U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2012, 01:48 PM

9,400 posts, read 7,630,695 times
Default Need a new citizenship card ASAP

Hi all,

I'm a Canadian citizen living in the USA (where I'm a green card holder). I need to renew my expired passport, but unfortunately I cannot for the life of me find my citizenship card. I mailed in an application for one about a year ago but I haven't heard ANYTHING from the Canadian government since then. I tried calling the Canadian embassy here in DC and they weren't too helpful.

What is the fastest way of getting a replacement citizenship card?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 03:30 PM

1,270 posts, read 1,994,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I tried calling the Canadian embassy here in DC and they weren't too helpful.
Speak to their Consular Section. They are helpful, but some offices work half-day etc. so you need to find out their working hours & days.

Washington, D.C.
Embassy of Canada
501 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20001-2114
Tel: (202) 682-1740, Fax: (202) 682-7619, webmaster@canadianembassy.org
Territory: Eastern Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia, District of Columbia
Quote:
The Consular office should be able to guide you.

They can expedite it, if you have to travel by a certain date and you've travel itinerary/airtickets etc to back up.

Fyi
Application for a citizenship certificate under Section 3

Old 01-09-2012, 03:54 PM

Thanks! It's not for travel (although my dad and his girlfriend are getting married in November, but I don't think they've booked anything yet), it's convenient to have. Although I do think I need to have a passport in order to replace my social security card (I sure am good at keeping these documents ).

Old 01-09-2012, 07:41 PM

3,098 posts, read 2,106,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Hi all,

I'm a Canadian citizen living in the USA (where I'm a green card holder). I need to renew my expired passport, but unfortunately I cannot for the life of me find my citizenship card. I mailed in an application for one about a year ago but I haven't heard ANYTHING from the Canadian government since then. I tried calling the Canadian embassy here in DC and they weren't too helpful.

All this time I had no idea you were Canadian

Old 01-09-2012, 11:23 PM

It's pretty much by name only. Got it through my dad when I was born, I've never even lived there. I like visiting though

Old 01-10-2012, 02:43 AM

19,711 posts, read 15,452,939 times
You could apply for the Canadian passport by claiming Canadian citizenship by descent, it will require you to submit your Dads Canadian birth certificate along with your own Birth certificate and any other required documents in the passport application process..
Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

I thought they only gave out Canadian citizen ship cards to actual Canadian residents..

Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,732,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I thought they only gave out Canadian citizen ship cards to actual Canadian residents..
Nope, my son (Canadian citizen because both his parents are) got one while we were still living in the US. It did take a lot of time though (about a year), not sure why it would take as much time for a replacement card, although as with everything immigration-related this is a highly bureaucratic procedure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada