Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 05:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Some of the logic behind the Canadian implication
Why do Canadians take credit for burning down the White House in the War of 1812, when the British did it? - Yahoo! Answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 03:23 PM

235 posts, read 837,293 times
Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and New Brunswick were scarcely settled by anyone from England before the American Revolution. There were a handful of military outposts, like Martello towers with a few soldiers, but that was it... the more populated British colonies took part in the American Revolution, whereas NB, NS and PEI didn't because there weren't enough civilians living there to do any rebelling.

After the American Revolution, the Loyalists to Britain, the losing side, became refugees and moved north into NB, NS and PEI (and also some ended up in Ontario). "British North America" developed a distinct identity apart from the USA after that point. Maritimers call themselves Maritimers, or Canadians, but never New Englanders. The interesting part, to me at least, is why New Englanders continued to refer to themselves as New Englanders after American Independence -- you would think that they would've been wanting to drop that identity!

Newfoundland was still officially a British colony until 1949, when they had a referendum vote on whether or not to stay as a British colony, or to become a Canadian province. The vote was very, very close. They became part of Canada, although Newfoundlanders do not refer to themselves as "Maritimers"... only people of NS, NB and PEI call themselves that.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:27 AM

301 posts, read 1,327,223 times
No.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Properly speaking the name New England (first used by John Smith in his expedition of Massachusetts) has precedence over all but Acadia doesn't it?

Why on earth would they consider themselves part of New England??

Old 07-18-2011, 05:43 PM

18 posts, read 30,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Newfoundland is a different case altogether. More than a few Newfoundlanders -- particularly those of Irish Catholic stock -- do not think of themselves as Canadian at all.
YES, I known quite a number of them, who align themselves with the Irish and Norse forefathers.

Quote:
They also do not consider themselves to be New Englanders.
Why on earth would they?

Old 07-18-2011, 05:58 PM

235 posts, read 837,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
No.
Is that "No" considering Canada only, or is that "No" referring to "maritimers" in other countries / languages?

Old 07-18-2011, 06:14 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefhunter View Post
YES, I known quite a number of them, who align themselves with the Irish and Norse forefathers.
Newfoundlanders do not have Norse forefathers, reefhunter. The Vikings came, took a look around, stayed for a few years, and then got the heck out. They did not leave permanent, enduring settlements or populations that survive to this day.

Newfoundland's Old World roots are overwhelmingly English and Irish, with very small populations of French, Welsh and Scottish folks rounding it out. Any others in the province from places other than the British Isles or France likely jumped off a fishing boat or immigrated alone or in a small group as opposed to being part of one of the waves of people that Newfoundland received from either England or Ireland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefhunter View Post
Why on earth would they?
You may want to check out the original poster's question.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:27 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
I took the original question to be about the name of a region and not anything to do with nationality. I think it's a reasonable question as the area was setteled mostly by people from the British isles. The name Nova Scotia speaks for it's self though doesn't it. Being myself 100% Scottish decent I can tell you that they would not like to be known as anything "English".

Canadians don't even generally refer to the Appalachians as such when they enter Canada. Geographers do but the people don't and have their own name for the mountains. "Laurentions".

Old 07-18-2011, 08:26 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I took the original question to be about the name of a region and not anything to do with nationality. I think it's a reasonable question as the area was setteled mostly by people from the British isles.
I thought that he was likely asking the question for this reason, too.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:17 AM

18 posts, read 30,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Newfoundlanders do not have Norse forefathers, reefhunter. The Vikings came, took a look around, stayed for a few years, and then got the heck out. They did not leave permanent, enduring settlements or populations that survive to this day.
WRONG - THEY SETTLED THERE - The discovered it - I guess they were in the wrong place for 200 +/- years. before moving over to Greenland. But before they left, they lived with and intermarried Inuit native population. So you can't positively say they aren't any descendants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada