Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 06:57 PM

235 posts, read 837,396 times

Advertisements

Hmm. I grew up in New Brunswick. I replied to two other posts asking about Harvey and St. Andrew's; let me just chime in here.

Number of vegetarians that I met in my entire life before moving out of NB at age 27: ONE. (Met him at university in Fredericton. He now lives in B.C., incidentally...)

I think you have to understand that there are definite cultural differences in the region. You know those hunters who club the baby seals in Newfoundland every Spring? In Eastern Canada, the vast majority of the people side with the hunters on that issue. That may be repugnant to you, but that's the mainstream culture in the region. Yes, most people there hunt, they believe they have a moral right to hunt, and if you argue with them, they may quote chapter and verse from the Bible to you by way of justification. So be aware. In addition to hunting, most people in rural New Brunswick farm -- so, slaughtering livestock is just a way of life.

I once met someone from rural Ireland who came to New Brunswick to live for a year. He told me that his impression was that it was extremely "socially conservative" (in comparison to rural Ireland, that is).

As much as I love NB, it has its drawbacks, like endemic high unemployment (20% in some counties), a low standard of living and high illiteracy. Actually, the poverty is one big reason for the continued popularity of hunting in rural areas -- meat from one deer or moose can provide a lot of food for a family. Since you brought up the issue of hunting as a major sticking point for you, I think you should carefully weigh what I'm saying here. The realtors might play up what they view as the granola factor of a particular town, but then, they're trying to sell you some property and make a buck, right? Ask them if they can give you some contact info for anyone in the town who knows where to buy tofu. (The silence will be deafening.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada