U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 AM

4 posts, read 7,801 times

Advertisements

Hello to all of my fellow Canadian Cysters!!!
I was just wondering where we are all from.
I myself am from Leduc, Alberta.
What about everyone else?

Moderator cut: Advertising is not permitted --- I'm from a spam-free area

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 04-20-2011 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 09:31 AM

161 posts, read 466,276 times
I'm from Toronto (Etobicoke) but I've lived in Halifax since the late '90's.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 AM

15 posts, read 41,906 times
Hey! I live up north in Thunder Bay. Looking to hopefully join the other snow birds soon and find a place down south for our bitter winters.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:46 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,314,581 times
Quebec City, lived in Montreal before and raised in a tiny town far up north.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:21 PM

410 posts, read 463,846 times
I was born in Ottawa, and grew up as an Air Force brat. For the first 16 years of my life, we were stationed at Trenton and Centralia (now closed, about 40 km north of London, Ontario).

I attended McGill University in Montreal. After graduation, I moved to Vancouver where I joined the Reserves and obtained a civilian job; after a couple of years, I moved to Calgary where I worked other civilian jobs, chiefly in the geophysical industry, while remaining in the Reserves (weekend warrior).

I also pursued full-time contracts (Class B, they call them) as a Reservist.
This took me to the fol:

BC - Masset, Nanaimo, Vancouver, Chilliwack
Alberta - Penhold, Wainwright, Suffield, Edmonton, Cold Lake
Manitoba - Winnipeg
Ontario - Borden, Kingston (where I am now, and have been for the last eight years) with brief one-week assignments in each of Meaford, Petawawa, and Trenton.

While employed by Halliburton Geophysical, I got to experience two 3-month assignments on a seismic vessel, the first one in the Beaufort Sea, and the following year, offshore Nova Scotia (Sable Island).

Old 04-22-2011, 06:17 PM

9 posts, read 21,821 times
I am born and raised in Calgary, Alberta! But I want out, cant stand our weather.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:30 PM

410 posts, read 463,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisK View Post
I am born and raised in Calgary, Alberta! But I want out, cant stand our weather.
One thing I liked about living in Calgary was the chinooks. When I was at some of the other places in Alberta that I listed above, especially Painwright where I actually had to sleep in a tent on exercises, not to mention Winterpeg, you sure get to appreciate the Calgary chinooks.

I also miss the dry cold as opposed to the humid cold in Southern Ontario that goes through you like a knife, despite warmer average temperatures here.

I know that in Calgary you can get snow in late May and nobody bats an eyelash; on the other hand, it can be plus 12 Celsius (54 deg F) in January, and that doesn't raise eyebrows, either!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 PM

7,371 posts, read 5,864,740 times
North of Winnipeg. In the St. Andrew's area. Very pretty, close to the magnificent Red River.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:38 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,652,869 times
Spent most of my life in Southwest Saskatchewan (north west of Swift Current mostly). Lived in Lethbridge, AB the last 2 years.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:36 PM

9 posts, read 21,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingstonBob View Post
One thing I liked about living in Calgary was the chinooks. When I was at some of the other places in Alberta that I listed above, especially Painwright where I actually had to sleep in a tent on exercises, not to mention Winterpeg, you sure get to appreciate the Calgary chinooks.

I also miss the dry cold as opposed to the humid cold in Southern Ontario that goes through you like a knife, despite warmer average temperatures here.

I know that in Calgary you can get snow in late May and nobody bats an eyelash; on the other hand, it can be plus 12 Celsius (54 deg F) in January, and that doesn't raise eyebrows, either!
The chinooks certainly are nice but they loose their merit when you get 15 cm of snow in mid april when its supposed to be spring. We have also got snowed out on our last two May long weekends. I think the worst part about the calgary weather is how it teases you. During the end of winter and early spring it gets nice for a week and it gets everybody thinking about summer then you get a couple weeks of sub zero temps and snow. Then you get another week of nice weather followed by even more snow and coldness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or