more controlled conditions was being used well into the 1980's.

As far as your hydro field goes, it's highly unlikely to have seen Agent Orange because the chemical mix was a non-selective defoliant used to eliminate vegetation. If it had been used on your field, there wouldn't have been any grass or other plant life remaining........especially those wild strawberries you remember.

Personally, I'd be a lot more concerned about the effects of things like RoundUp Ready crops in today's food chain than possible exposure to stuff from 45 years ago.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley
4,063 posts, read 9,131,410 times
Reputation: 3441
Thanks for the perspective Corner Guy, we did have a number of neighbours get lukemia etc. from living on the hydro lines and my sister and I have had some health challenges so my mom suggested maybe it was related to the agent orange.

I am aware of the issues with our food supply/crops .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
We're talking 40- 50 years ago, adventuregirl.

At the time, Agent Orange and other herbicides were regarded as safe for use. People did all sorts of other foolish things like smoking in every building, driving without seatbelts, etc. simply due to ignorance of the consequences.

Agent Orange was actually a mix of 2 herbicides, 2,4,D and 2,4,5,T. The second herbicide had some productions issued which could make it a high risk carcinogen.

2,4,D is still in widespread use today as a broadleaf weed killer and 2,4,5,T manufactured under more controlled conditions was being used well into the 1980's.

As far as your hydro field goes, it's highly unlikely to have seen Agent Orange because the chemical mix was a non-selective defoliant used to eliminate vegetation. If it had been used on your field, there wouldn't have been any grass or other plant life remaining........especially those wild strawberries you remember.

Personally, I'd be a lot more concerned about the effects of things like RoundUp Ready crops in today's food chain than possible exposure to stuff from 45 years ago.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2011, 02:23 PM
 
Location: North of the border!
662 posts, read 1,079,763 times
Reputation: 1297
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well, back in the day they really didn't understand the degree of danger these chemicals presented to people and the environment.

Every friday night when we got to our cottage up north there were a few flies that had gotten in during the week. WE actuall liberally sprayed DDT all over the cottage. It was amazing how that stuff killed the bugs!!!!

[SIZE=2]"During the war in Eur[/SIZE][SIZE=2]ope, in 1944, we went to sleep every night while being fed upon by bedbugs and fleas, and there was no way to escape them. We had heard about “cooties” (body lice) causing typhus, which killed more than 3 million people in Europe and vicinity during and after World War I.[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]One day, I was ordered to dust every soldier in our company with an insecticidal powder that had just been received. For two weeks I dusted the insecticide on soldiers and civilians, breathing the fog of white dust for several hours each day. The body lice were killed, and the DDT persisted long enough to kill young lice when they emerged from the eggs.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Fortunately, no human beings have ever been harmed by DDT.[/SIZE]"

Mosquitoes, DDT, and Human Health
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top