Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:20 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times

Advertisements

I could be wrong, but I think Cornerguy was being a little bit facetious.

An American friend of mine claimed her Brit citizenship because it smoothed the way for her to buy property in England. She did not renounce her US citizenship.

Swearing allegiance to a figurehead monarch with no real powers is a formality which, because of the benefits, some will happily undergo--but I do understand how you feel, Livecontent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 10:31 AM

197 posts, read 1,138,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I have the option of claiming Canadian Citizenship because my mother was Canadian and gave birth to me before she gave up her Canadian Citizenship and became a naturalized American.

I will not do that because I will not take an oath of allegiance to the Queen of England. Monarchies are an antiquated system and should be abolished. Canada should declare itself a Republic and stop all that nonsense with the Queen and her representatives.
Unless your mother went to a Canadian consulate and filled out the paperwork to renounce her Canadian citizenship, she is, and always will be, a Canadian citizen.

If I recall correctly, anyone born in the U.S. to Canadian parents, or anyone born in Canada to U.S. parents, will have to choose (at age 18, I recall) which country they will become citizens of. I know 2 people who were in this boat.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 PM
edk

95 posts, read 543,572 times
As a dual citizen (born in the US, naturalized in Canada) I have the right (this is not just a privilege accorded me by some immigration official) to go to either Canada or the US, stay as long as I want, and work if I wish.

Also, as a person whose US political sympathies usually lie with the Democrats, I was able to vote in the recent Super Tuesday primaries, through an organization called “Democrats Abroad”. I also can, and do, vote in the US presidential election (it looks like Clinton or Obama for me next year), which is, let’s face it, a more important position than anything voted on in Canada.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:01 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,132 times
One big one for our family. My kids are duel-citizens (wife is from Montreal). Additionally, in Quebec if your mother was born in Quebec...you are considered in province for university-tuition purposes. So McGill would potentially be a great bargain.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:10 PM

9 posts, read 47,055 times
Smile Ok

There is a reason for that And it wrks.thnkx.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,295 times
My daughter was born in the US but left when she was 18 months. She has both an American and Canadian passport. She is 20 years old and will be attending school in California in the Fall. If she invokes her American citizenship will she then have to file American taxes forever no matter where she lives?? And if so are they retroactive?? She made a small amount of money the past two summers while going to a Canadian University. She could get an F-1 visa.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenlyons View Post
My daughter was born in the US but left when she was 18 months. She has both an American and Canadian passport. She is 20 years old and will be attending school in California in the Fall. If she invokes her American citizenship will she then have to file American taxes forever no matter where she lives?? And if so are they retroactive?? She made a small amount of money the past two summers while going to a Canadian University. She could get an F-1 visa.
If your daughter has a US passport, she's already a US citizen and therefore legally obliged to pay US income taxes.

Now for the good news.

The US has a foreign earned income exemption; basically the first $85,000 + - is exempt from taxation.

It might not be a bad idea for her to file a US tax return, though, if she has plans on living in the US.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:27 AM

3 posts, read 6,969 times
Default Student residence?

Im a Canadian-US dual citizen, born in California to two Canadian parents. I have lived 7 years in the US and the rest of my life in Canada.

I'm considering moving back to California for my undergrad university, and Im wondering if I am considered a US citizen, and so dont have to pay the "International student" or "Non-resident" tuitions, especially because the only state I ever lived in was California.

Anybody know the rules on this? Do i need a student visa to move back, or can i just go?

Old 03-13-2010, 11:41 AM

32 posts, read 96,654 times
You're a citizen, so you can just go, but as far as I know (and you should check it out with the university and/or state), you won't be a resident until you've lived in state for a year (at least this is the way this works in NJ).

Basically you can apply to the university, you don't have to get any visas, and you can work while you study, you can vote, you can move back and forth between the two countries, but you wouldn't have resident tuition right away...

Old 01-01-2013, 10:24 AM

60 posts, read 98,210 times
If I open an account with my other citizenship (not US) in USA. And later I get divorced or lawsuit or bankrupted or anything like that. Can they get to that account? I think they can't because it's another person' account pretty much. But if they can link you then maybe they can? anyone actually got experience in this and know the answer? What will they ask if you wanna open a bank account in USA with a foreign passport or ID? USA address? ID I guess?, will they check the visa too? because I won't enter USA with that passport...I will enter US with USA passport.thanks guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada