U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:28 PM

4 posts, read 61,030 times

Advertisements

hi everybody ,i have a student visa,but i am not taking any classes for this september fall semester.me and my girlfriend are planning to get married soon.so i guess i will be staying illegally in canada since i am not able to take any classes or register for classes for this fall semester.my question is if i marry to my girlfriend in canada,will the immagration has the possibilties to deport me while i stay here illegally? ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 07:05 AM

85 posts, read 584,041 times
Don't worry, if you marry your girlfriend they can't deport you because if you marry a Canadian citizen you become one.
Good Luck.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:34 AM

4,285 posts, read 14,033,911 times
Quote:
Don't worry, if you marry your girlfriend they can't deport you because if you marry a Canadian citizen you become one.
Good Luck.
Absolutely dead wrong. Marrying a Canadian citizen does not result in citizenship.

If you marry a Canadian citizen in Canada, you have the option of applying for Permanent Resident's status from within Canada. You must maintain a legal status in Canada while your application for PR status is considered. That means you'll need to to have a valid student visa, visitor visa, etc. If you allow your visa to lapse, your PR status application will be rejected.

Please see the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site for details:

Welcome Page | Page d'acceuil

Old 08-01-2007, 03:24 AM

4 posts, read 61,030 times
i do have a visa ,my question is a bit different ty anyways

Old 08-05-2007, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 28,669 times
Default study in canada

hi everyone
could anyone tell me how much master of computer or information system cost in Canada. or diploma in information technology, and what are cities that have lower cost of living, please.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:16 AM

1 posts, read 28,366 times
Hey guys, how you all doing? I am in this situation that i dont even know wat to do. I have been studying in Canada for 6 years and my girlfriend is pregnant now and she wants to have the baby which is cool with me. Since there is a baby now, do any of you know that having a baby would make the things easier to become a canadian citizinship? i really need help/
thanks

Old 10-17-2008, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 26,709 times
Default Help in canada

I am a canadian permanent resident for 9 years now, when my father applied for citizenship i was turning 18 my application was denied as i have to now file as an adult........

My question is i am now engaged to my longtime sweetheart with whom we've known each other as childhood friends in our home country of trinidad at around 14 i came to canada to live with my dad due to my moms passing, and my fiance moved to florida for a better life with her dad so we lost contact about 8 years, she moved on had a son, i never thought i would see her again i had a daughter as well........

We are now engaged and have been for a year..... We see each other every month or 2 months at the most its hard i am in the process of filing my citizenship and she as well. She wants to move to canada would it be better to get our papers in first seperately get married then file for her to come to canada or get married with our current status and then apply for her pr, also how long would the process take, and since she is currently a green card holder would she lose her us status if she was to apply for canadian residence????her son is a us citizen so she wants to keep her us status, and apply for us citizenship.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

thanking you in advance.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:09 AM

1 posts, read 23,409 times
Hi I need your help guys I live in the US and am out of status right now. i have a girlfriend from canada and we are getting married in US so can she file for in in canada while we got married in the US and how long will it take me to get approved and move to canada please i need help. whoever has gone through this please help me. by the way my girlfriend is from africa but she a canadian citizen by now. and do i have to use lawyers help with your advice.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:31 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,033,911 times
Using a lawyer doesn't make things go any quicker, so if you can fill out forms by yourself you may as well save some money.

It sounds like you have 2 problems.

First, you live in the US, but may have to leave because you won't have legal status.

Second, you want to know how quickly Permanent Resident applications are processed.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada has an estimated processin g tme on their web site: Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

If all your forms are correctly filed and there are no problems with your application or supporting documentation, you can count on the wait being anywhere from 12-24 months.

Please keep in mind that if you are found in Canada illegally while you have a PR application pending, the application will likely be rejected and you may not be permitted to apply again.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:23 PM

9,326 posts, read 18,804,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Good Luck.
Huh? In another thread you are asking about immigrating to Canada; in this one you are providing (erroneous) advise.

You best need to contact Canada Immigration about your situation or an immigration attorney; cornerguy also provides astute advise. If you intend to migrate to Canada in the near future, best not to do it with a big blemish (illegal) on your record as it may impact your chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or