U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-11-2011, 08:37 PM

14 posts, read 41,766 times
Default Best Affordable Cities to Live In Ontario

I am thinking of relocating to Ontario. Is there any other city in Ontario that has a similar feel as that of Toronto in terms of lots of job opportunities, affordable housing/ rents, multi cultural etc. I read an article that Ottawa is the best place to live but I hear you need to be bilingual-which I am not and Toronto is very expensive in terms of rents/housing. So I am curious to know if anyone has any suggestions as any affordable city in Ontario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Status: "It snowed yesterday!!! Unbelievable" (set 1 day ago)

8,361 posts, read 3,678,637 times
St. Catherines, Niagara Falls, Kingston, Hamilton, London, Windsor, Kitchener Waterloo Cambridge.

All of these cities are good places to live. All of them have different things going for them. All of them are far less expensive than The Greater Toronto Area, {GTA}.
Personally I like the Niagara region the best.

Unread 04-11-2011, 09:17 PM

398 posts, read 122,167 times
Toronto has way more diversity than any other Ontario city. Over 50% of the population was born outside Canada. There are restaurants and markets from just about any country around the world. As an example, you will not find an Iranian store in Hamilton or St. Catharines (although Kingston has one, and London has an Iranian restaurant!). Also because there is so much competition there are better restaurants in Toronto. Toronto also has far more job opportunities. Just go on the online job search sites and look in just about any industry and you will see more job listings in Toronto and surrounding cities like Mississauga. That is why Toronto housing is more expensive. Your choice really depends on what you do for a living.... you have to go where the jobs are. If you can make the same amount in St. Catharines as you would in Toronto, then you will come out ahead... the houses are 1/3 to 1/2 the cost...

Unread 04-12-2011, 07:44 AM

155 posts, read 230,394 times
Ottawa and Hamilton are the only other fairly large cities in Ontario, and they're certainly not as big as Toronto. I'm a fan of Hamilton. I think Hamilton could be a good compromise if you can find work there. It sounds like housing is pretty affordable, and while I wouldn't suggest commuting to work, it's pretty easy to get to Toronto on week-ends.

Unread 04-12-2011, 09:03 AM

8,413 posts, read 8,463,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria12345 View Post
I read an article that Ottawa is the best place to live but I hear you need to be bilingual-.
You don't need to be bilingual in Ottawa. It is more important for federal government jobs (as a really-good-to-have) but even in the federal government there are jobs for people who speak only English. Plus, French is not a requirement for most of the private sector jobs in Ottawa. There it is generally a nice-to-have only.

Unread 04-13-2011, 10:20 AM

14 posts, read 41,766 times
This message is for Acajack:

I did a search for jobs in the Ottawa region and quite a few jobs ( ranging from engineering to administrative jobs) indicate that they want bilingual - even for private sector jobs. So i do not understand why you say that you do not need to be bilingual when it clearly states in the job description that they want bilingual. Do you actually live in the Ottawa region?

Unread 04-13-2011, 12:15 PM

8,413 posts, read 8,463,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria12345 View Post
This message is for Acajack:

I did a search for jobs in the Ottawa region and quite a few jobs ( ranging from engineering to administrative jobs) indicate that they want bilingual - even for private sector jobs. So i do not understand why you say that you do not need to be bilingual when it clearly states in the job description that they want bilingual. Do you actually live in the Ottawa region?
I am sitting about five minutes away from downtown Ottawa as I write this.

Do the postings say "bilingualism is essential" or "bilingualism is an asset"? This is an important difference.

In the City of Ottawa itself, about 65% of the population or more speaks only English. Most of them have jobs somewhere, which means that most jobs in Ottawa require only English...

Yes, there are far more jobs that require bilingualism in Ottawa than in any other city in Ontario. But that doesn't mean that all of them or even most of them do.

Unread 04-15-2011, 10:12 PM

485 posts, read 1,336,957 times
The price of home to average local income survey just came out Demographia & Earnings ~ Canadian Housing Price Charts and Real Estate Evaluator Blog www.chpc.biz (http://www.chpc.biz/Demographia_Earnings.htm - broken link) and Windsor tops the list at 2.1 years average income for average home...

Windsor was one of those places that have always been cheap by Canadian standards, even when it booms... No doubt due to the cross border effect...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada