U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 05:39 AM

19,453 posts, read 14,960,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
Great news. Made a little sweeter by the demise of the Bloc and Liberals. I think I got everything I wanted out of this election.

Congratulations to the NDP for their historic gains as well.
Great results!!
even the green party got a seat..
Bloc is down and probably out.Duceppe resigns
Libs are down for now but will probably win in a landslide in a few years, all thats needed is Justin Trudeau, Expect Iggy to resign this week.

Last edited by jambo101; 05-03-2011 at 05:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 05:48 AM

19,453 posts, read 14,960,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post
2 more years until I'm done my degree and I'm leaving this country. This elections just give me more incentive.
If you think its so bad in this country why not pack your bags and leave now?
Or is the cheap healthcare and education a contributing factor in your having to endure this inconvenience of living in Canada?

Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 AM

398 posts, read 152,546 times
Part of the reason I love Quebec is this attitude of not holding any long-term allegiances to any specific party. A rapid shift like what we saw last night would never occur in Ontario. Sure the CONS picked up some seats in Ontario but the majority of the Liberal seats went to NDP. It was nothing like the wholesale rejection of the Bloc. In the end Quebecers tend to be a logical bunch. The separatism issue is dead and the more pressing issue was keeping U.S.-style neoconservatism at bay.

Now let's hope Harper doesn't get Canada into more wars, building more prisons, cutting education funding, and deregulating banks. My biggest fear for the long-term is really the implication of Harper appointments to the Supreme Court.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 AM

1,731 posts, read 1,674,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
Part of the reason I love Quebec is this attitude of not holding any long-term allegiances to any specific party. A rapid shift like what we saw last night would never occur in Ontario. Sure the CONS picked up some seats in Ontario but the majority of the Liberal seats went to NDP. It was nothing like the wholesale rejection of the Bloc. In the end Quebecers tend to be a logical bunch. The separatism issue is dead and the more pressing issue was keeping U.S.-style neoconservatism at bay.
A general comment -- I'd be careful about the "separatism is dead" assessment. To Quebecers voting against the Conservatives took precedence on separatism, and it just so happened that their best option was a federalist party. Yesterday's results tell more about the order of importance than opinions.

I guess my point is (in % of seats)
Quebec: NDP 77% Liberal 9% CPC 8% Bloc 5%
Rest of Canada: CPC 69% NDP 19% Liberal 12% Green 0.4%

If you don't see the potential (key word) for a strong revival of the separatist movement in those numbers, I think you have it wrong.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 AM

662 posts, read 613,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clue View Post
Good news? Yeah. Pave ways for pro-corporate anti-people neo-con policies.

Here's some prequel:

More prisons. (Even though there's less crime, time to jail pot smokers)
More military spending.
More debt.
More privatization.
More corporate tax cuts.
More pro-oil lobbying.
Less health care.
Less social security.
Less education spending.
CPP will be up on the chopping block, it's already underfunded atm.

The 40% of the voters got what they deserved and now they'll ruin it for the 60% majority. Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot (ex. voting against your own interest, unless your own interest happens to be voting against your own interest and beating yourself up). Stupid people suck hard.
Sour grapes from I assume a bitter lieberal supporter. You forget one thing in your little list. It was the lieberals that took 25 billion out of health care under Paul Martin. Oh well I suppose it was the twisting of the truth that got the lieberals wasted.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:42 AM

748 posts, read 910,832 times
I think this is super awesome.
Most people aren't stupid, and simply want a government that will do it's job. The conservatives might be boring and bland, but they run the country.
That's all I want: Show up, do the job and let's get the f*ck on with life already.
I like the NDP, they will be the ying to the cons yang. I don't know if ol' Jack is ready to be a leader yet, he might run wild with the money, but still a good guy IMHO.
Good thing not voting that yahoo Ignattieff. Maybe he can go crawling back to Harvard and pretend he's an American again.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:56 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,181,501 times
Congrats to the Conservatives. If the NDP ever get full control they will spend Canada into oblivion.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:09 AM

398 posts, read 152,546 times
Just a pet peeve: Canadians are Americans. Anyone from the Arctic Ocean to Patagonia is American. The U.S. does not own the moniker.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:20 AM

3,044 posts, read 2,517,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clue View Post
Good news? Yeah. Pave ways for pro-corporate anti-people neo-con policies.

Here's some prequel:

More prisons. (Even though there's less crime, time to jail pot smokers)
More military spending.
More debt.
More privatization.
More corporate tax cuts.
More pro-oil lobbying.
Less health care.
Less social security.
Less education spending.
CPP will be up on the chopping block, it's already underfunded atm.

The 40% of the voters got what they deserved and now they'll ruin it for the 60% majority. Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot (ex. voting against your own interest, unless your own interest happens to be voting against your own interest and beating yourself up). Stupid people suck hard.
Cheer up! A Conservative majority under Harper is likely to go down in flames the way the old PC party did after Mulroney. Then we can 'firewall' Harper back into Alberta where he belongs.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 AM

3,044 posts, read 2,517,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
A general comment -- I'd be careful about the "separatism is dead" assessment. To Quebecers voting against the Conservatives took precedence on separatism, and it just so happened that their best option was a federalist party. Yesterday's results tell more about the order of importance than opinions.

I guess my point is (in % of seats)
Quebec: NDP 77% Liberal 9% CPC 8% Bloc 5%
Rest of Canada: CPC 69% NDP 19% Liberal 12% Green 0.4%

If you don't see the potential (key word) for a strong revival of the separatist movement in those numbers, I think you have it wrong.
Absolutely. The way PQ voted does not mean the separatist movement is dead at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada