Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 12:53 AM

352 posts, read 998,253 times

Advertisements

Anyone been to Alert or Cambridge Bay or any of the far north settlements?
What's the farthest north everyone's been?
Me, the farthest north I've been to Iqaluit in the summer; it wasn't bad actually; I liked it :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,249,202 times
It is my dream to go to NWT, YT and Nunavut. Furthest north I have been is Edmonton

Old 11-01-2011, 09:53 AM

328 posts, read 990,267 times
The furthest north I have been is Timmons, Ontario. You guys put me to shame lol. I would love to go to NYT, Yukon, and Nunuvut as well.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,930,600 times
Farthest north is Inuvik, though only for a couple of days.

Spent a couple of years working out of Hay River, on the south side of Great Slave Lake. Coming from the prairies, I thought I knew all about cold winter winds, but the wind coming across that lake was something else entirely.

Some of the most hauntingly beautiful country I've ever seen, though.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:33 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,719,260 times
Has anyone visited the northern reaches of Canada?

Old 07-13-2013, 12:14 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,930,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Has anyone visited the northern reaches of Canada?
Refer to my previous post.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:40 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,401,202 times
I've been down the Alcan, so the furthest north I've been in Canada was by definition where the highway crosses the border north of Beaver Creek. Wish we'd had time to go up to Dawson.

Interesting border crossing. On every other crossing, your distance into Canada was measured in meters before you had to stop and pass Customs. This border had nothing but three signs. One welcomed you to Canada and to the Yukon Territory. One advised you that driving with headlights on at all hours was the law in the Yukon. A third said CUSTOMS CANADA 27 KM -- ALL VISITORS MUST REPORT. Then I looked around at the ocean of muskeg and realized why there was not a very big smuggling trade here at this unwatched frontier.

Customs officer was pretty friendly (but this was 1996). One guy in one small cinderblock shack. Since we had my future wife's worldly goods piled Beverly Hillbillies-style in her pickup, I had researched Canadian law and learned what we could not bring, and (except for one stupid omission that would have sent me to pay serious penalties but I didn't think about) we were in compliance. The law said you had to have a manifest of all containers and their contents. I insisted that Deb prepare this as she packed, numbering the boxes, and she had done it. We had three copies ready. I really, really didn't want the load ripped apart, and I figured if he asked for the manifest--as he had every right to do--he might be so surprised we'd actually looked up the law that he'd decided we were not the droids he wanted. He didn't even ask. After asking about our citizenships and destination, he smiled, said, "It's the only way to get there eh. Have a safe trip."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada