U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:36 AM

312 posts, read 945,401 times

Advertisements

Let's pretend Toronto wasn't close to Hamilton. So just consider the city of Hamilton itself. Which one of these two cities in general is better in your opinion? I chose to compare these 2 cities because of the very close population as well as these are pretty similar in terms of crime I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 06:33 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,138,645 times
Hamilton's crime rate is nowhere near at high as Winnipeg's. Winnipeg is #2 for crime, Hamilton is #26, according to Macleans.

The Most Dangerous Cities in Canada: Overall crime score

Old 06-17-2011, 11:26 AM

301 posts, read 1,187,256 times
Granted Winnipeg's crime rate is sky high versus the rest of the Canada, I'd still say that Winnipeg is a very safe city. I don't have the stats to back it up, but I'd wager that most of the crime in Winnipeg concentrated in one or two areas of the city. As such, I'd have no qualms about moving to Winnipeg if I had to.

Now, comparisons to Hamilton: I'll take Winnipeg. I've been to Hamilton, and although it doesn't deserve the harsh jokes that people routinely make about it, it definitely is a diamond in the rough (emphasis of the word "rough"). It's a pretty gritty town (not always a bad thing), but it definitely isn't a pretty place (save for a few neighborhoods in the city proper). Also, there's simply no way that Hamilton has the history or the number of things to do that Winnipeg has.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:08 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,138,645 times
Stoney Creek, Dundas, and Ancaster are all parts of the city of Hamilton and they are quite idyllic, with the escarpment and very nice homes. And there's some areas up on Hamilton Mountain that are pretty nice looking too. Also I know the OP wanted to ignore the proximity to Toronto, but you can't ignore the fact that Hamilton has easy access to not just Toronto but also Buffalo, Niagara, etc. whereas Winnipeg is totally isolated.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:37 PM

253 posts, read 398,929 times
Jobs, restaurants, the arts, nightlife, cosmopolitan nature, things to do, shopping, museums, theater..........everything goes to Winnipeg except it's main drawbacks of high crime, extremely cold winters, and the mosquitoes.
But I also agree that Hamilton isn't near as bad as it's reputation.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:03 PM

Thanks for your replies! Yeah I understand the close proximity to the Niagara region and Toronto is important. Much better location than Winnipeg I guess. But Which city has a more big city feel to it? Winnipeg or Hamilton? Which seems to have more nightlife and more things to do in general? Which feels more of a big city?

Old 08-13-2011, 05:47 PM

364 posts, read 1,009,293 times
Hamilton.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:34 AM

So even as Winnipeg being the capital cit of Manitoba, Hamilton still feels more like a "big city" right? Like there's more nightlife and things to do in Hamilton right? Or is Hamilton just thought out as a suburb of Toronto? Does Hamilton really feel like a medium sized separate city from Toronto with its own culture? Thanks again.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 PM

873 posts, read 813,931 times
Having visited both cities I can honestly say they are very similar to each other in terms of feel. Obviously no lake or mountain in Winnipeg but the ways the streets are layed out, the downtown area, crime rate, the ages of buildings and the ages of cities themselves and of course the very similar size of both cities make the cities of Hamilton and Winnipeg very similar to each other especially when not counting the location.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 10,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
So even as Winnipeg being the capital cit of Manitoba, Hamilton still feels more like a "big city" right? Like there's more nightlife and things to do in Hamilton right? Or is Hamilton just thought out as a suburb of Toronto? Does Hamilton really feel like a medium sized separate city from Toronto with its own culture? Thanks again.
I've never been to Winnipeg, but I live in Hamilton. It definitely feels urban. While it is close to Toronto, it feels (and is) completely seperate. In fact one of the things I love about Hamilton is that it's NOT Toronto. The lower half of the city (altitude wise) especially feels urban. This is due to the lack of space between the lake and the escarpment (about 5 km), so the lower city is built quite densely.

The problem how Hamilton is perceived by the rest of Southern Ontario can be blamed on the QEW. Instead of passing through the city core, like the highways throuh the GTA, the QEW passes through the industrial part of the city, goving the wrong impression of Hamilton. The 403 gives a much more accurate picture, especially when you're driving east-bound down the mountain (you get a great angle of the downtown skyline).

There are also a bunch of access roads to and from the the mountain, and every one of them has a picturesque view of the city. Along the ridge of the mountain are also a series of parks with beautiful views of the city.

Having spent a significant amount of time here now for the last 6 years of my life, I have also seen the downtown core slowly transforming upwards. There is finally some new high rise construction going on and being planned for again, and the city will have an LRT system by the decades end.

All in all it's a great city with a super low cost of living, low crime, easy access to everything you need, and close proximity to nature as well. I love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada