U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 14,401 times

Advertisements

Just wondering roughly what would be the cheapest safe place to live in Canada for an 18 year old out of high school from the US with $10k saved up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 12:21 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,031,763 times
To work, to study, to holiday -- why do you want to live north of the border?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusednDetermined View Post
Just wondering roughly what would be the cheapest safe place to live in Canada for an 18 year old out of high school from the US with $10k saved up?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:26 PM

I was planning on working for a few years until I can establish citizenship and then study at UoT. So I was wondering where the cheapest place to stay was.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I was planning on working for a few years until I can establish citizenship and then study at UoT. So I was wondering where the cheapest place to stay was.
I don't think that you'll be able to do that unless there is some reason that you will have a right to remain in Canada while you work and establish citizenship. Is one of your folks a Canadian citizen? Are we missing an important piece of information here?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:58 PM

Unfortunately I have no folks in Canada, and the more I research this, the harder it seems. Perhaps it would just be better to get a student visa and pay international fees?

Old 06-23-2011, 01:40 PM

86 posts, read 358,075 times
It would be more legal, that's for sure. You can't just move here like that, you know.

Seriously, if just moving from one country to another without any paperwork or job requirements being involved were at all a possibility, I'd have left Canada for the States a long time ago. Not sure what's so interesting up here for you.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I have no folks in Canada, and the more I research this, the harder it seems. Perhaps it would just be better to get a student visa and pay international fees?
Maybe so, but if I were you, then I'd just pay in-state fees at a local university assuming you've got a decent in-state school that will admit you as a student.

Compare the costs of studying at U of T to those that you might expect to incur at your preferred local school. If they're a wash, then it might be reasonable to consider Toronto. One thing I would caution you about is that although U of T is a good university, it may well be a largely unknown commodity to grad and professional school admissions staff if you want to continue your studies at an American university after you finish up in Canada. Holding a degree from a university with which admissions staff or admissions committee members are not familiar may make it more difficult to gain entry into some your preferred programs in your home country. I'm not saying that this is certain to happen, but it may happen.

For whatever reasons, you may feel disaffected with your homeland right now, but you're young and those feelings may change. I wouldn't do anything that may imperil your chances to succeed at home if I were you.

I wish you nothing but the best of luck as you try to chart your course, my young friend.

Last edited by maclock; 06-23-2011 at 02:09 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 03:44 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,138,645 times
You can do what I did - get a University degree and several years worth of work experience in the U.S., then apply to immigrate to Canada as a skilled worker.

If you did go as a student, there are some schools that offer relatively cheap tuition to international students. I know Newfoundland has cheap tuition and Saskatchewan may be the other one, but I am not sure.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 AM

333 posts, read 699,129 times
Quote:
One thing I would caution you about is that although U of T is a good university, it may well be a largely unknown commodity to grad and professional school admissions staff if you want to continue your studies at an American university after you finish up in Canada.
This is not true. UofT is well-known in academic circles. It has been an AAU member since 1926.

However, international fees at UofT are very high. It would probably make more financial sense to stay in the US for school.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
This is not true. UofT is well-known in academic circles. It has been an AAU member since 1926.

However, international fees at UofT are very high. It would probably make more financial sense to stay in the US for school.
Based on some years spent in the States, I have noticed that many American universities -- even the big fancy ones -- just barely have Toronto on their radars. McGill gets more play down here, mainly because it was a significantly more prestigious place way back when. In most countries, the university community tend to be pretty provincial, and America is no exception to the rule.

Admissions folks love "brand names", and those brand names for English-speaking universities outside of the States include LSE (not as good as North Americans presume it to be I have been told), Oxford, Cambridge and McGill. Sometimes foreigners will mention Toronto in the same breath, but in my experience, people outside of Canada are not always that familiar with its reputation for excellence. Are there excellent universities elsewhere in Canada, the UK, Ireland, New Zealand and South Africa? You can be assured that there are. Some of them are every bit the equal of the best of the best anywhere.

The sad fact is, however, that lay prestige counts for a lot and its hard to shake the short list of incumbents to have lesser-known powerhouse schools mentioned in the same breath as Oxbridge, LSE, McGill, etc. It may not be fair, but that's what I've observed in my travels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or