Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 06:32 PM

311 posts, read 1,138,077 times

Advertisements

I've been hearing a lot about how Vancouver is the warmest city in Canada with the best climate. However, I also heard that Windsor, Ontario has one of the warmest climates in Canada too. I heard that Windsor's winter is pretty mild compared to the rest of Canada. It has more snow than Vancouver but I think the winter temperatures can be similar Overall it is one of the warmest ci8ties in Canada along with Vancouver. So which climate do you prefer? Which city do you think has the better weather? Windsor or Vancouver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 07:53 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,483 times
You're comparing a humid continental climate to a coastal temperate climate. One that experiences huge extremes (Windsor) with cold (sub-zero and snowy) winters and hot humid summers, to one that doesn't experience as much fluctuation throughout the year temperature-wise (Vancouver) - it's rarely below zero in the winters, it's rarely hot in the summer.

Windsor has four distinct seasons. Vancouver is more of a two season city: wet winters and springs, and dry/warm summers and autumns.

A quick look at a Windsor climate chart shows that the summers are the rainiest times of the year - the complete opposite from Vancouver. The wiki on Windsor shows they typically have 55 days of snow on the ground in Windsor. In Vancouver it can vary from 0 to 14 days. Often it's never cold enough for snow to stick around in Vancouver for longer than a day or two.

Where are you from?

It's like comparing... I don't know... Detroit, Chicago, or Cleveland to Seattle. The west coast is always milder and less extreme because the Pacific Ocean keeps the temperatures warmer in the winter than at equivalent latitudes further east in the continent. But it's also the ocean that keeps the summers cooler than further east.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 PM

311 posts, read 1,138,077 times
Ahh I see okay. Not really comparable. I guess Windsor just has more extremes. Thanks for posting! (:

Old 12-14-2011, 10:33 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,099 times
Wouldn't comparing those two cities be kind of like comparing NYC to San Diego climate-wise? Not the snow part of course. LOL

Old 12-15-2011, 11:03 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,793,351 times
If you want to avoid snow and cold within Canada, Vancouver and the surrounding coastal areas are the best.

If you want heat, I'd recommend either interior BC ( dry heat ), like the Okanagan area, or southern Ontario ( humid heat ), in Windsor and surrounds.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:14 PM

84 posts, read 302,926 times
Windsor is very hot and humid in the summer (you will not survive without air conditioning). It can be very cold in the winter though. The weather is often changeable here (thunderstorms are common too) whereas the weather in Vancouver seems a bit more 'dull'.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:04 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
Ahh I see okay. Not really comparable. I guess Windsor just has more extremes. Thanks for posting! (:
LOL. True. Windsor weather = Detroit weather (they are across each other). And Van is more Seattle.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:44 PM

28 posts, read 316,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
Wouldn't comparing those two cities be kind of like comparing NYC to San Diego climate-wise? Not the snow part of course. LOL
Not really because Vancouver is far from being sub-tropical like San Diego. Though they do have palms in Vancouver; it's still a chilly climate.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:17 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucker View Post
Not really because Vancouver is far from being sub-tropical like San Diego. Though they do have palms in Vancouver; it's still a chilly climate.
I believe the climate in Vancouver is called sub-mediterranean.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:25 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada has a moderate oceanic climate (Koppen climate classification Cfb) with summer months that are typically dry, often resulting in moderate drought conditions, usually in July and August. In contrast, the rest of the year is rainy, especially between October and March.

Like the rest of coastal British Columbia, the city is tempered by the warmer Southren Pacific Tropical Currents and is also sheltered by the mountains of Vancouver Island, to the west. These influences contribute to making Vancouver the second warmest (after Victoria) of Canada's major cities overall, despite the fact summers are cooler than most other major cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada