Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 8,783 times

Advertisements

We have been in Canada since 1969 and have Landed Immigrant Status - we are not Canadian Citizens or hold Canadian passports. I have worked here, paid taxes here and have my home here. I have no intention of ever returning to Greece permanently.

I want to visit Greece (where we have citizenship/passport) this summer for about 2-3 months.

Will I be able to return to my home in Canada after this absence? Do I need any special papers such as Returning Resident Permit? I did this many years ago but realize now that there are newer more strict laws in regards to non Canadian Citizens leaving and then returning to Canada. Would any laws of these laws pertain to my situation?

Stelios A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 05:26 PM

175 posts, read 1,592,666 times
Since you are a permanent resident, you must have the PR card (maple card) and you only need to show that upon returning to Canada.
You never went back to Greece for almost 40 years?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:01 PM

315 posts, read 1,624,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patonikosh View Post
Will I be able to return to my home in Canada after this absence?
This is from CIC's website...

"To keep your status as a permanent resident, you must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period."

http://http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp (broken link)

Old 06-16-2009, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,376 times
i been living in canada since 1980, been here in canada since, never leave canada for even a short period of time but never apply to be a canadian citizen why, cant explain, now my biggest problem is my husband wants to go back home, what to do and how get the necesssary papers, what type of documents do i need to be able to travel to the philippines and back, our plan is to travel this year, my kids are all born here in canada but my husband or i were not canadian citizen but both landed immigrant my husband arrived here in canada 3 years after me. pls help.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:32 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymel View Post
i been living in canada since 1980, been here in canada since, never leave canada for even a short period of time but never apply to be a canadian citizen why, cant explain, now my biggest problem is my husband wants to go back home, what to do and how get the necesssary papers, what type of documents do i need to be able to travel to the philippines and back, our plan is to travel this year, my kids are all born here in canada but my husband or i were not canadian citizen but both landed immigrant my husband arrived here in canada 3 years after me. pls help.

So you have status in Canada as a Permanent Resident as does your husband, but neither of you has applied to become citizens.

As a Permanent Resident, you have the right to re-enter to Canada; you do not require a special visa, etc.

You should inquire with Citizenship and Immigration Canada about whether you will require the newer Permanent Resident card which has your photograph. You should also ensure that your children have Canadian passports.

If you are only going to the Philippines for relatively short period of time, (months rather than years), there shouldn't be a problem with your PR status.

Contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada through their toll free number available from their web site.

Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Old 04-08-2010, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 6,063 times
i have lost my pr card but i have landed immigration paper so can i comback to canada

Old 04-08-2010, 06:54 PM

22 posts, read 87,517 times
Unless you're going to reenter Canada by road you're going to require your PR card per Guide 5445 - Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english//information/applications/guides/5445E2.asp#tphp - broken link).
I don't mean to be rude but I'm thinking loud that many immigration questions' answers can be found from the CIC website (Welcome Page | Page d'accueil) if people care to search.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,149 times
Default Permanent Resident moving away from Canada

I will be severing ties from Canada in order to take advantage of tax-free status in the country I am moving to related to a job transfer. I will likely be away from Canada for 3-5 years or more. I do not want to give up my Canadian legal status (i.e. Permanent Resident) but I understand I must be a resident of Canada for 2 years of the previous 5 in order to keep it. Will I have to reapply for Permanent Resident (PR) status when I decide to return to Canada in the future? Will the fact I had PR status help to get it again in the future?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patonikosh View Post
We have been in Canada since 1969 and have Landed Immigrant Status - we are not Canadian Citizens or hold Canadian passports.
Stelios A.
Maybe its time to become a Canadian citizen..

Old 10-26-2010, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,121 times
I was in Canada in 2008 as immigrand and I was waiting for Court to call me. in 2009 I left to work in Iraq with US military, now the Court is witing for me, but I am not allow to enter in Canada for I think 3 years. It's any way to enter in Canada example with Court promission? Chances to get CA citizenship are good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada