Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,526 times

Advertisements

hi,i am from the caribbean. I am planning to get married to a canadian citizen how long u think it might take to get my citizenship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 12:47 PM

22 posts, read 87,345 times
@jorose: Please read Cornerguy1's reply in this thread.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:06 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,715,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorose View Post
hi,i am from the caribbean. I am planning to get married to a canadian citizen how long u think it might take to get my citizenship?
As stated previously, it will be at least 12 months after filing your application to attain Permanent Resident's status and could be 24 months or longer.

You are not eligible to apply for citizenship until 3 years after the date you are granted Permanent Resident's status.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,417 times
I am a Canadian citizen and my boyfriend is US Citizen. Can you advise what is the appropriate way how to marry in Canada. What the requirements. the process and how long before we can marry. Thanks...

Old 08-18-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkataha View Post
I am a Canadian citizen and my boyfriend is US Citizen. Can you advise what is the appropriate way how to marry in Canada. What the requirements. the process and how long before we can marry. Thanks...

You can marry anytime you like, assuming it's a first marriage for your boyfriend.

If your boyfriend has been previously married and is now divorced, you may have to show that the divorce is acceptable in Canada.

Marrying is one thing -- your boyfriend staying in Canada is another issue all together.

If he`s a US citizen, you have two options with regard to pursuing a spousal application for Permanent Resident`s status.

He can return to the US and stay there until his PR application is approved.

He could stay in Canada as a visitor while waiting for his application to be processed.

The cautions with the last avenue are that he will not be able to work and may not be eligible for provincial health coverage. There is also the risk that his application may be rejected and he wil be required to leave the country.

For all the details, see Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Old 10-03-2010, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,321 times
hi All ,
I'm a married man with 5 kids all of us became citizens earily this year , I ever had a girl friend many years ago... lately i found out that my girl friend gave birth for a daughter her old now 6 years .. DNA proved that she is my daughter ..... my question is ... can I apply for my daughter a citizenship , youir response is highly appreciated.

Sam

Old 10-03-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samamri View Post
hi All ,
I'm a married man with 5 kids all of us became citizens earily this year , I ever had a girl friend many years ago... lately i found out that my girl friend gave birth for a daughter her old now 6 years .. DNA proved that she is my daughter ..... my question is ... can I apply for my daughter a citizenship , youir response is highly appreciated.

Sam

Go to the Contact Us section of this web site Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Use the toll-free telephone number to speak with an immigration agent in person.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,216 times
Default hello

well hello im a panamenian citizen (from panama) and i been dating my girl for almost a year and she was born in canada so she is a canadian citizen... but my concern is we r both illegaly inside U.S.>>> and we wanna get marry and move to canada as soon as we can... if i marry her would i have the possibilities of becoming a canadian permanent resident or something?// please answer as soon as u can...

Old 05-02-2011, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,038 times
my girlfriend live in canada and want me to come and live with her what does it take

Old 05-02-2011, 12:31 PM

398 posts, read 729,398 times
domingo197, ideally you would hire an immigration attorney (not a consultant, but an actual lawyer) to make sure you are doing everything properly and no surprises come up.

I don't know how to spousal sponsorship process works for Canadian citizens, but you want to make sure the U.S. government does not catch wind of your current overstay status in the U.S. Otherwise, you could be subject to a 3 year bar from entering the U.S. if you have been unlawfully present for 180 days and a 10 year bar if over one year. It is difficult for U.S. authorities to establish unlawful presence for a Canadian because they are not issued an I-94 travel document when they enter the U.S. by a land border from Canada. They would not even bother to do so. But for a Panamanian who flew in and received an I-94, it would be easy for them to establish such. I have heard of some people driving or flying to a border town, walking across to Mexico, and flying back from Tijuana or Juarez airports to minimize any risk. Again, this is a complex area of law and if you have the money I would recommend hiring an immigration lawyer with knowledge and experience in both U.S. and Canadian immigration so you can make sure you don't jeopardize your ability to stay in Canada and visit the U.S. in the future. As for the Canadian paperwork, there is no reason you can't get that started but I would be wary of getting married in the U.S. if I am an overstay because the marriage license will be proof that you overstayed. If you don't care about ability to visit the U.S. in the future, then don't worry about it. Get married and have her apply for you.

This is not legal advice, and I am not a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada