U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 05:37 PM

63 posts, read 175,006 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm currently a sophomore in college at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the US. One of my two intended majors (Global Communications) requires at least one semester studying abroad; however, I'd like to spend my entire junior year in another country. Of the places I'd like to go, Canada seems to be the obvious choice for the following reasons:
  • I'd like to live in an English-speaking country. It's not because I'm afraid of learning another language or being immersed in a drastically different culture; my other intended major is English Language & Linguistics, so one requirement is that I must go somewhere where I can continue studying that.
  • It seems to be a far better political climate for me; not only am I incredibly liberal, I'm also not vehement about politics. My general impression from lurking in this forum is that Canadians, while passionate about social/environmental causes, don't spend all of their free time yelling at those who disagree with them like a lot of Americans do.
  • I live for cold weather. Being from Minnesota (and now living in Wisconsin), I have a general idea about summers and winters in Canada and am comfortable with the freezing winters. Lots of rain is also a plus.
  • I've always had a general admiration for Canada in general, really.
I'm wondering if you all could tell me what you think--is Canada the place for me? I want to be in a large city, and the four I've been looking specifically at are Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa, and Winnipeg.

I really appreciate the responses, and feel free to ask me for clarification if something I've said doesn't make sense!

Last edited by ultravioletfly; 09-24-2011 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 09:17 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,589,248 times
I would say that Canada is a definite fit for you. All the cities you mentioned have their good and bad points. I think for a person like yourself, Vancouver would be the best pick. I say that because it's just totally different than anything you have experienced so far in life. It may not be cold enough for you but just go up to the top of a nearby mountain and chill if you need to. I really love the UBC campus and I know the students there have a really great time.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the response! Vancouver would actually be my top choice; being within driving distance of Washington state, especially the Seattle metro, is a huge plus. My only fear is that I'll never want to go back should I end up there! (I've heard that Canadian immigration is an uphill battle.)

Old 09-25-2011, 06:11 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,169,796 times
Sounds like Canada would be an ideal place for you. Vancouver is a zone 8 (climate wise) though, so relatively temperate, although as lucknow says, you can always head for the mountains to ski and / or just to enjoy the copious amounts of snow that Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains get. The Whistler area is under two hours by car (if my memory serves correctly!) and the drive has gorgeous scenery as well.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 09-25-2011 at 06:27 AM..

Old 09-25-2011, 03:19 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,421,120 times
Take a virtual tour at 'Google Maps'.

University of Victoria is located in the capital of BC province. Victoria is ranked second in Best Places to Live 2011 | Lists | MoneySense. It is close to the beaches, and Washington State is just a ferry ride away.

Although McGill University is located in Montreal, Quebec, its main language of instruction is in English. It is the best, imho.

Montreal has the most international organizations, such as CIDA , IDRC, ICAO ... etc.
I don't know what 'global communications' are about. Anything to do with UN?

Old 09-25-2011, 03:41 PM

Victoria is looking like a really attractive option, especially because UBC (Vancouver) doesn't seem to offer anything even remotely close to Global Studies/Global Communications. My university describes Global Communications as a degree that "focuses on the relevance of language, culture, and identity in understanding innovations in and applications of technology, media, communications, information science and technology transfer," and I believe University of Victoria offers courses relevant to that.

I have considered Montreal, but the language is a huge issue. I know absolutely no French and don't have room in my schedule to study it. :/

Thanks for the responses! Keep 'em coming!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,484,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravioletfly View Post
Hello all,

I'm currently a sophomore in college at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the US. One of my two intended majors (Global Communications) requires at least one semester studying abroad; however, I'd like to spend my entire junior year in another country. Of the places I'd like to go, Canada seems to be the obvious choice for the following reasons:
  • 1. I'd like to live in an English-speaking country. It's not because I'm afraid of learning another language or being immersed in a drastically different culture; my other intended major is English Language & Linguistics, so one requirement is that I must go somewhere where I can continue studying that.
  • 2. It seems to be a far better political climate for me; not only am I incredibly liberal, I'm also not vehement about politics. My general impression from lurking in this forum is that Canadians, while passionate about social/environmental causes, don't spend all of their free time yelling at those who disagree with them like a lot of Americans do.
  • 3. I live for cold weather. Being from Minnesota (and now living in Wisconsin), I have a general idea about summers and winters in Canada and am comfortable with the freezing winters. Lots of rain is also a plus.
  • 4. I've always had a general admiration for Canada in general, really.
I'm wondering if you all could tell me what you think--is Canada the place for me? I want to be in a large city, and the four I've been looking specifically at are Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa, and Winnipeg.

I really appreciate the responses, and feel free to ask me for clarification if something I've said doesn't make sense!

1. English speaking:
That leaves the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand

2. Again, UK, Canada, Oz or NZ

3. That knocks out Oz, though it can get chill in Melbourne, Tasmania, Canberra or Adelaide. But its not Canadian cold. NZ would still be in the running if you stay in South Island. Otago University in Dunedin. It does get snow in that part of NZ.

4. Knocks out Otago as Dunedin is not a large city. Aukland is the only sizable ity in NZ. So yes Canada is it for you. But it also still leaves the UK on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or